Have a laugh or help me

GutterBallet

This might be the dumbest thing I have ever done but hey, YOLO, right?

So, I'm a real newbie. I have no idea where or how to start, and starting things at 40 might not be easy. But here I am, asking for advice. So where do I look for the most beginner friendly guides? Like the ones with pictures , in "for dummies" books style LOL - because I'm kinda antisocial and I don't want to bother people asking trillions of questions, if there is a chance to figure it out myself. There might not be, though 🤣 Should I just forget about elves, dwarfs, kobolds and start crochet? Idk.

Also, forgive my poor English, I'm not a native, just trying my best.

Vox

Welcome to the game!

Checkout Strimtom's youtube channel, specifically the beginner basics playlist:

Feel free to join the unofficial DDO discord" https://discord.gg/ewEncxRNjn (and Strimtoms): https://discord.gg/Zgh9VSx
Both good places to ask questions, or just lurk and read up on things.

Bookmark the unofficial wiki, and use it to look up anything about the game you may not be sure about: www.ddowiki.com

Also check out the DDO subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/ddo/

And there is a DDO facebook group, application required.

If you love popcorn & drama & deep mechanics discussions hidden in wads of spiteful trolling: www.ddovault.com

The official forums are.. a bit hit or miss. It's basically a salt mine of trolls and splashes of good & helpful souls, and for all practical sense basically no input or response from the dev team.

For stats & nerdery: https://www.ddoaudit.com/

Lots of other resources, server specific discords, server specific chat channels, but that can all come with time.

It's a very fun game with loads of layers. Very expensive and/or time consuming to fix build mistakes, but almost anything can level eventually and restart via the reincarnation mechanic.

Ask lots of questions, community is pretty helpful.

Xgya

Really depends on personal preferences.
If you like reading, DDOWiki is your bestest friend when it comes to quests and finding out where what equipment is found.

If you're more of a listener, I second that Strimtom suggestion for new, interesting builds using the latest the game gave out, and a lot of his videos specifically cater to people that are just starting out, or just learning about certain mechanics.

Buddha5440

Also, do not be afraid to ask questions here or in game. Questions will get you good responses and lots of feedback. It's the complaints about:This is OP, This update sucks, This got Nerfed, etc. that draw the negative responses.

Asking for information/advice will get you a ton of good advice (although some of it will be much more involved than you will need as a new player).

Beyond that, DDOWiki is your friend as are the links offered above.

WELCOME to the game! :)

Last edited:

Jack Jarvis Esquire

Welcome to the game! 😃👍

It is a pretty deep game and can feel a little overwhelming at times, but it's the depth that will keep you playing, and for years if you get to love it. There is always something new to learn, explore, and challenge with new/evolving goals.

DDOwiki is a great source of reference, and very comprehensive, but whilst it will tell you "what", aside from quest tips, it won't necessarily tell you much "how".

For the "how" check out the vids as folks above have mentioned, and you can also learn a lot by observing discourse on here.

Lastly, whilst it may not be comfortable to do so, and you shouldn't feel you have to, please don't worry about asking "stupid" questions. Everyone here has done it, and there is always a learning opportunity in the answers. As I say, that continual learning and game depth are what keeps many of us here for years.

Good luck and have fun. It is a game after all. 😁

Oh yeah, and PS: DON'T DIE!* 😧👍

*or if you do, just laugh and learn, in the full knowledge that EVERYONE else here has too. Repeatedly. 😂👍

Muggins

The biggest regret of my DDO career was that my first week I didn't have a distance weapon and I needed a distance weapon to get shamans in waterworks that would leap up on the walls out of my reach. Because I had no idea what an auction house was, or where to buy weapons (or bolts for that matter), I used my first 100 tp to buy a +1 crossbow in the ddo store. 15 years later and I still rue that decision. So my biggest advice is don't buy anything in the ddo store until you understand the game a whole lot better. And look around in Harbor, go into the stores, talk to the merchants, talk to the banker in harbor, talk to the auction house guy in harbor. Really get a feel for the Harbor map. And tick your quiver and collectable/gem/ingredient bags so they auto-collect.

FaceDancer

Olde Wurm
If you don't have a buddy to guide you it is a bit rough to start out. I've been playing a couple of years and I'm still learning new stuff!
Keep at it! Be patient! Ask questions! DDO is far from perfect, but it is a great game (warts and all).

As has already been stated... the Wiki is your best resource!

A thread that may help: https://forums.ddo.com/index.php?threads/2023-new-player-info-and-links.90/

Welcome to the forums!

Free bags for your characters! Talk to these NPC's:

Buddha5440

If you don't have a buddy to guide you it is a bit rough to start out. I've been playing a couple of years and I'm still learning new stuff!
Keep at it! Be patient! Ask questions! DDO is far from perfect, but it is a great game (warts and all).

As has already been stated... the Wiki is your best resource!

A thread that may help: https://forums.ddo.com/index.php?threads/2023-new-player-info-and-links.90/

Welcome to the forums!

Free bags for your characters! Talk to these NPC's:

To be fair, most of the warts are on Trolls, Trogs, and Bullywugs (as well as a few kobolds but they 'hate that' when you point it out).