Hires that are decent to use

rabidfox

The People's Champion
Someone had suggested me posting the hires that I think are good recently and since I just made this post on another thread, I'm copy/pasting it as it's own entry. I'd grab the name of all the hires in my dim. hire folder but the game is down so will have to do that later. Add any hires you think are really good/solid to this post.

Basic hire guidelines to make your life easier:
Cleric/FvS for most content (yeah, I know there's a few non-divine hires that work but this the easy to remember method). When using a cleric/FvS follow these rules:
No AoE cures/heals. If they list mass cure as one of their active spells, don't buy them. Those with AoE heals tend to heal poorly.
Use ones with AoE damage attacks (you can use non-aoe hires at really low levels). It doesn't matter which spells they have: holy smite, flame strike, firestorm, cometfall, etc. They're all good.
Use the highest level hire you can that meets both of these rules (unless you're fighting mobs that heal off fire in which case you'll want to use the holy smite/cometfall ones). If that means using a hire lower level than you because that's the last one that met these requirements then that's fine. From level 19 onwards, use Caraneth Myar; she tends to outperform any option available afterwards.

Exceptions:
Use Byron at level 1.
Mikayl the Pious if you need ddoor for quest.
Epic rogues if you need them to speed up a quest, like for the underdark door instead of searching for the key
As many gold seals from expansions as you feel like using to fill additional party slots (worse case, they act as a meat shield and/or get 1-shotted).

rabidfox

The People's Champion
Fergus, level 8 cleric. Stops for traps, heals me, heals himself most of the time :)
Try Nimeth at level 8; she spams holy smite and is equal a mix of killing machine and heals in one. =)

Duerim, level 13 FVS...free DW, if you need more than 13 min, you are moving to slow :)
That's a good one. I'm so used to having all DW clickies that I never need that hire these days, but really nice for those that need DW.

Almghandi

Fergus, level 8 cleric. Stops for traps, heals me, heals himself most of the time :)
Duerim, level 13 FVS...free DW, if you need more than 13 min, you are moving to slow :)

Saal :)
Fergus was mostly failing to heal me in my runs at that level.... but in general i take the hires that can "summon monster"

Larafey at lvl 15 is the best. just need to watch to make sure she doesnt run out of sp

Almghandi

the main problem i find with the "epic" healing hires is that they only have stuff like mass heal... and nothing that can quickly provide healing

Saaluta

Founder and altogether cool gamer gurl
Try Nimeth at level 8; she spams holy smite and is equal a mix of killing machine and heals in one. =)

That's a good one. I'm so used to having all DW clickies that I never need that hire these days, but really nice for those that need DW.
yeah, I have lots of clickies too, but sometimes it is just easier to put a bunch of hires in folder for those lever quests(maze)

Saal :)

rabidfox

The People's Champion
the main problem i find with the "epic" healing hires is that they only have stuff like mass heal... and nothing that can quickly provide healing
That's why I keep using the lvl 19 hire into epics. Any of them with mass heals will pretty much just let me die while trying to get that cast off.

kmoustakas

Scourge of Xaos
Someone had suggested me posting the hires that I think are good recently and since I just made this post on another thread, I'm copy/pasting it as it's own entry. I'd grab the name of all the hires in my dim. hire folder but the game is down so will have to do that later. Add any hires you think are really good/solid to this post.

Basic hire guidelines to make your life easier:
Cleric/FvS for most content (yeah, I know there's a few non-divine hires that work but this the easy to remember method). When using a cleric/FvS follow these rules:
No AoE cures/heals. If they list mass cure as one of their active spells, don't buy them. Those with AoE heals tend to heal poorly.
Use ones with AoE damage attacks (you can use non-aoe hires at really low levels). It doesn't matter which spells they have: holy smite, flame strike, firestorm, cometfall, etc. They're all good.
Use the highest level hire you can that meets both of these rules (unless you're fighting mobs that heal off fire in which case you'll want to use the holy smite/cometfall ones). If that means using a hire lower level than you because that's the last one that met these requirements then that's fine. From level 19 onwards, use Caraneth Myar; she tends to outperform any option available afterwards.

Exceptions:
Use Byron at level 1.
Mikayl the Pious if you need ddoor for quest.
Epic rogues if you need them to speed up a quest, like for the underdark door instead of searching for the key
As many gold seals from expansions as you feel like using to fill additional party slots (worse case, they act as a meat shield and/or get 1-shotted).
Anthem, level 6 warforged bard. Has bard song, rage, blur. Casts cure light wounds if you are hurt and has a wand of sonic blast.

BREAKS BREAKABLES! BREAKS BREAKABLES!

On a warforged artificer, it's happy times at level 6 with arti puppy repair enhancement, turret and Anthem.

With that out of the way, there's a level 8 and a level 12 FVS hireling with holy smite-to. They murder things in aoe. They also die very fast but hirelings like to do that either way. The level 15 FVS hireling casts destruction on everything. Surprisingly it works more often than not!