Illithid Invasion - Constructive Feedback

Drunken.dx

I get that there are some people who don’t like the thrall champions and I sympathize- I don’t like the mimics in the mimic events, so I do understand disliking an event. But you don’t have to feel bad about doing anything to unlock content that you don’t want to play.
Well good news to you then.

Mimics are optional.

You can use repelent and they wont spawn.

Thralls on the other hand are everywhere on hard and up and in (fortunately) rare cases you get thrall on hard that makes bosses on reaper seem easy.

Now if SSG made it possible to opt out...

popejubal

Mimics are optional.

Thralls on the other hand are everywhere on hard and up and in (fortunately) rare cases you get thrall on hard that makes bosses on reaper seem easy.

I do think that would be nice. I’d like to see a toggle option to opt out of events in general.

Alrik Fassbauer

Regarding Reaper difficulty :

We already have some sort of "arms race" going on.

Reaper -> difficult -> more stats on items -> higher damage output by characters -> Reapers become easier because of that ...

I still do have a few items from ten years ago. One prized possession . A helmet, which says nothing but : "Helmet". NO SINGLE ADDITIONAL STAT.
Yes, this is a relic, and it always reminds me of a time when the game was so much harder.

Additionally : Why does no-one actually play this game with the Rose Coloured Glasses from the Party Event ?
I mean, I once did, and it was fun ! My level 30 character was dying ! It reminded me of a time when the game was so much harder.

The arms race is now something, as I tried to explain above, between Reaper difficulty, additional stats on items, and min-maxing power play.
And it is already going on.
Even on the hardcore server, where items already have additional stats, like modern items do.

Sweyn

I'm not pointing this out to Troll or be an A-hole. I'm pointing this out because not just @Praun, but many people on this forum have this way of thinking and entitlement that is unequivocally false. Bringing this toxic mindset to the forums and ranting uncontrollably is not productive and only serves to cause more chaos.

Because I own a lot of this game already and don't care to be forced into playing in a manner foreign to me.
Nobody is forcing you to do anything. Also, you don't own anything.

Terms of service section 12:
"The Daybreak Games are licensed, not sold, to end users. Subject to your acceptance of and continued compliance with all the terms and conditions of the Daybreak Terms of Service and Daybreak End User License Agreement, during the period of time that you have an account for any Daybreak Game(s) or for a shorter period of time (as determined by Daybreak), Daybreak grants you a limited, personal, non-transferable, non-sublicenseable, revocable, non-exclusive right to load the client-side software of such Daybreak Game(s) solely in the format made available to you by Daybreak onto your personal computer, console, or other permitted device; provided that your installation of, access to and play of any Daybreak Game(s) are solely for your personal, non-commercial use and in accordance with each of the restrictions and limitations set forth in the Daybreak Terms of Service and Daybreak End User License Agreement."
I bought a pack that I've played dozens of times and just because SSG wants to put on a show, it shouldn't prevent me from enjoying the stuff I have already paid for.
As stated above, you have not paid for the content... you paid for the right to load the content "solely in the format made available to you by Daybreak..." which, as seen below, can change at any time.

Terms of service section 6:
"Daybreak is constantly changing the Daybreak Games and may, in its sole and absolute discretion, add, modify, disable, suspend and/or remove any Daybreak Game(s), any portion thereof, including, without limitation, any computer code, games, characters, character names, storylines, titles, dialogue, catch phrases, digital downloads, Virtual Items, Virtual Currency, themes, objects, environments, artwork, maps, locations, likenesses, poses, models, textures, costumes, logos, emblems, powers, badges, achievements, sounds, voiceovers, musical compositions, concepts, artwork, animations, special effects, methods of operation, documentation, in-game chat transcripts, character profile information, video files, game engines, launch pads, and client and server side software, data, information, materials and other assets contained therein (collectively, the “Daybreak Game Assets”). Under no circumstance will Daybreak be liable for any claim that relates to or arises out of any such change that it makes to any Daybreak Game Assets."

