Hey SSG. You want people to become VIP? I got a foolproof plan.

Greyhawk5

Was Amorais
If people still think that SSG actually cares about VIP after the announcement the other day, you've gotta get out from under the rock you're living under.
I genuinely think the developers themselves do, but the company itself not really. I really wish I could win the lottery and actually pump some life into the game instead of it being on life support for the last ten years...

Fizban

25% Heroic and Epic xp bonus for VIP's. It's that simple. You like making money, right? You enjoy being able to fund stuff for future projects, yes? With this one simple trick, you too can entice players to subscribe for VIP. Just give VIP 25% bonus xp for Heroics and Epic leveling.
/Not signed

I'm VIP and will continue to be. I don't need or want a 25% XP bonus.

Last edited:

Drunken.dx

I am confident the one thing SSG completely understands is monetization. If there was a way to extract more money from players, it would be implemented
not really...
SSG fails utterly at gaining money from anyone except biggest spenders, who instantly buy anything new, no questions asked.

rest of playerbase is ignored by their monetization tactics.

they can't comprehend any of the common monetization tactics used by other games that are designed to squeeze money out of low spenders.

Example: genshin impact has cheap pack that's considered to good to pass up even by staunch F2p players, but the catch is that you need to log in daily to get your moneys worth.

that tactic WOOOSHES over SSG's head.

and these "loyalty rewards" are only good to those who care about cosmetics, since there is barely any long term loyalty reward from it (too much stuff in it is one time only)

there have been TONS of good ideas made by community but SSg ignored them for this... JOKE..

I could literally assemble better loyalty rewads in 15 minutes that would be cheap from SSG's point of view and seen as great deal by most of playerbase.

Lazuli

They will get more people Paying $12 per month for sure! Then lose on people buying pots in the store.
I don't think so, the pots stack with the VIP bonus, and many people would be tempted to buy them to further accelerate their progress.

But that would lead to the creation of even more PLs. Because, you know, the hundreds there are currently are few.

Jummby

not really...
SSG fails utterly at gaining money from anyone except biggest spenders, who instantly buy anything new, no questions asked.

rest of playerbase is ignored by their monetization tactics.

they can't comprehend any of the common monetization tactics used by other games that are designed to squeeze money out of low spenders.

Example: genshin impact has cheap pack that's considered to good to pass up even by staunch F2p players, but the catch is that you need to log in daily to get your moneys worth.

that tactic WOOOSHES over SSG's head.

and these "loyalty rewards" are only good to those who care about cosmetics, since there is barely any long term loyalty reward from it (too much stuff in it is one time only)

there have been TONS of good ideas made by community but SSg ignored them for this... JOKE..

I could literally assemble better loyalty rewads in 15 minutes that would be cheap from SSG's point of view and seen as great deal by most of playerbase.
The free to play model is supported by whales spending money ro win. That keeps the game going.

One thing I wonder if they miss though, is keeping the entire player base happy. All the free to play people and small time spenders maintain the game simply by having a player base and people to have whales to play with.

They should.look at it as an ecosystem that that needs to be kept in balance. It they keep disrespecting free players or players that just make regular purchases, they would have a major issue.

If all the people who aren't huge spenders left, who do they play with and how long will they keep playing?

Jummby

But someone said they reached 54 million in revenue in 2023!
3000 people playing DDO made them 54 mil? Are you sure you aren't throwing LOTRO earnings in there too? Is it 54 mil revenue or 54 mil EBIDTA?

There's a big difference.

I won't touch LOTRO, so no clue what it makes. I hear it had a much bigger player base. I know it has lag too l. so I stay away. I have enough lag with DDO.

Ike

/Not signed

I'm VIP and will cvontinue to be. I don't need or want a 25% XP bonus.
Then don't be VIP if the changes come out. That's one of the primary reasons for being VIP for most players is the increased VIP experience bonus. You can use the adventure pack codes and be premium.
3000 people playing DDO made them 54 mil? Are you sure you aren't throwing LOTRO earnings in there too? Is it 54 mil revenue or 54 mil EBIDTA?

There's a big difference.

I won't touch LOTRO, so no clue what it makes. I hear it had a much bigger player base. I know it has lag too l. so I stay away. I have enough lag with DDO.
That's what was mentioned in the downtime page(s).
Also, SSG had 54 million in quarterly income last quarter.

My company had about 1/5th that and we mantain 9 nines of uptime. Its not money...
Also, for clarity, pretty sure the poster Kyrr was being sarcastic.

• Haha
Reactions: DBZ

Kyrr

Then don't be VIP if the changes come out. That's one of the primary reasons for being VIP for most players is the increased VIP experience bonus. You can use the adventure pack codes and be premium.

That's what was mentioned in the downtime page(s).

Also, for clarity, pretty sure the poster Kyrr was being sarcastic.
I was being sarcastic, yes.

Nickodeamous

Hey all,

This is a simple business case to be honest. My company does these sorts of tests all the time. There is a retention tactic (VIPs get 25% xp), and an acquisition tactic, new VIP subs get 25% XP. However, without knowing the total existing base count, the ARPU (Average Revenue per unit), the existing base and new customer base churn curves, and the Gross adds (new subs)/month, all the thoughts below are just things that I would look at if I were working for SSG.

Existing Base
Pros
  • less churn - less people leaving the VIP platform because they see more value in the product now
  • Benefits alts - you want to level your alts don't you? well, not you can do it 15% faster
    • More alts = more XP pots purchased
  • a 15% boost on XP would like to about 3.2 hours saved on every life vs. 1.3 at 10%. Faster lives leads to alt-aholics perhaps running more lives
10% Bonus25% bonus
Heroic XP3,800,0003,800,000
VIP Bonus10%25%
Total XP saved380,000950,000
XP/Min5,0005,000
Mins saved76190
Hours saved1.33.2

Cons
  • Maybe you buy 30% vs. 50% pots now. Negligible price variance, but I would argue, that you still buy those 50 pots

New VIP Acquisition
Pros
  • Lift in VIP subscription - maybe you are willing to buy VIP now, but weren't before
    • if 5% of the non-VIP subs sign up to pay $99/year, that's 5% more than we had before
  • new sub churn would be lower as they would see more value
Cons
  • I don't see one, but let me know if you do

Br4d

No they are one of the worst at extracting money out of their players but they know everytime they miss a target they can release a coffer and make up the difference.

I have spent 20K hours with DDO and every penny they got out of me was given begrudgingly. Contrast to a mobile game I picked up during Covid I happily spent more in a year on that game than 17 on DDO.

The trick is to make the players feel like they are getting value out of their purchases which is super easy with digital assets and yet SSG can not seem to manage it even with such a loyal fanbase.

The real problem with DDO's monetization is that it is very sloppily configured such that new players who make purchases are probably 50/50 to rue the purchase almost immediately.

I'm a vet with 14+ years of play time and I still have a checklist that I follow for most store bought procedures and many crafting procedures because I will double-dog screw myself if I just do what seems intuitive.

It's like shopping in a clothing store with gremlins hidden in the racks and they bite hard and with no remedy when you miss something that is so easy to miss.

I don't think this is intentional on SSG's part but you never know.