If it doesn't say zerg...please don't zerg.

Buddha5440

I am so tired of being in a good group and then, we have a zerger join when we are nearly done running a quest in a saga or chain. Ok, fine, you're running to catch up so you can get the end chest. The next quest, however, they have already started and run half-way through before the rest of the party (that they are not the leader of) has even entered the quest.

I have mentioned this to several players over the last several weeks/months and the response I usually get is along the lines of: 'If I can run it fast, why should I wait for anyone?' (because you are not the party leader), 'If you don't want to run fast, don't group.' (that's fine if you or the party leader posts it as zerg) , or 'Why are you joining a party if you aren't going to zerg?' (even when they were the last person to join a party that had been running together for 4-5 quests).

PLEASE have some party etiquette. If the quest (in two of the cases I mentioned the LFM post said "could use some guidance") does not state ZERGING...Follow the pace of the party leader!!! If they are zerging, by all means, follow suit.

If they are far behind you...STOP ZERGING or create your own dang LFM.

Happy Gaming all :) and remember... It's just a FREAKIN GAME :)

I await all the flames from the 'Zerging is the norm' group.

By the way; the loudest, does not mean the norm.

Mand O'Lin

Singer of Songs Drinker of Drinks
Here's an idea:
When the final quest objective is satisfied, the party leader needs to "accept" the completion. If somebody zergs to the end, they can either leave (and miss out on quest XP) or wait until the party leader is ready to complete.

axel15810

IMO if you specifically don't want zerging I'd say something like "please no zerging" in the party window rather than expecting players to not zerg by default. Gotta set the expectations as the party leader. Many players will assume the party doesn't mind what you're describing since they are essentially doing the quest for you and getting things done faster. Lots of people out there grinding multiple lives have that mindset because the grind is so long.

rabidfox

The People's Champion
IMO if you specifically don't want zerging I'd say something like "please no zerging" in the party window rather than expecting players to not zerg by default. Gotta set the expectations as the party leader. Many players will assume the party doesn't mind what you're describing since they are essentially doing the quest for you and getting things done faster. Lots of people out there grinding multiple lives have that mindset because the grind is so long.
That's my view too; just tell people what you want rather than assume they're on the same page as you.

Kathwynn

I am so tired of being in a good group and then, we have a zerger join when we are nearly done running a quest in a saga or chain. Ok, fine, you're running to catch up so you can get the end chest. The next quest, however, they have already started and run half-way through before the rest of the party (that they are not the leader of) has even entered the quest.

I have mentioned this to several players over the last several weeks/months and the response I usually get is along the lines of: 'If I can run it fast, why should I wait for anyone?' (because you are not the party leader), 'If you don't want to run fast, don't group.' (that's fine if you or the party leader posts it as zerg) , or 'Why are you joining a party if you aren't going to zerg?' (even when they were the last person to join a party that had been running together for 4-5 quests).

PLEASE have some party etiquette. If the quest (in two of the cases I mentioned the LFM post said "could use some guidance") does not state ZERGING...Follow the pace of the party leader!!! If they are zerging, by all means, follow suit.

If they are far behind you...STOP ZERGING or create your own dang LFM.

Happy Gaming all :) and remember... It's just a FREAKIN GAME :)

I await all the flames from the 'Zerging is the norm' group.

By the way; the loudest, does not mean the norm.
It's why I am leery of joining a pug. I am a derpy player anyways. And a zerger makes it that much harder for me. Even when the LFM says no zergers. It just seems that, inevitably, there will be one or two anyways. Shame too, as I enjoy meeting new people. Talking with them as we go through a dungeon.

Silverfox

Anyone taking the lead position has the ability to stop wait for the player that is not living up their potential or whatever the leader or group finds offensive can wait until they finish out and kick the player from the group and add them to their ignore list. Whether or not the remaining party member choose to remain with the group is up to them.

It doesn't matter if the offending player is a Zerger, piker, flower sniffer, or just a player that has no business in your group the fact that you are the leader means you have to take the responsibility and make a decision and live with that decision.