Last edited:

Praun

I'm not pointing this out to Troll or be an A-hole. I'm pointing this out because not just @Praun, but many people on this forum have this way of thinking and entitlement that is unequivocally false. Bringing this toxic mindset to the forums and ranting uncontrollably is not productive and only serves to cause more chaos.

Nobody is forcing you to do anything. Also, you don't own anything.

Terms of service section 12:
"The Daybreak Games are licensed, not sold, to end users. Subject to your acceptance of and continued compliance with all the terms and conditions of the Daybreak Terms of Service and Daybreak End User License Agreement, during the period of time that you have an account for any Daybreak Game(s) or for a shorter period of time (as determined by Daybreak), Daybreak grants you a limited, personal, non-transferable, non-sublicenseable, revocable, non-exclusive right to load the client-side software of such Daybreak Game(s) solely in the format made available to you by Daybreak onto your personal computer, console, or other permitted device; provided that your installation of, access to and play of any Daybreak Game(s) are solely for your personal, non-commercial use and in accordance with each of the restrictions and limitations set forth in the Daybreak Terms of Service and Daybreak End User License Agreement."

As stated above, you have not paid for the content... you paid for the right to load the content "solely in the format made available to you by Daybreak..." which, as seen below, can change at any time.

Terms of service section 6:
"Daybreak is constantly changing the Daybreak Games and may, in its sole and absolute discretion, add, modify, disable, suspend and/or remove any Daybreak Game(s), any portion thereof, including, without limitation, any computer code, games, characters, character names, storylines, titles, dialogue, catch phrases, digital downloads, Virtual Items, Virtual Currency, themes, objects, environments, artwork, maps, locations, likenesses, poses, models, textures, costumes, logos, emblems, powers, badges, achievements, sounds, voiceovers, musical compositions, concepts, artwork, animations, special effects, methods of operation, documentation, in-game chat transcripts, character profile information, video files, game engines, launch pads, and client and server side software, data, information, materials and other assets contained therein (collectively, the “Daybreak Game Assets”). Under no circumstance will Daybreak be liable for any claim that relates to or arises out of any such change that it makes to any Daybreak Game Assets."
I'm not arguing that SSG can't alter the game at their will.

What I'm complaining about is the FACT that they altered the game in such a way that it prevented me from enjoying it .. all so they could cater to a certain playstyle ... alienating everyone else.

I have to either A) run explorer areas, pausing the work I was doing on my alts or B) not play while this event is on.

Have your events and festivals, just please, PLEASE ..... DON'T FORCE THESE THINGS ON EVERYONE.

I spent money to play this game and have been playing this game since '09 please STOP adding events and FORCING THEM ON THE WHOLE PLAYERBASE.

I simply don't understand why this is such a hard thing for some people to understand.

Onyxia2016

Lets not take this post off the rails by debating if reaper is good or bad or the direction to go. If you wish to discuss that please start another post.
Let keep this one focused on feedback for the event itself.

Feedback that others share is from their point of view. Refrain from telling others that their point of view is wrong and I am sure they will reciprocate.

If you have an opposing view of feedback that has been posted, you can certainly provide your feedback and suggestions without the need to quote/target someone else.

None of this is directed at anyone specific.

The feedback is for SSG to consider for future events, and not for us to vote on in this post. If SSG wants to conduct a poll, then we can vote for any concepts they list.

popejubal

I'm not arguing that SSG can't alter the game at their will.

What I'm complaining about is the FACT that they altered the game in such a way that it prevented me from enjoying it .. all so they could cater to a certain playstyle ... alienating everyone else.

I have to either A) run explorer areas, pausing the work I was doing on my alts or B) not play while this event is on.

Have your events and festivals, just please, PLEASE ..... DON'T FORCE THESE THINGS ON EVERYONE.

I spent money to play this game and have been playing this game since '09 please STOP adding events and FORCING THEM ON THE WHOLE PLAYERBASE.

I simply don't understand why this is such a hard thing for some people to understand.
Do you feel the same way about the Mimic event and Crystal Cove and Night Revels and the winter events?

