Has negative levels source to Monsters on melee?

Qtcreator

Hi everyone, I found some people on melee negative the monsters ,maybe roll 20, but I wanna know how to negative monster on melee, by augment or something,can someone tell me?

Geezer

There are rubys that do such on a vorpal hit. Ruby of Endless night is the ony one I can think of atm, you can get one in the Night revels festival at Haloween time. There are weapons that do such too, even random loot.

Phoenicis

Savage's Husband
any of feeding or of draining weapon will neg level mobs when you hit with a nat 20 and confirm the crit.

seph1roth5

It's not a very useful effect vs monsters, because on any difficulties that matter they're going to regenerate them fast enough, and on lower difficulties you're better off just using dps spells rather than try to energy drain/enervate them. Don't think melees can do it any faster than vorpal, maybe a 3-5% chance on hit.

It's not a very useful effect vs monsters, because on any difficulties that matter they're going to regenerate them fast enough, and on lower difficulties you're better off just using dps spells rather than try to energy drain/enervate them. Don't think melees can do it any faster than vorpal, maybe a 3-5% chance on hit.
My tempest ranger main uses Rubies of the Endless night in all of his weapons, from lvl 1 all the way up to cap. It procs quite often, and I never go more than a few seconds without it going off. That’s probably because I max out melee attack speed, so it applies more frequently.

It’s not supposed to be an end all/be all, but it essentially gives me another layer of debuffing I can apply (along w/ dust, salt, ooze, etc…).

Qtcreator

My tempest ranger main uses Rubies of the Endless night in all of his weapons, from lvl 1 all the way up to cap. It procs quite often, and I never go more than a few seconds without it going off. That’s probably because I max out melee attack speed, so it applies more frequently.

It’s not supposed to be an end all/be all, but it essentially gives me another layer of debuffing I can apply (along w/ dust, salt, ooze, etc…).
Yea, I was found this with EK, it’s so frequently.
This negative level debuff monster-10%hp right?

Dragavon

This is both right and wrong.
Yes monsters regenerate the lost levels quickly.
But monsters do not regenerate the hitpoints lost. You will see that if you look at the monsters maximum hitpoints if you have monster expertise from the monster manuals.
I have seen monsters go from 55 000 maximum hitpoints at the start of a fight to 28 000 maximum hitpoints just before dying. So level draining also drains hitpoints and is useful in that way. Like the debuff from the shambling mounds in Baba raid.

G.W.

Only if they are near maximum when they lose the level. If the new maximum is higher than their current hit points, it wouldn't reduce their hp.

Xaerxiessia

Lost in Translation
Drain-Vampyr-Endless-Night-Bow.jpg

it may be worthy to notice that the negative level effect of draining and feeding is cumulative with the ruby of Endless Night : 1 vorpal -> 2 levels

(Combat): You attack Windlasher Gnoll. You roll a 20 : you critical hit! (Combat): You roll to confirm a critical on Windlasher Gnoll. You roll a 10 (+49): Critical Hit! (Combat): You hit Windlasher Gnoll for 65 points of electric damage. (Effects): You benefit from your Temporary Hit Points. (Effects): --- Enhancement modifier to Temporary Hit Points: +5 (Combat): You hit Windlasher Gnoll with Negative Level. (Combat): You hit Windlasher Gnoll with Energy Drain. (Combat): You hit Windlasher Gnoll for 5 points of fire damage. (Combat): You heal 3 points of damage from Weapon's Vampirism Effect. (Combat): You hit Windlasher Gnoll for 4 points of light damage. (Combat): You hit Windlasher Gnoll for 13 points of acid damage. (Combat): You hit Windlasher Gnoll for 274 points of pierce damage.

saekee

long live ROGUE
Ruby of the Endless Night can slot into any weapon w/ red augment slot.

Another option is Life Stealing, which is found on a few named weapons…. https://ddowiki.com/page/Life_Stealing
Life stealing can also appear on ML24 Estar weapons.

Just to add:

There are other paths in enhancement trees. One pale master shroud modifier (Inflict Weariness - Your attacks inflict 2-9 (1d8+1) points of Negative Energy damage to a living target. This scales with 100% Spell Power. Your Vorpal Melee Hits cause Energy Drain, inflicting 1 Negative Level on victims. Bug: Neg levels apply on crit instead of on vorpal.) and also Henshin my-stick has a powerful effect tier 5 (Every Light Casts a Shadow: Dark Ki Melee Attack: Perform an attack with +2[W] damage. On Damage: Target suffers 1d4 Negative Levels. All nearby enemies suffer 1d2 Negative Levels.). Even ninja spy has a finisher that can do it but a pain to set up: Wave of Despair: Your Touch of Despair finisher also causes all nearby enemies to suffer one negative level.

I think there might be some hidden subtle effects on named gear like ToD assassin rings (If have Assassin III Enhancement: chance with weapons to apply a Level Drain effect., references older enhancement trees so may no longer function)
or something similar.

Anyway it is the Henshin Mystic tier 5 that neg levels like crazy. Add a staff of shadow to the mix I suppose, and even do a multiclass with PM.

Last edited:

Tilomere

My understanding is that it is WAI that one can't really can neg level or stat drain anything that matters due to multi-strike proc nerf stacked on top of various wards the game has in place.

Last edited:

FuzzyDuck81

The ruby of endless night can make a noticeable impact with certain builds, particularly with pswf (also gxbow mechanics) granting double the proc chance, so swashbucklers in particular can really benefit from it. Throwing one on a weapon that already has a level-draining effect can be quite fun & I always enjoyed having it on legendary echo of blackrazor when 2hf could get double vorpal range... i might try a legendary envenomed blade later for giggles.

calouscaine

Grouchy Vet
Pale masters get a neg/drain on hit if you spec it, it's seemed fairly useful in the past. It's a shroud upgrade.

Looks like some one posted this, though, a pale master monk might be an interesting level draining combo.

Fisto Mk I

Pale masters get a neg/drain on hit if you spec it, it's seemed fairly useful in the past. It's a shroud upgrade.

Looks like some one posted this, though, a pale master monk might be an interesting level draining combo.
On crit, not on hit, and must do it on vorpal really, lol. Not sure if this bug persist currently, and anyway it's non-WAI. ;)

Arcanaverse

Solver of Secrets
30 sec ICD? Tnx but no tnx! ;)

I never said it was a good idea! lol. If a woo-woo build were to return in any form I imagine it would use multiple sources of the woo. So who knows.

To be fair, I'm not convinced that is fully accurate as it looks like there was a change at some point but because the effect is... 'not meta' I suspect it needs re-testing/verification