IoD gear breakdown please

Mordenkainen

Please SSG, no more nerfs. Thank you!
Tetris isn't just "max single thing" and nothing else. There's a lot of nuance to it. It'd just spit out a gearset that leaves a person otherwise bad. High damage per hit, accuracy so low it never hits or so glass mobs don't even have to hit them to kill the player, etc.
But it's a starting point.

rabidfox

The People's Champion
But it's a starting point.
Not really. Stacking multiple gear sets and all the various stats people want isn't going to be helped by that. Tetris wildly jumps around by just swapping one piece of gear where it dominos to other pieces to keep sets going. And then there's the issue of bringing debuffs because debuffs rock or using a non-debuff weapon because others in the party are bringing the debuffs needed. Or needing stats for DCs (be it a caster or tactical DCs). A system that auto-suggested gear would likely give a bunch of people the false belief their setup is amazing because the computer put it together via math.

Mordenkainen

Not really. Stacking multiple gear sets and all the various stats people want isn't going to be helped by that. Tetris wildly jumps around by just swapping one piece of gear where it dominos to other pieces to keep sets going. And then there's the issue of bringing debuffs because debuffs rock or using a non-debuff weapon because others in the party are bringing the debuffs needed. Or needing stats for DCs (be it a caster or tactical DCs). A system that auto-suggested gear would likely give a bunch of people the false belief their setup is amazing because the computer put it together via math.
but isn't DPS the only thing that truly matters?

rabidfox

The People's Champion
but isn't DPS the only thing that truly matters?
No. It's not. It's a fallacy you're hung up on. DPS is needed but it's not a 1 button win solution. DDO is a MMO, party composites and covering multiple aspects is key. CC, heals, tankiness, buffs, debuffs, etc. are all huge factors. Until you accept that, you'll find yourself struggling to advance your gameplay.

Mordenkainen

No. It's not. It's a fallacy you're hung up on. DPS is needed but it's not a 1 button win solution. DDO is a MMO, party composites and covering multiple aspects is key. CC, heals, tankiness, buffs, debuffs, etc. are all huge factors. Until you accept that, you'll find yourself struggling to advance your gameplay.

https%3A%2F%2Fdev-to-uploads.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fuploads%2Farticles%2Fg87zh04h5v95ew0kgyvt.gif

I don't know... pretty sure it's mostly DPS

• Haha
Reactions: DBZ

Bjond

That's with some threat reduction. My rotation is perfect though especially using a 13 button mouse.
IIRC, aren't you using a imbue / inquisitor? Imbues are not effected by --threat. Even ultra low imbue DPS can yank things; it's meaningless as a test of strong dps -- it's great as a test for annoying dps.
How bad is the Dino crafting realistically? [versus] Vecna, IOD, Fey or Saltmarsh
It depends on how much IOD you run. The only thing I literally never have are Tyrannosaur Teeth. Wiki thinks they only drop from Wilderness chests, but I've never seen them from the tyrannosaur, demon, or dragon. From what I've seen they're primarily a saga-reward item and usually result in an empty slot in items unless you spam-run the saga. They're insanely annoying, especially because 100 are needed compared to 25~50 of other bone parts.

IOD provides a couple things that are hard to ultra-hard to get otherwise: 2d6 profane sneak dice, alignment absorption, critical damage bonus for spells, and profane set bonus. Vecna set bonus is also profane and slightly better than IOD's, but it does not provide the other features. Many builds benefit greatly from IOD at L30.

Saltmarsh gear is great for level-up due to it's ultra-cheap upgrade from L5 to L20. It's more costly to make it L30 and not usually as nice as other sets depending on what you want. I use salt all the time for lowbie & epic gearing, particularly on HC. Star fragments are salt's version of Tyrannosaur Teeth (they're for the 20->30 upgrade). IMHO, they're slightly less annoying than Teeth because eventually your bank will build a stockpile. Bank will never have enough teeth.

PraetorPlato

It depends on how much IOD you run. The only thing I literally never have are Tyrannosaur Teeth. Wiki thinks they only drop from Wilderness chests, but I've never seen them from the tyrannosaur, demon, or dragon. From what I've seen they're primarily a saga-reward item and usually result in an empty slot in items unless you spam-run the saga. They're insanely annoying, especially because 100 are needed compared to 25~50 of other bone parts.
They drop from non-purple wilderness bosses.

Graceunderpressure

Tetris isn't just "max single thing" and nothing else. There's a lot of nuance to it. It'd just spit out a gearset that leaves a person otherwise bad. High damage per hit, accuracy so low it never hits or so glass mobs don't even have to hit them to kill the player, etc.
I soloed for several years after my guild buddies all stopped playing. So regardless of what l read on line, and thinking l’ve read quite a bit, my test was in a real dungeon that my toon runs regularly and l can gauge a real difference.

I found, since l’ve only run healing melee toons so far, Pally, Ranger, that it’s a combo of self healing and DPS that gets you through.

