How do I use a knock scroll?!

JustMe74

I'm running into some issues with quests because I can't open locked doors, and my strength is not high enough to bash them down. I'm level 6, and doing quests in the Marketplace at the moment.

I bought a few Knock scrolls (I'm a Wizard) because I don't know the Knock spell (or even if you can get it). How the heck do you use a scroll?! When I double click on it, it equips the scroll. How do I use the scroll on the locked door? I've tried clicking on the door, but it seems to want to attack. I've tried double clicking on the scroll in my inventory while it's equipped, but that doesn't work either.

What am I missing?

LeoLionxxx

Lion of Orien
IIRC, you need to:

- Equip the Scroll
- Have the Scroll on your hotbar
- Right click to select the door (or other locked thing)
- Click or double click on the scroll on your hotbar

Rauven

Child of Dhurinda
To use a scroll place it on a quickbar, equip the scroll like a weapon, and then use the scroll from the quickbar. Since you are trying to unlock a door be certain that you have the door selected before you use the scroll (same goes for trying to unlock a chest).

That said, you can learn the spell from that scroll. Knock is a level 2 spell so you will need level 2 inscription materials, which you can purchase from Agrimor 'The Summoner' in the Marketplace. The wiki has full instructions on how to inscribe spells to your spellbook.

JustMe74

To use a scroll place it on a quickbar, equip the scroll like a weapon, and then use the scroll from the quickbar. Since you are trying to unlock a door be certain that you have the door selected before you use the scroll (same goes for trying to unlock a chest).

That said, you can learn the spell from that scroll. Knock is a level 2 spell so you will need level 2 inscription materials, which you can purchase from Agrimor 'The Summoner' in the Marketplace. The wiki has full instructions on how to inscribe spells to your spellbook.

Thank you! I just inscribed a scroll and now I don't have to worry about locked doors in quests!

Enoach

the other option for locked doors that can be bashed open - grab a wand of fireball from the marketplace vendor. Point and shoot. Works just like bashing a door down for low strength or when knock/lock picks are not available.
An advantage of this is that you can stand back so doors with traps on them would put you out of range potentially. Or at least have distance between you and what is on the other side of the door

Misadventure

Killing everybody on Hardcore with pleasure.
the other option for locked doors that can be bashed open - grab a wand of fireball from the marketplace vendor. Point and shoot. Works just like bashing a door down for low strength or when knock/lock picks are not available.
An advantage of this is that you can stand back so doors with traps on them would put you out of range potentially. Or at least have distance between you and what is on the other side of the door
I thought you suppose to bash the lock with the scroll? 🥴

Onyxia2016

I though you had to say "Knock, Knock..." and wait for the door to answer "Who's there?"
Sorry, just had to say it. :p

bookmarked

Wait, you can break down some doors? Are you talking about real locked doors or just "doors" like where someone put up some wooden planks like at the start of Redemption?

DYWYPI

Yes, bookmarked, some doors can be physically smashed down; it's mentioned in a few quests within the DDO Wiki, if you bother to go hunting deep enough.

See: https://ddowiki.com/page/Update_46_Patch_2_Release_Notes#Quests_and_Adventure_Areas

DDO Wiki – Update 46 Patch 2 Release Notes said:
[...] Doors that are breakable with melee strikes can now be broken with ranged attacks. ...

For example, it might explain alternatively a thrown weapon also would work, without the need to reach a specific 'Minimum Strength' requirement, etc., for certain "breakable" doors. The Xorian Cipher, comes to my mind for obvious reasons, where it briefly touches upon such "bypass" mechanics. If anything those specific changes in [U46.2] is short-sightedness from the Developers'.

There are some doors that do "auto" open when you pick their lock. In fact most "breakable doors" can be unlocked with 'Open Lock'. There are several generic Levers that you can also unloosen with 'Open Lock', just off the top of my head; Spies in the House, Bargain of Blood, Search and Rescue, The Haunted Halls of Eveningstar and The Underlane Assignment... There'll be more, but I cannot recall, which at the moment.

ODU5aYM.jpg

The Forgotten Caverns: Locked "breakable door" example.​

Also there are tonnes of breakable doors that can also optionally be unlocked – a lot more than most people realise... On the whole most people will break the doors down if they have the ability to smash them to splinters, etc.

Last edited:

calouscaine

Grouchy Vet
Yeah, they should do that more often instead of the 'these random peons who dug a tunnel have made a super duper magical door in the dirt that can't be picked or bashed'.
Doors and such should have a pick/bash/ or go find the key option. It shouldn't be limited to just one. But that's just my view as a dm.

HoopleHead

Wizard: "I cast Fireball"
DM: "Um, the room is only..."
Wizard: (interrupting) "I..... cast...... Fireball...."
Ivan: "If he dies... he dies..."

Titus Ovid

Mover and Shaker

You don't need fireball any more or something similar. Any bashable door can be bashed with throwing weapons, no str needed. Ther is one in sorrowdusk,iirc and 3 or 4 others. So it is not so bad.

Cheers,
Titus.

bookmarked

Is there a way to tell which doors are "breakable" - by looking at or examining them? Or do you just swing or throw something at every locked door you come across (making everyone think you have a deep hatred of all doors :) )?

Out of curiosity, since you can use Sonic Blast to smash normal breakables, does it also open "breakable" doors?

Thanks!