Forgotten Realms "Pack" Please!

PyrotechRick

I love DDO but one of the issues I have had trying to get others to play (especially those who are familiar with D&D through the Forgotten Realms and games like Baulder's Gate) has been that Ebberon is not what they expect of a D&D game.

When Ruins of Myth Drannor is released it should be possible to play in the Forgotten Realms from approximately level 13 to legendary level (Ruins of Myth Drannor, followed by Shadowfell Conspiracy/The Mines of Tethyamar, followed by Druids Deep, followed by The High Road of Shadows, followed by The Secret of the Storm Horns, and then into Menace of the Underdark/The Haunted Halls of Eveningstar/Shadow Under Thunderholme). For those that are less keen on Ebberon (or at least Turbines implementation of Ebberon) and would like a more traditional fantasy setting, it would be fantastic to be able to purchase a pack that supported play in the Forgotten Realms.

If a pack was available that combined the existing adventure packs, plus with a little extra support, such as transport between the different areas (Eveningstar, Wheloon, Myth Drannor etc.) that would be great. Maybe a couple of NPC's in Myth Drannor who talk about how Eveningstar and Wheloon are in need of the help of adventures.

If a little extra could be offered such as a few more Forgotten Realms Deities and the option to tag characters at creation as either "Ebberon" or "Forgotten realms" that would be amazing. Maybe even a Veteran III option so we could start new characters at an appropriate level in Myth Drannor and adventure from there.

Upvote 0

droid327

The packs are all available for those that enjoy them

I don't see the point in engineering a system just to help players avoid parts of the game, though

Plus from what we've heard, WOTC is very protective of FR and idk if they'd be on board with SSG marketing an exclusively FR experience. We're supposed to be an Eberron game that ventures into other settings.

PyrotechRick

The packs are all available for those that enjoy them

I don't see the point in engineering a system just to help players avoid parts of the game, though

Plus from what we've heard, WOTC is very protective of FR and idk if they'd be on board with SSG marketing an exclusively FR experience. We're supposed to be an Eberron game that ventures into other settings.
As you say though, all those adventure are already part of the game, if someone preferred to focus their experience on those adventure pack, is it really that awful to make it a bit easier for them to do that? I don't dislike DDO's Eberron content and am happy to play it, but my experience is that it does put some people off.

droid327

is it really that awful to make it a bit easier for them to do that?
I mean...kinda, yeah :D

There's no reason to discourage them from trying Eberron etc. by facilitating them voluntarily insulating themselves. That's basically institutional segregation lol

They may not all like it, but some will - though they might not ever try it if you just let them stay in their comfort bubble. You do them a disservice by enabling their MMO agoraphobia.

PyrotechRick

I mean...kinda, yeah :D

There's no reason to discourage them from trying Eberron etc. by facilitating them voluntarily insulating themselves. That's basically institutional segregation lol

They may not all like it, but some will - though they might not ever try it if you just let them stay in their comfort bubble. You do them a disservice by enabling their MMO agoraphobia.
It's like swimming. Lots of people like it, but I think fewer would if they where thrown in the deep end of the pool and left to fend for themselves. That's kind of what DDO does with Eberron. There is this very complex game AND this very different/detailed setting. Forgotten Realms is a well known, familiar and (though I'm not always sure why) well liked setting. I think its a much better "gateway drug" to Eberron than trying to sell them absentia, dragonsblood, or dream lily straight off the boat.

Oliphant

Eveningstar never provided anything that resembled FR vibes that I ever played. I was never into the Drow underdark dreary slavery tales. Myth Drannor is the next hope.

Deathbringer

Grim Lord of the Dead + Since 2010 +
I always played FR on pen and paper, but when starting playing DDO I had no problem playing in Eberron setting, the essence of D&D is there!
If someone love D&D, it doesn't matter the setting, would love in some extent DDO 🤷‍♂️

droid327

Waterdeep, man! Waterdeep... waterdeep... undermountain...
Specifically disallowed, AFAIK. There is no overlap allowed in the licensing agreements for the various studios that have the rights to different parts of Faerun. So they can never go to ES, and we can never go to Sword Coast etc.

Toblakai

So much this.

I am convinced DDO would have been a lot more popular if it was based on Waterdeep and Undermountain.

Instead we have Stormreach and kobold sewers 😩
I probably would have ignored DDO back in 2006 if it was FR. I was running an Eberron campaign back then and was never interested in the Forgetful Realms.

PyrotechRick

I always played FR on pen and paper, but when starting playing DDO I had no problem playing in Eberron setting, the essence of D&D is there!
If someone love D&D, it doesn't matter the setting, would love in some extent DDO 🤷‍♂️
We should try to remember that those of us who are still here are a self selecting cohort of people who either like, or at least don't mind, the Eberron setting. I have known people leave because they didn't while loudly complaining that it wasn't the Forgotten Realms, but they don't post on these forums as they are long gone 😟.

Grausherra

Specifically disallowed, AFAIK. There is no overlap allowed in the licensing agreements for the various studios that have the rights to different parts of Faerun. So they can never go to ES, and we can never go to Sword Coast etc.
So ridiculous if true. 'Hey, I want a FR game but I'm low on cash, can we license... maybe Sespech and Sossal? And a 20 mile square patch of desert in Turmish? I know we can't shell out enough cash for Sembia like I'd hoped.'

The_Apocalypse

Eberron is little too steam-punk'ish for me (but it's tolerable). I like the feel of Forgotten Realms better, but Greyhawk was my favorite.
I say this ALL the time! Unfortunately, everyone says Greyhawk will never happen. Which sux, because all of the best modules are set in Greyhawk; all of the best monsters started in Greyhawk. They kinda side-stepped some of the modules into DDO, but are totally avoiding the word "Greyhawk".

FaceDancer

Olde Wurm
Yeah... Greyhawk is a no-go unfortunately (aka legal spaghetti) My hope though is they may be able to pull more from Greyhawk's mythos. I remember the first time I ran into the Scarlet Brotherhood in Saltmarsh and got REALLY excited! 🤤 I would truly love to see some of the olde modules brought in for nostagia's sake. I wonder if they could do anything with Blackmoor?

Dunspartacus

Well we are supposed to get an adventure pack in Q2 I think. Don't think we've gotten any hints about it, but considering all the hidden hand packs we got before Vecna Goes to College I wouldn't be surprised if we got something leading into the myth draenor expac stuff, which would probably be FR based so maybe you'll get some cool stuff.

Deathbringer

Grim Lord of the Dead + Since 2010 +
We should try to remember that those of us who are still here are a self selecting cohort of people who either like, or at least don't mind, the Eberron setting. I have known people leave because they didn't while loudly complaining that it wasn't the Forgotten Realms, but they don't post on these forums as they are long gone 😟.
Sad.. but they miss it! There is no other game online with D&D vibes and so much build customization

Vox

We have the chronoscope, we could do any D&D adventure from any time period.

I'd still love to see Ruins of Adventure (Pool of Radiance if you played on computer) reborn into DDO.