Genuine question: Why doesn't VIP spell swap apply to Wizards?

cursedblessedone

Trigger Me Elmo
Because don't you Know?

iu

Lacci

They need go to a trainer. The trainer is the place where they have the list to choose the spells to change. The buff for spontaneous casters is effectively permanent blood of dragons (well... very clumsily coded, since you have to relog to get it again after an hour).

edit: only tested on a mule warlock on my brother's account, but it should work the same on all spontaneous casters.
So we can at least agree that this part of the perk doesn´t work as advertised, regardless of whom it was intended to affect or not...

YeeboF

A wizard can change spells at will in any bar. They can even change them at a rest shrine in the middle of a dungeon.

Is having to find a bar to change spells than much of a huge inconvenience? How many public areas don't have a bar anyway? Gatekeepers grove is the only one I can even think of. Ok and I see someone brought up Sharn docs. So that's two. Maybe Lordsmarch plaza? That one little zone leading up to the 12? There aren't a lot in any case.

Regardless, I think it's pretty obvious why it only applies to sorcerers/ FS/ Warlock:

1. Other casters don't really need it since they can already change spells almost at will. Even if you are stupid or impatient enough to head into a dungeon with the wrong spells prepped, just fix them at the first shrine.

2. It's dead easy for them to flag "blood of the dragon" on at all times for those casters, and it doesn't break anything else. On the other hand, they likely don't have an easy way to do something similar for the other casters because they use a different system. For example, it they flagged "in a bar" on all the time for them, they would also no longer need to go to a bar to med up after a wipe. It's likely not worth investing the dev resources to code up this new minor perk for casters that can already change spells almost at will anyway.

3. It probably never occurred to them that wizard/ clerics ect. would even care, since see 1. Of course DDO players being who they are, that was a bit naïve . . .

Last edited:

Lazuli

Well, I would say that what is obvious is that spontaneous casters cannot change spells in any public area (only in their trainers), and that they still cannot do so with this perk, so... have you really read what published in the release notes, and cited here?

I suppose not...

Ahpuch

There is a significant difference between *swapping* and *changing* a spell.

Swapping a spell is done by a trainer. The prior spell is no longer in your spell book and you have to go see the trainer again to get it back

Changing a spell is done in any tavern or rest shrine. The spell is still in your book and can be used again at almost any time, just change it back the next tavern or shrine.
That parsing of words is assuming a lot more clarity and consistency by SSG than they have ever shown. And then your interpretation of the correct effect requires you to ignore at least half the words in the release notes about this perk. Which is rather odd if one is assuming precise language by SSG.

Your interpretation may be correct but other interpretations seem at least as feasible. I am not certain why you need to insist those interpretations can't be correct.

Given that this thing works by giving you Blood of Dragons buff i think we can put to bed the question of what the devs intended it to be.

Some terms and TL;DR may apply
Not at all. That is the implementation, not the intent. If that was all it was meant to do it would have been easier and more correct to list the perk as "All VIP characters get 1 hour of Blood of Dragon effect on login of that character". That is what the character is actually getting.

Instead they wrote text that talks about swapping in any public area. So either the release text is wrong or the implementation is wrong. Looking at the implementation doesn't tell you which is wrong. (If you were correct then this game is completely bug free because the implementation defines the intent. It was implemented to crash some players game when raptors roar. Not a bug!)

This thread exists for the devs to clarify the intended behavior. The players do not have the knowledge to clarify as much as they seem to be insisting they do.

TedSandyman

I get that.

What I can't wrap my head around is; Why all those casters, who can swap spells daily (multiple times per day actually), believed that they needed some special perk. Like going to a tavern was WAY too hard to do.

Why did so many people think this would affect them when they didn't need this perk?

It used to be that you couldn't log out without going into a tavern. What a stupid idea, right. Glad they changed that. It wasn't hard to do, but it was a needless restriction.

No, it isn't that hard to go to a tavern to swap spells. But it is still a pain when you should just be able to do it as long as you aren't in a dungeon.

TedSandyman

A wizard can change spells at will in any bar. They can even change them at a rest shrine in the middle of a dungeon.

Is having to find a bar to change spells than much of a huge inconvenience? How many public areas don't have a bar anyway? Gatekeepers grove is the only one I can even think of. Ok and I see someone brought up Sharn docs. So that's two. Maybe Lordsmarch plaza? That one little zone leading up to the 12? There aren't a lot in any case.

Regardless, I think it's pretty obvious why it only applies to sorcerers/ FS/ Warlock:

1. Other casters don't really need it since they can already change spells almost at will. Even if you are stupid or impatient enough to head into a dungeon with the wrong spells prepped, just fix them at the first shrine.

2. It's dead easy for them to flag "blood of the dragon" on at all times for those casters, and it doesn't break anything else. On the other hand, they likely don't have an easy way to do something similar for the other casters because they use a different system. For example, it they flagged "in a bar" on all the time for them, they would also no longer need to go to a bar to med up after a wipe. It's likely not worth investing the dev resources to code up this new minor perk for casters that can already change spells almost at will anyway.

3. It probably never occurred to them that wizard/ clerics ect. would even care, since see 1. Of course DDO players being who they are, that was a bit naïve . . .
If it is easy to do or or not is so not the issue being discussed.
It was to be a new VIP perk that you didn't have to go to a tavern. A cool minor gift for VIPS. But it doesn't work. That is the issue.
There was a time when you had to go to a tavern to log out. Any restriction is still a restriction. If you are getting ready to enter a dungeon, think oh I need to change out a spell. Then run back to a tavern to do it, it is a pain in the neck, and you might need it before the first shrine. Some dungeons don't even have shrines. When you should just be able to swap as long as you haven't entered the dungeon.

Praun

If it is easy to do or or not is so not the issue being discussed.
It was to be a new VIP perk that you didn't have to go to a tavern. A cool minor gift for VIPS. But it doesn't work. That is the issue.
There was a time when you had to go to a tavern to log out. Any restriction is still a restriction. If you are getting ready to enter a dungeon, think oh I need to change out a spell. Then run back to a tavern to do it, it is a pain in the neck, and you might need it before the first shrine. Some dungeons don't even have shrines. When you should just be able to swap as long as you haven't entered the dungeon.
Spoken like someone who's never played Dungeons and Dragons ... SMDH