I have been a fan of Fellblade from day 1, cuz l like long swords and pretty sure they were my go to when l played PnP D&D. Before the crazy changes that brought all the high end swords down to earth, no one seemed to pay much attention to Fellblade, but l could never ignore its crit profile so kept using it.

Then everything changed and it became the Go to LS on paper. Read several posts about it being better than Soulrazor because of its better crit profile now that all LS’s had fairly equal dmg.

When l finally got my hand on Soulrazor (yes l had to see for myself) took off Fellblade and wasn’t fare comparo because l was now also down 15% dbl strike, it wasn’t close. Running through WPM, l consistently dropped something like 3-4min on R2 and lMS was finally able to beat it on R3 solo.

So whoever was figuring things on paper was obviously leaving a lot out.

Bottom line is that l totally agree, gear Tetris is all inclusive. Also why l went with Salt 5 piece, right when l was about to spread out and farm some 2 and 3 piece sets to try to fill in missing PRR/ MRR etc. l found the Salt 5 piece gave me all the critical stats l was looking for plus the set bonus which l still think is one of the more significant set bonuses in the game if your already wearing 3 piece PotF.

nenetteblackmoor

lmao..no one's "threatening'; IOD farming comes down to practicality and convenience. Some players like farming slayer areas...some like quests...some like BOTH. Hitting a loop of rares between quests keeps things fresh. Besides, we all know that the bones don't drop evenly, so after 1 week I doubt a player will have the right number of bones for more than 1-2 augs. To fill a 5 pc set takes way more than 1 round of rares x7.

The dread items won't make your character magically able to solo elite/r1.. that's your build. That's cool though, farm hard or normal + slayers if ya have to. The extra saga bones always seem to fill in the gap of what bones have been dropping lopsided. ..and have fun;)
I don't understand what you're saying.
Someone talked about elite-level material gathering, but I simply mentioned the fact that I don't need to farm as an elite and can gather more easily in the wilderness.

I only pointed out the misconception that elites or reapers increase materials and mentioned being able to play casually in free time.

I wasn't discussing playstyle or preferences.

Graceunderpressure

So l pulled the trigger on IoD and played last night and this morning.

Only L20 (or 21?) so just tried the quests on normal and no problems at all.

I can see why this content is likeable. Can level up from 20- cap in one place and all the quests are very simple and straight forward with good XP.

All while collecting ing’s and items without even farming.

So this is my plan for the next while. Just run the arch and see what falls into my lap. Already got a cpl decent augment drops on the first go, so really no downside.

saekee

long live ROGUE
So l pulled the trigger on IoD and played last night and this morning.

Only L20 (or 21?) so just tried the quests on normal and no problems at all.

I can see why this content is likeable. Can level up from 20- cap in one place and all the quests are very simple and straight forward with good XP.

All while collecting ing’s and items without even farming.

So this is my plan for the next while. Just run the arch and see what falls into my lap. Already got a cpl decent augment drops on the first go, so really no downside.
Just a note in case you are not clear on it--you want one set of bonuses that is artifact and one set that is profane. Isle of Dread has both--for example, you can do Dread Stalker for artifact and The Legendary Dread Isle's Curse for Profane (much like, say, Silent avenger stacking with Adherent of the Mists). Kalibano has some great gear suggestions for stacking these up if you don't want to reinvent the wheel.

The popularity of Isle of Dread has three aspects at leat: 1) Customizability, 2) the fact that the weapon (attuned from raid) can complete the 5 piece set, 3) the artifacts host 4 filigree, like the perfected ones. Even with the custom nature of the stats (Scale on accessories), you will still be balancing out where to slot an insightful and quality stat for your main ability score, and some interesting effects like Cannith Combat infusion, quality seeker, insightful doublestrike etc are sadly missing. This is why Kalibano uses Part of the Family (artifact bonus) with Dread Isle (profane). You will see some deeply invested capped players doing Dread gear for the rare raid 'augments' that you can slap into the armor, as they give sneak and doublestrike.

Graceunderpressure

I think l had a lot of that but thanks for condensing it and filling in the missing pieces 😃

Here’s the deal, and l’m not saying it won’t work with Dread, but l’ve never run R/L gear for the profound MP.

No matter have l tried to fit it in, l just lost too many other stats.

I always try to have full main stats + ins + Qual.

Then Accuracy/ Seeker/ Arm pierce/ Deadly l try to do ins and Q as well.

I run PotF at cap with Salt and other fill ins. It has worked so well that l don’t have to craft anything for filler.

So 15mp on already 280ish vs losing all the Tetris has never made sense for me to do.

Now l’m still noob. Been playing casual on and off for 4 years or so. Only have 3 toons and highest only has 36 reaper points and on 3rd life with l think 5 Epic lives because l got all 3 dbl strike on first life.

Maybe l should post my gear set and you guys could enlighten me on what l’m missing or failing to see?

One thing l had considered;

I hardly buff because l’ve always run so many augments that most buffs do nothing. ( other than regular Pally buffs/ ship buffs etc)

It had occurred to me that most probably make up the difference with buffing and run Stronger augment in slots than l do.