First Lifer Alchemist Nuker for Reaper Raids

Ying

5000+ hours played
As part of Lava Diver's first lifer raid challenge, I created an alchemist nuker. Note that there are quite a bit of restrictions with this build:
  1. No more than one +2 attribute tome
  2. No more than one +5 attribute tome
  3. No reaper points spent
  4. No raid gear, or any item that requires Threads of Fate or Commendations of Heroism.
  5. No past lives
  6. Cannot use rare consumables that are only found randomly in chests, from daily dice rolls or otherwise have a limited supply within the game. Examples:
    1. Mana potions
    2. Radiant Forcefield potions/scrolls
    3. Long lasting USP/MP/RP potions
    4. Fireshield Cold/Fire potions
    5. Alchemical potions (Intimidate, +3 stats)
    6. Event cookies
    7. Scarab of spell absorption
  7. Rings of spell storing are permitted, as are remnant potions, Commendation of Valor potions, vendor spellpower potions and Yugo favor potions.
  8. Any number of +3 skill tomes are permitted
  9. All enhancement trees and epic destinies are permitted
  10. Remnant tomes +1 or +2 are permitted
  11. Maximum sentient XP: 60k (7 filigree slots)
  12. Maximum enhancements points spent: 80 (no tomes)
  13. Maximum epic destiny points spent: 61 (no tomes)
  14. 32-point builds are permitted
In many ways, it's like an end-game character you might find on the hardcore server. This character actually started it's life during hardcore season 9.

I've run this character though half of the Legendary quests, completing R3 without any reaper points spent. It was definitely a slog for some of them, and it wasn't flawless. But I got the job done. I'll be doing a deep dive of this build with @Griglok (Karatemack) this upcoming Monday night during the "Fixer Upper" segment on the DDO Stream.

First Lifer Alchemist Nuker (U67)

The Narc

A perfect example of the destructive power of the Alchemist, clearly it puts to rest the argument by others in other threads saying that the alchemist needs more help to balance it out.

• Haha
Reactions: DBZ

Unuys

A perfect example of the destructive power of the Alchemist, clearly it puts to rest the argument by others in other threads saying that the alchemist needs more help to balance it out.
You are living in your own delusions, no one said alchemists needs more help to balance it out. I think I spelled it out like 4 times already that objectively speaking the CL they get in the tree are completely useless and compared to other nukers that have MCL increases they deserve some aswell. This fact doesn't rely on alchemists being weak or strong - it isn't even a part of the discussion. I am not sure if maybe English is too hard for you but you need to reread everything that was written in that post and maybe repeat that a few more times to be sure your brain can comprehend what is written. Worst case scenario use google translate or some AI translater to help you understand.

@Ying Nice work, any reason you went alchemist as the first life choice rather than Druid or Sorc?

Ying

5000+ hours played
@Ying Nice work, any reason you went alchemist as the first life choice rather than Druid or Sorc?
Druid is mana hungry, so not my first choice with the limitations we have. Sorc (Cold) would probably work well. Cold is preferred as the primary element due to the 5% crit chance and 50 spellpower from 4pc Frozen Wanderer. And from an epic destiny perspective Magus of the Eclipse T5 is hard to beat.

The Narc

You are living in your own delusions, no one said alchemists needs more help to balance it out. I think I spelled it out like 4 times already that objectively speaking the CL they get in the tree are completely useless and compared to other nukers that have MCL increases they deserve some aswell. This fact doesn't rely on alchemists being weak or strong - it isn't even a part of the discussion. I am not sure if maybe English is too hard for you but you need to reread everything that was written in that post and maybe repeat that a few more times to be sure your brain can comprehend what is written. Worst case scenario use google translate or some AI translater to help you understand.

Thanks for the direct insults you are attempting, i will just ignore them.

Again you use the words “compared to other ther nukers”, which in plain english indicates that you are looking for balance with other casters(snip - will avoid an insult about your language here)

Secondly increased CL can be a help in that tree if the build involves multiclassing, which would make that choice useful in particular cases, maybe just not in your purple skied world.

And done here

Mic Drop

Last edited:

Unuys

Thanks for the direct insults you are attempting, i will just ignore them.

Again you use the words “compared to other ther nukers”, which in plain english indicates that you are looking for balance with other casters(snip - will avoid an insult about your language here)

Secondly increased CL can be a help in that tree if the build involves multiclassing, which would make that choice useful in particular cases, maybe just not in your purple skied world.

And done here

Mic Drop
lol I am not sure where to start, this is a classic example of someone that knows something about nukers talking to someone who doesn't have any clue. Keep thinking you are right, there is no point in arguing with someone like you sadly - but hey I tried

Reactions: DBZ

Sheikra

I've almost never played alchemist, only once in heroics. What does a standard rotation look like at endgame? And how do the DCs fair in endgame content (R2-R4ish)? Most of my time at cap is spent on melee or tanks haha!

Ying what's your thoughts on an alchemist build increasing damage dealt by focusing on transmutation/illusion for Mass Flesh to Gold/Flash Freeze and GCS and heavy on helpless damage via Falconry, T4 Shadowdancer, and gear set assuming good DCs?

Ying

5000+ hours played
I've almost never played alchemist, only once in heroics. What does a standard rotation look like at endgame? And how do the DCs fair in endgame content (R2-R4ish)? Most of my time at cap is spent on melee or tanks haha!

