Flaming sphere champion?

FaustianBargain

This one was new for me - running Chains of Flame I ended up dealing with a flaming sphere that kept dropping the Soul of Cruelty acid dot on me. Got up to about 10 stacks and 200ish points per tick before I realized the source - it was even adding a stack on made saves, and then ran around wildly playing keep away while the sphere hit the timer. I love that the game still has some surprises.

Mornyngstar

Learned last month to keep greater dispel scrolls or the spell itself, in order to deal with flaming spheres.

Thorntoe

After reading this, I now have questions.

I'm not a long time player, maybe 3 years, but when I run into a monster that casts flaming sphere I have always switched to a bow, shoot the sphere with a couple of arrows and the sphere stops flaming.

I see the duration is 1 minute for the spell, but I have never had one last that long.

Are the monster cast flaming spheres a much shorter duration and they're just expiring?
Are my arrows actually doing nothing and something else is causing them to cease?
What else could it possibly be?
I've used plain arrows in Menechturan, Phiarlan Carnival, and anywhere else I've run into a flaming sphere, and it has always worked.

kmoustakas

Scourge of Xaos
This one was new for me - running Chains of Flame I ended up dealing with a flaming sphere that kept dropping the Soul of Cruelty acid dot on me. Got up to about 10 stacks and 200ish points per tick before I realized the source - it was even adding a stack on made saves, and then ran around wildly playing keep away while the sphere hit the timer. I love that the game still has some surprises.
I think you always get stacks on made saves, which makes a room full of cruel champions deadly.

TUF_rpg

yeah I ran into this in Hard Core season 4 when it was a Silent One champion doing force damage and silencing me. that ball almost got me. it was terrifying and amazing.

mbartol

Murder Hobo
After reading this, I now have questions.

I'm not a long time player, maybe 3 years, but when I run into a monster that casts flaming sphere I have always switched to a bow, shoot the sphere with a couple of arrows and the sphere stops flaming.

I see the duration is 1 minute for the spell, but I have never had one last that long.

Are the monster cast flaming spheres a much shorter duration and they're just expiring?
Are my arrows actually doing nothing and something else is causing them to cease?
What else could it possibly be?
I've used plain arrows in Menechturan, Phiarlan Carnival, and anywhere else I've run into a flaming sphere, and it has always worked.
When I’m playing a ranged life, I’ll shoot the flaming spheres to destroy them as well. It surprised me the first time, and I was a little disappointed that melee didn’t work.