Praun

Do you feel the same way about the Mimic event and Crystal Cove and Night Revels and the winter events?
Yes.

And every one of those events has the ability to NOT participate.

That has ALWAYS been my issue with these events .... the ability to opt-out.

The champs in those events have a different name and drop a chest related to said event ... but their overall stats don't change. They are just normal champs.

... except for this event.

Those Thrall champs shouldn't have been any different than regular champs ... EXCEPT in Reaper mode ... so people could have the option to OPT-OUT of the event.

Why is this SO HARD for people to understand?

Kathwynn

That is an apple to oranges argument. This one event is not the same as any of those to aforementioned events. In each of those other two events you do have the ability to either opt out or ignore the event entirely.

In this one time event even at hard and elite we get those thralls. Hard to opt out or ignore an event when you have to deal with a new monster that can have some hard DR going for it and worse when there are enough of them together, can heal each other.

And all for what? content that I like other players do not have an end game toon and will not be able to get into that content anyways. It makes no sense at all to me. As for me I am working on a toon that I want to be my master crafter. Hopefully Wednesday this event ends and the game goes back to normal. With no more thralls to contend with and no more, hard on my eyes, purple gloom.

vryxnr

Yes.

The champs in those events have a different name and drop a chest related to said event ... but their overall stats don't change. They are just normal champs.

Those Thrall champs shouldn't have been any different than regular champs ... EXCEPT in Reaper mode ... so people could have the option to OPT-OUT of the event.

At the risk of drawing more ire... if the thrall champs were only in reaper, allowing one to opt out by not playing reaper... how is that so dramatically different that opting out of champs by not playing on difficulties with champs? Which is what you can do right now. Is it because one is a difficulty you already ignore vs one you normally do anyways?

tbh I suspect a lot of people DO understand, but they object to the tone and implied anger it's being presented. Also, it's possible to understand and disagree. Most players probably agree with some of your sentiment, but rather than raging, they adapt, and offer possible solutions that you as a player can implement right now in order to also adapt. The forumites making these suggestions are not the devs, they cannot change things right now, but they can offer suggestions on how to deal with what is in the game right now. I do hope the devs are able to take the failures from this event as pointed out by us players and make better decisions in the future, but yelling at and attacking fellow players for trying to deal with this and for trying to offer playable solutions is not going to make things better.

Lets not take this post off the rails by debating if reaper is good or bad or the direction to go. If you wish to discuss that please start another post.
Let keep this one focused on feedback for the event itself.

Feedback that others share is from their point of view. Refrain from telling others that their point of view is wrong and I am sure they will reciprocate.

If you have an opposing view of feedback that has been posted, you can certainly provide your feedback and suggestions without the need to quote/target someone else.

None of this is directed at anyone specific.

The feedback is for SSG to consider for future events, and not for us to vote on in this post. If SSG wants to conduct a poll, then we can vote for any concepts they list.

My apologies.

Kathwynn

At the risk of drawing more ire... if the thrall champs were only in reaper, allowing one to opt out by not playing reaper... how is that so dramatically different that opting out of champs by not playing on difficulties with champs? Which is what you can do right now. Is it because one is a difficulty you already ignore vs one you normally do anyways?

tbh I suspect a lot of people DO understand, but they object to the tone and implied anger it's being presented. Also, it's possible to understand and disagree. Most players probably agree with some of your sentiment, but rather than raging, they adapt, and offer possible solutions that you as a player can implement right now in order to also adapt. The forumites making these suggestions are not the devs, they cannot change things right now, but they can offer suggestions on how to deal with what is in the game right now. I do hope the devs are able to take the failures from this event as pointed out by us players and make better decisions in the future, but yelling at and attacking fellow players for trying to deal with this and for trying to offer playable solutions is not going to make things better.