The most important thing about Alchemist nuking is spiking Pyrite reaction every 12 seconds for the 90 spellpower and 50% spellpoint reduction. A starting rotation would be:

Bitter Frost Burst (Crimsonite) -> Voltaic Burst (Gildleaf): It spikes Pyrite, applies -5 MRR debuff and triggers Cold and Electric damage from your Primal Mantle.
Epic Strike: Storm Catcher to apply the -16 Reflex debuff and 25% spellpoint reduction for 4 seconds:
Elemental Combination for Burning Ambition dice
Multivial SLA
Multivial
Vein Freeze if Zero Degree Comet is on cooldown
Voltaic Burst to trigger the Primal Mantle electric damage or Melt Armor for PRR debuff if it's not applied (lasts about a minute)
Caustic Overload for AC/PRR debuff

After that you'll have to cast a Cerulite spell like Bottled Boost: Spell to get out of Pyrite, so you can re-spike the Pyrite reaction.

Mobs with a high Reflex save like archers suck to damage, so you'll want to target them with Turn to Frog. Even at a 91 DC it works ok against them.

Ying what's your thoughts on an alchemist build increasing damage dealt by focusing on transmutation/illusion for Mass Flesh to Gold/Flash Freeze and GCS and heavy on helpless damage via Falconry, T4 Shadowdancer, and gear set assuming good DCs?

As a first lifer, you can realistically only focus on two schools to max out because of limited epic destiny points and gear. GCS is really good because every mob has to save against each effect individually, so you're bound to hit it with at least one. Transmutation is a core part of the class with lots of great spells, and you can temporarily get +5 Transmutation DCs from spiking the Verandite reaction.

I specifically chose not to go with Transmutation and Illusion because my focus is raiding with this character. If I was going with a balance of questing and raiding, I'd go the traditional Conjuration and Transmutation route.

Helpless damage is definitely the way to go if you're building an uberpletionist alchemist, including T4 Falconry (which still allows you to pick up GCS in the racial tree) and Crush Weakness. T4 Shadowdancer and the helpless damage aug set I'd have to noodle over.

Ying

5000+ hours played
Thanks again to @Griglok (Karatemack) for having me on last night to discuss the build. Ninety minutes goes by pretty fast, and we had to handwave over the gear selection. So if you have any questions about the gear, I'm happy to dive deeper in this thread.

Also, I had put together a Love/Gripes list with Alchemist to discuss if we had time. Since we didn't, I'll post it here to spark some conversation.

Love:

1. Don’t have to be facing the mob to throw vials at it. “You are not facing your target” is one of the most frustrating things about other casters.
2. Alchemist is a top tier nuker. 1400 cold spellpower (boosted) on a first life toon without reaper points is phenomenal.
3. It's got built-in elemental immunity stripping, and the first vial of Multivial removes that immunity so the remaining 3 vials do full damage. The lack of elemental stripping is why I stopped playing Warlock.
4. Multivial is an excellent nuke spell - only Meteor Swam better IMO due to Sorcerer cast speed and cooldown.
5. At level cap you can solo R3 Legendary quests with 0 reaper points, if you're patient and knowledgeable about the quest.

Gripes:

1. Elemental Obliteration (T5 bombardier) is only MCL 10 base, which caps at 17. Requires an epic feat for it to be worthwhile (MCL27) at end-game. That's lame for a T5 ability.
2. Reactions don’t trigger when there’s lag, and SSG has been unable to address lag long-term.
3. No real choices for level 6 spells. Would love a single target nuke for bosses.
4. No great secondary enhancement tree. Feydark is just “ok”: +4 INT, 31 USP, 2% universal crit. Apothecary is pretty bad, other than Life Salve.
5. High skill ceiling with spiking Pyrite reaction every 12 seconds, while maximizing damage. Not easy because Alchemist spells have a wide range of cooldowns between 3-12 seconds. <insert meme of calculus floating around Katee Sackoff's head>. Sorcerer is a much simpler class to play, so it's much more accessible to the player base.

Epic Destiny Gripes:

6. Magus: You can easily "miss" with Time Stop. For something that's supposed to be an epic moment, it's totally lame and disappointing when you activate Time Stop and nothing happens.
7. Primal Avatar: Storm Catcher epic strike requires a hard target. Targeting requirements need to be the same as spells where the recticle target is honored.

Last edited:

Alternative

1. Heroic leveling is slow/tedious until you get level 3 AoE spells at character level 6.
2. Capstone Multivial SLA requires a hard target. I think all the SLAs do. Targeting requirements need to be the same as spells where the recticle target is

1. Inflict vials are surprisingly good for early leveling. I tried it one HC season and had great success with negative/poison spec until lvl 12 when multivial kicks in. Apothecary also shined at early levels with additional inflict SLAs and built in MM immunity.

2. I don't think the SLA ever required a hard target. Until recently it couldn't be ground targetted, but after a recent SLA update it now can and behaves exactly like the spell version, at least for me. Are you seeing different behaviour?

I agree that alch could use a 1 or 2 more solid spell options. Everyone seems to be fixated on multivial being strong, but once both spell and sla are on cooldown, it kinda feels like I'm sitting on my hands (yes, I do spike and cast other stuff, but still) and dragon breath nerf really hurt my build and playstyle.

Currently I'm waiting for the cap increase to seriously explore other options, and your insights are going to be very useful. Thanks for posting.

Ying

5000+ hours played
My mistake about the SLA targeting -- it's actually Storm Catcher epic strike in Primal Avatar that requires a hard target to use. I fixed that above.

Great point about the Inflict SLA.