How CL and MCL work for spells

rabidfox

The People's Champion
Many folks look at the combat log and assume that's what level their spell is casting at, but CL (caster level) in the log is based off bunch of different values and has nothing to do MCL (max caster level). You can cast a spell with MCL of 10 and see CL40 in the log, but it's casting at 10 cap because MCL is 10. You could also cast a spell with a MCL of 100 and see CL40 in the log & it would be cast at 40 effectively. You don't see any details or info about MCL in the logs, you just see the potential CL of spell that's capped by MCL (a hidden value unless you math it out by hand).

The CL you see for heroic spells is roughly mathed out with class level + epic/leg knowledge feats + items that boost CL + heroic trees that boost CL. Epic ability's CL are roughly mathed out with character level (which is 20 + epic/leg levels) + epic/leg knowledge feats + items that boost CL + heroic trees that boost CL.

MCL is mathed out via spell/SLA's original MCL + epic/leg knowledge feats + any heroic tree stuff that effects the MCL of that ability.

If CL>=MCL then MCL is the value a spell is cast (and capped) at. if CL<MCL then CL is the value a spell is cast at (and it has potential room to be cast stronger if one increases their CL).

Lazuli

Well, the logical thing is that the log will show the CL at which you are really casting the spell, that is, with the MCL. In pnp it makes sense to keep full CL because damage evocations have SR, but in DDO they've removed that.

Or better yet, that the log would say Spell is casted at X CL (Y MCL).

Most people understand how the MCL works. But to understand DDO logs we often need a PhD, because their format is anything but clear.

rabidfox

The People's Champion
Where MCL is calculated is apparently way down the code calculation pipeline vs when the combat log comes into play (from what devs have said in the past). Tonquin has mentioned looking to make it display the correct values. I've had to explain the CL/MCL concept multiple times the past week (and many many times over the years), so figured this guide post would be easier to quote/link to than re-typing the same thing over and over again. I await the day that this thread is no longer needed.

Most people understand how the MCL works.
My dealings with various people over the years tells me many don't.

Lazuli

There are always people who get lost with the rules, but many understand it, especially if they have played D&D. Now, the logs are another story, they are not at all clear in capturing much information.

rabidfox

The People's Champion
And thanks to an UI update, CL/MCL info is now way easier to understand without having to do pocket math for stuff.

TunotJd.jpeg

DBZ

Tested alchemical clubs those do not seem to be working at all is that a bug wai or will it ever get fixed