My apologies.
Because then players would be able to not deal with the thralls. As it would be understood that at reaper levels you would get these champs. As it stands there is no good way to alter your playing style. I have ran with a couple of other people and those thralls scale up with more people. And the DR and the way they can heal each other at times makes it even harder on players that do not really run reaper or even build a toon with reaper in mind. An opt out ability would have been a good thing.

vryxnr

Because then players would be able to not deal with the thralls. As it would be understood that at reaper levels you would get these champs. As it stands there is no good way to alter your playing style. I have ran with a couple of other people and those thralls scale up with more people. And the DR and the way they can heal each other at times makes it even harder on players that do not really run reaper or even build a toon with reaper in mind. An opt out ability would have been a good thing.
Everything outside of raids scales up with more people. And there are good and meaningful ways to alter your playing style to deal with them, but only if you choose to adapt and make those alterations. But my question you quoted had to do with Prauns suggestion to make the Psionic Thralls a reaper only thing, which is the same thing as it is now but moved up in difficulty setting. Opting out by not playing reaper+ is not much different than opting out by not playing hard+. The difference is how challenging the difficulties are and what any individual normally runs outside this event, but the concept is the same. Players right now can in fact not deal with the thralls if they are willing to make that adjustment. I'm not saying the current implementation is good or the best or how it should always be, but right now there are those options.

Again, I agree the way it is now is not the best way to do things, but it IS the way things are right now, so for right now all we can do is point out the flaws AND for the time being adapt as needed. Yelling at other players for pointing that out (as Praun and some others are doing) isn't going to change that or make people more sympathetic to this.

Though this really isn't the thread to go into this back and forth, so my apologies again to Onyxia.

Praun

Why should anyone have to adjust the way they play the game because SSG wanted to put on an event?

Nobody has yet to answer this question.

They always ... ALWAYS ... go to a whataboutism.

I play Reaper quests from time to time.
It's not my main playstyle, but I don't hate or shun it.
I have the option to play Reaper or not.

I don't hate the events they put on from time to time.
Some I participate in, but most, honestly, I don't.

I really don't understand why the idea of NOT participating in an event is such a foreign idea to some.

It simply boggles my mind that SSG thinks it's cool to shove their silly events down everyone's throat.

vryxnr

Why should anyone have to adjust the way they play the game because SSG wanted to put on an event?

Nobody has yet to answer this question.
Because this is SSG's game and they can make changes as they wish. We as players can only play the game they make, and sometimes in order to play a game, we have to adapt to the game, meaning if a game changes, in order to continue playing we must also change with it. If a change is bad and instead of adapting everyone just stops, then the game dies. If the game changes and everyone adapts, the game continues. If the game changes and everyone adapts and enjoy it and more come in because of those changes, the game grows.

Conversely if a game never changes, players get bored and leave, and it slowly dies.
I play Reaper quests from time to time.
It's not my main playstyle, but I don't hate or shun it.
I have the option to play Reaper or not.
you also have the option to play hard or not.

EDIT: how about we continue this conversation in a different thread where conversations like this are already happening? We really are derailing and diminishing the purpose of this thread (constructive feedback for the devs) by continuing this squabble here like this.

Graceunderpressure

I don’t usually comment on threads like this, but now in the game for a good 3 years+ and still enjoying it l figure throw my .02 in there.

I have only a cpl toons and my main is only second lifer. Made a mule and ended up playing him more after my guild stopped playing, so he is now 2nd lifer L32.

I’ve pretty much done my own thing after all the reading l did early about the grind for Pl’s and all it entailed.

Realized early that this was not the way l could play and have Fun at the same time. (To each there own and everyone’s different!)

A few made mention of my comments about reaching your most powerful level, just to tr and have no fun up there. So l decided to do the opposite and stay at highest level the longest.

I will say that this game is an Onion, and you really don’t know how many layers you are ever into it. (Although at several passages of time l fooled myself into thinking l did)

If you would have asked me a few months in l would have said, l will never play Reaper. Then l discovered that at least Reaper 1 and accumulating Reaper points opened up another layer.

If you told me l would Ever run Reaper 10 l would have said not for 10 years because l’m to slow with no pm’s!

I have now run Reaper 10 with several groups and Not felt out of place!

