How useful is Spell Resistance in Legadary Elite content ?

lppmor

We can also split my question in 3 parts:

1) Against which spells specifically worth having SR? Generic stuns and web for sure.. but any other special usability for it?
2) Pale Masters already have lots of immunities. I'm already immune to stuns, instakills and compulsions. So, worth also investing in SR as PM? For what specifically?
3) How high you need to get to see actual results from SR? Is it enough having item+insightful+6 from Deep Gnome in my case?

Last edited:

Almghandi

1) I know SR does not work against damage, so against which monster spells specifically worth having SR?
2) Pale Masters already have lots of immunities. Worth also investing in SR as PM?
3) How high you need to get to see actual results from SR?

It stops me casting Lvl 8 Holy Aura on myself or the party....

SpartanKiller13

1) I know SR does not work against damage, so against which monster spells specifically worth having SR?
2) Pale Masters already have lots of immunities. Worth also investing in SR as PM?
3) How high you need to get to see actual results from SR?
1) CC, instakills. Basically all non-direct damage spells that aren't physically creating an object (like Web makes a web).
2) Probably not. A lot of what SR helps against is mind stuff which you're immune to, or instakills which you're also immune to. Get a FoM item, a buddy with FoM, or an eternal FoM pot and that plus your buffs will mostly cover ya.
3) I've heard 60ish doesn't do a whole lot, but a little more than just item/insightful item is supposed to get into the viable range. Over 100 works on pretty much everything from what I've heard from OS builds. I've tested none of this.

The best use-case I've heard is for raid tanks; apparently a surprising amount of raid boss attacks get blocked by SR. Also haven't tested this, but some of my guildies have.

dur

aka Cybersquirt
SR/MRR/Spell Saves for us.. am I missing something? *Saves v Poison/Disease? Saves v specific schools...

Do Creatures have all these values as well?

SpartanKiller13

SR/MRR/Spell Saves for us.. am I missing something? *Saves v Poison/Disease? Saves v specific schools...

Do Creatures have all these values as well?
Some do, yes, or similar things.

Like Drow have Spell Resistance, some mobs have MRR (although all I can think of is the champs in the extreme challenge Sharn quests), and mobs get a save bonus against certain stuff as well, like instakills - like Burst of Glacial Wrath gets to no-fail around 108 for LR8, but 112 Turn to Frog fails a bunch in LR6 (both are Fort saves).

Sarlona Raiding

1) Against which spells specifically worth having SR? Generic stuns and web for sure.. but any other special usability for it?
2) Pale Masters already have lots of immunities. I'm already immune to stuns, instakills and compulsions. So, worth also investing in SR as PM? For what specifically?
3) How high you need to get to see actual results from SR? Is it enough having item+insightful+6 from Deep Gnome in my case?

Web doesn't have a spell resistance check (its highly effective against spell resistant mobs like golems, drow). A soundproof augment is great for stuns. Spell absorb can also be used situationally as an alternative to spell resistance.

A high will and fort save with no fail on a 1 is really good protection against most things.

The last time I built specifically for spell resistance is when Epic Orchard was end game and all my characters got wrecked by the beholder reducing my stat below 0. I built a 20 barbarian occult slayer with spell resistance over 100 and I was completely immune to the stat damage and could power through that quest easily.

I tried to build for spell resistance with an acoltye of the skin warlock to test what # was useful in legendary, but it's bugged so that every time I logged off I would lose a bunch of spell resistance and only get it back by resetting all my of enhancements which is too much of a pain to even bother testing it. I bug reported it and reported it on the forums and it never got fixed and likely never will.

With that said, I haven't encountered anything like the ghosts of perdition end fight used to be where spell resistance made an otherwise difficult fight easy. Of course, stat inflation has gone up significantly since then and orchard was stat squished. So you can power through that with average dps today and can't really compare to how difficult it used to be without spell resistance.

Archest

if your will saves are low you need it

Spell Penetration check[edit]​

Spell Resistance (SR) is a special anti-spell defense possessed by some creatures. Spell Resistance is an additional layer of defense against most non-damaging magical attacks, in that it adds an extra roll that the caster has to make for his magic to "land" on that target.

Spell Resistance only matters if the spell's creature actually has it, and the spell being cast is one that can be stopped by Spell Resistance. In DDO, spells that most purely cause damage ignore Spell Resistance.

Spell Penetration is the act of trying to penetrate that defense. Spell penetration roll is a caster level check, i.e. you roll 1d20 + caster level. This roll is modified by additional bonuses listed below.

works in reverse for you.
give you an extra chance to stop hold person
SR check then a will save check

as an enchanter you need spell penitration to enchant monsters.

if your will save is 23 and you have SR of 15 then your save from hit = 23+15 or 38 to block and then a 2nd chance of 23 to block for the spell not to land. with out sr you get 1 roll of 23 to block.
i believe he spell for spell resistance doesn't stack with equipment with spell resistance you can check this by checking if your sr rises after casting the sr spell on yourself.

Last edited:

lppmor

From the answers I'm getting SR is most useful for Will related spells, such as stuns and controls.
But as Pale Master I'm pretty much immune to these effects anyway. So I'm considering SR is good, but not for PM (and maybe Warforged).

Shardrena

I've also had SR stop things like Ray of Exhaustion, Enervating Ray, and other non-damaging things. Pretty sure Pale Masters are not immune to Hold Monster either

Elfishski

Anecdotally on a near-100 SR tankish cleric - useful for raids/quests at the standard kinds of EH or R1 difficulties against all kinds of random CC effects and so on (some of which don't have saves like irresistible dance).

Not so noticeable for high skulls quests - some old thread suggested mobs get a huge bonus to spell penetration per skull which sounds about right.

Shardrena

Not sure how one gets 100 SR, personally. From my testing a while back drow SR didn't really stack with any other sources of SR, nor did they typically stack with each other.

Buddha5440

I see the white spell resistance shield visual pop up almost as often as I see the blue/purple shield/nightshield visual while running EE/LE (SR of 42 @lv 20 up to 62 @Cap). That is only about 1/2 the maximum, which would be 129 (Drow Monk with the proper gear).