Oliphant

What does zerg even mean at this point? I'm not finding zerging to be the norm at end game. Typical LFM group will be efficient, have fast run speed, etc, but the group sticks together and we kill the mobs as we go. I could see zerging being the norm leveling on easy diffs, but not seeing much zerging in high reaper endgame. To me endgame is the norm.

Mand O'Lin

Singer of Songs Drinker of Drinks
What does zerg even mean at this point? I'm not finding zerging to be the norm at end game. Typical LFM group will be efficient, have fast run speed, etc, but the group sticks together and we kill the mobs as we go. I could see zerging being the norm leveling on easy diffs, but not seeing much zerging in high reaper endgame. To me endgame is the norm.
I absolutely see R10 end game zerging.

What does it mean? Have speed boosts and wings or you don't have a prayer of keeping up with the harbingers of death who are moving through the dungeon killing everything in their path faster than you can just run it.

Memnir

If the LFM doesn't specify "No Zerging", expect zerging. Zerging is the PUG default mode, and has been for years.

If the LFM did specify "No Zerging", then it's on the Zerger who Zerged who erred in the Zerging and should be called out for the Zerg. As a side note, how many times is it that a post mentions Zerging before Zerging losing all zerging meaning?

Jack Jarvis Esquire

Pretty simple etiquette really IMO: Follow the leader. 👍

Doesn't need zerg/no zerg in the LFM as you can't really go too far wrong if you follow that maxim.

Leaders might get upset if you Leroy ahead, and you might find them not wanting to run with you next time.

Plus, added bonus, you get to hide behind them when piking (and then I can hide behind you in turn). 😂👍

rabidfox

The People's Champion
As a side note, how many times is it that a post mentions Zerging before Zerging losing all zerging meaning?
It's already lost a lot of meaning. Some people consider it moving it fast and melting everything along the way. Others think it's just red alerting the entire zone and only killing the boss. It's the generic catchall for "not flowersniffing".

ChaoticDrivel

Many players will assume the party doesn't mind what you're describing since they are essentially doing the quest for you and getting things done faster.

You say this like you are doing them a favor, and they should be thankful for it. (Not you specifically Axel, but the plurality of folks with this mindset).

Somewhere along the way - people forgot this is a game. That people want to play to have fun. That means interacting with, and participating in the dungeon. I also want to gain XP efficiently, just as much as the next person...

But that's not more important than treating other human beings decently.

If I join someone's LFM - I don't start, end, or progress the quest in any way without first: checking with the party leader. I just think this is the most courteous and correct default position to take. And if I'm lucky enough to group with a newer player - you bet I will let them take the lead, for better or worse ;)

I fully take on board what you are saying about the grind, and the nature of repetition in DDO. So I understand this perspective. And I also believe amending the LFM to include something akin to "no zerging please" will likely filter out some portion of zergers. Some...

I'm just lamenting that this has what it's come to, in the first place. This fixation on XP, above all else. Even that which occurs between the commencement and conclusion of a dungeon: the actual playing portion. And I hold the devs more accountable than the player base, mind you. It is they who arrange the music to which we dance...

Several years ago, they started arranging their songs(designing the game) with just a handful of dancers in mind. Then doubled down on it, and have since let this tune fester. It's no wonder, then, that many other would-be dancers have left this show. Others, still, have just learned to live with the monotone reality. And they expect you to do the same...

I think we should all expect better.

Memnir

I think we should all expect better.
I agree, yes, we should.
But in all honesty - I stopped expecting "better", or even baseline decency, from folks who can exist in online gaming behind the anonymity of a username. I appriciate it when folks in online gaming defy my expectations and behave like human beings. Deeply But, I never ever ever expect it any more. The world has moved on, and not for the better. And that's one of the myriad of reasons I just play anything I can solo, DDO included.

Buddha5440

That goes back to the "Zerging is the Norm".

That is not true, especially for newer players. If you are a ZERGER, post it...Otherwise, run the quest at the rate the group leader is running it or find another group.

Buddha5440

Try adding "No Zerg" to your lfm to combat what anyone may be assuming?
So the group I joined that posted as "looking for guidance", isn't good enough for you? (a Zerger joined a few quests later and ruined the entire experience.).