Up until 2-3 months ago l had slowly worked my way up to soloing R4 through gearing and Learning how to best play my toon. However, l didn’t join LFM’s let alone post and solo was getting 😞

Decided to answer some LFM’s and yet another layer peeled off that onion! Whole game opened up to me like never b4 and l realized that what would take me a week of solo in Reaper points could be had an an hr or 2 running higher reaper with a group. This was around R6 because l was comfortable there.

Then a group l was in was making it look easy and leader upped to R7-8. I had to once again adjust the way l played but a few goes and l’m running R8, which to me was insane!

Another night and another group running R8 and leader goes 9-10.

Of course l die 6 times in first quest and tell group l’m just not ready for this. Someone replies “no, your Good.”

Dang, so they carry me through a few quests and once again, l Adjust the way l’m playing and next thing you know, l’m running R10 and not feeling like l’m holding everyone back!

Moral of this story is, like me, you just never Really know until you Try!

That, and there are Really Good people out there playing this game that are more than willing to help. (As long as it’s not completely unrealistic)

I have Zero regrets playing the way l have. Running Legendary, gaining greatest reaper points, never have to farm heart seeds, tokens etc because l have more than l could ever use!

Have really good gear sets all the way from 4 to 30-32 in 4 level increments.

All from taking my time/ having Fun and not sweating the little things 😀

My take on these new quests and the rewards they bring?

I think they are spot on. Small buffs for end game play that will take a Long time b4 you get enough to make a Big difference. But over time, something to just be there to add to what already exists.

If the rare drop cleansing cards end up in the store that’s no sweat to me. Like most other things in the game, someone wants to pay that much for what l can wait for, knock yourself out!

The game has to pay for itself somehow and for me it will never be a competition for having Most powerful toon 😀

Shear-buckler

It simply boggles my mind that SSG thinks it's cool to shove their silly events down everyone's throat.
No one forces you to play the game. It's not unreasonable for the devs to experiment with new mechanics, especially not for a week.

popejubal

Yes.

You might not have noticed it, but the seasonal event champs are absolutely different.

popejubal

That is an apple to oranges argument. This one event is not the same as any of those to aforementioned events. In each of those other two events you do have the ability to either opt out or ignore the event entirely.

In this one time event even at hard and elite we get those thralls. Hard to opt out or ignore an event when you have to deal with a new monster that can have some hard DR going for it and worse when there are enough of them together, can heal each other.

And all for what? content that I like other players do not have an end game toon and will not be able to get into that content anyways. It makes no sense at all to me. As for me I am working on a toon that I want to be my master crafter. Hopefully Wednesday this event ends and the game goes back to normal. With no more thralls to contend with and no more, hard on my eyes, purple gloom.
The champions on those other events change for that period just like this event's champions do. The only way to opt out of those events is to play on lower difficulties so that champs don't show up.

Just like this one.

...which is why I asked that question. Because it's an apples to apples comparison since the ONLY thing that's happening in this event that is "mandatory" is the champion changes.

Ahpuch

Mimics are optional.

True. But the Mabar Champions are not optional. They appear in quests whether one wants to participate or not. The only way to avoid them is to run Normal or Wilderness.

So this is not any different. What is different is that these Champs were made to powerful for Hard and Elite. So all the "Worst Event" and "I should be able to opt out" drama is due to a bug. A bug that will be around for a week.

popejubal

SMH I love the gaslighting that goes on.. Look, it is simple. If SSG had kept it at reaper and/or allowed an opt put option. This whole argument would be moot. As it is. There is no good way to avoid this event. Except to refrain from playing any quest. Which I am going to be doing. This event is a bust for me. I will be working on a toon that I want to be my master crafter. So, yeah, I guess I found an option after all.

I hope you have fun with your end game toon in the new content.
Cool. Literal facts are "gaslighting" now.

I'm sorry this event is a bust for you. I hope that you will at least enjoy the other events that players also can't opt out of except by taking a DDO vacation. I encourage you to look at Human Artificer for your crafter. If you start at level 1 and don't run quests to level up until you're in the high 300s, the extra levels you get from Artificer makes the last few levels a lot more bearable.