I'm a first life, can someone explain imbue dice and imbue toggles?

tolanj

You choose one toggle to be on (you can take more, but only one can be on at a time). That one will say what it does (for example 1d6 electric scaling with spell power on melee/ranged say). Any bonus/extra imbue dice from any source will add to that, so if you have 4 bonus dice and that example imbue you would have 5d6 damage, scaling with spell power.

Upvote 0

vryxnr

An Imbue is a specific type of enhancement that adds dice of damage to your attacks. Such as an Arcane Archer's Elemental Arrows, or a Bard's Iced Edges. This enhancement is not automatically applied, so once you put points into it, you can drag it to your hotbar to toggle it on/off.

Different imbues do different damage types and different damage dice. 1d6, 1d8, etc.

Different enhancements and other effects can increase the number of dice you gain with your imbue, so instead of 1d8, you may have +4 imbue dice, meaning 5d8 now.

Imbues also scale up in damage with spellpower or melee/ranged power depending on the imbue you're using.

edit: not all enhancement trees have imbue abilities in them (fighter enhancements iirc don't have any imbues in them atm), so if you're a fighter you'll not see any in game info on them. Drow have a racial imbue in their tree, but iirc they're the only race that has an imbue you can use.

Upvote 0

Mand O'Lin

Singer of Songs Drinker of Drinks
As I understand it -

"Imbue" damage is additional damage applied when you hit an opponent. It is not added to the base weapon damage, but will show up as "+" damage. For example, 156 + 12. The base weapon damage being 156 with the imbue damage being the "+ 12".

You can only have a single type of "Imbue" active at a time. If your build has access to more than one type of Imbue, be sure to choose whichever one provides the greatest damage. Sometimes this may be situational. If you have a fire Imbue and a cold Imbue, you might want to select the cold Imbue when fighting fire elementals (for example). In general, selecting the Imbue with the largest die is the best choice... a d8 of damage is generally better than a d4.

The more Imbue die you have the more additional damage you will do on average. A single d8 will average 4.5 points of damage. Multiply that by the number of Imbue dice you have to calculate the average additional damage you will do. There are some other things to consider. Some Imbues will scale with one of your "powers". If you get scaling with Melee Power (for example), be sure you adjust the damage accordingly based upon your Melee Power.

So, if you have 12d8 of damage scaling 100% with melee power, and you have a Melee Power of 200...
1d8 average is 4.5
12 x 4.5 = 54
Melee Power of 200, so 54 x 3 = 162 points of additional damage per hit (on average)

There is one additional consideration. Mob hate generation. My understanding is Imbue Damage is not reduced with threat reduction. So beware getting too much aggro via Imbue damage.

Lastly, I am probably 100% wrong about all of this and there are plenty of others who will correct me.

Upvote 1

Ddealti

Hi, so it starts with every class (except fighters?) has something in their enhancement trees to add some kind of damage effect, that is similar to the elemental damage that weapons will have (like 1d6 cold damage). As an Rogue, in my Assassin tree I can add poison. 1d4/1d6/1d8 levels of damage. So you always want to grab that.

Then, you can add imbue dice that are your multipliers, adding 1/2/3 additional dice to whatever your damage generator is.

So, if I go all 3 levels of poison, I add 1d8 of poison damage to any weapon I wield. Then if I add all the imbue dice, I am now adding 4d8 of poison damage to any weapon.

Then, since it has a large Melee multiplier, in higher levels when you have lots of Melee power, the damage continues to be significant.

Imbue dice are an important part of getting your DPS up.

I hope this helps.

Upvote 1

Nahual

I'll summarize:

Toggle: Type of damage you deal with imbue dice
Imbue dice: Amount of damage you deal with imbue dice.

Focus on number of Imbue dice first would be my advice.

Upvote 0

eartheyes

i play on khyber
does each new toggle you get count as one dice?
like in tearms of multi classing...in class A say you have a toggle and 3 imbue dice from tree, would this be 4 imbue dice?
if you pick up a sacond toggle, do you get another dice, or only when you get more dice?
i didnt see it explicitly written anywhere, but i would assume the toggles count as 1 dice?

Upvote 0

Dragavon

like in tearms of multi classing...in class A say you have a toggle and 3 imbue dice from tree, would this be 4 imbue dice?
if you pick up a sacond toggle, do you get another dice, or only when you get more dice?
i didnt see it explicitly written anywhere, but i would assume the toggles count as 1 dice?
Only if it says it gives + dice.

Upvote 0

Dogtrauma

Unknowable Member
Since we're already here and all dressed up: I am informed here on these forums that weapon imbues crit with the weapon, do they also take the multiplier from the weapon? I guess i could try it myself but i'm here *now* so does it, does it, huh?

Upvote 0

canicus

In general, no. most(if not all) of the imbues just provide the option to take it, it is usually needed to gain extra dice later in the tree though. Dragavon is correct, you only get extra dice if something says +x imbue dice

Upvote 0