Is Mad Tea Party designed to destroy Friendships and Marriages?

rabidfox

The People's Champion
The only issue here is, everyone mostly only has phone cameras these days, and lets just say, they make so many adjustments that you'll be lucky to recognise yourself after taking a selfie sometimes. :oops:

J1NG

:: edit ::
As in, take two same phones in, and their auto adjustments from different angles, will produce differing results, so this isn't always a reliable way unfortunately.
hehe, yeah. This phone photo vs what I see on my screen as quite different; it brought everything more towards the middle (the actual screen's darks are much darker and the brights are way brighter). I guess there's no easy way to reproduce things to share the pain with others.
rV3Io0w.jpeg

drjoans

kinda-known member
Especially because you shouldn’t even take the guy down. Takes too long . Just kill him, run to puzzle 1, kill everything , run to 2 kill everything, run PAST this hole everyone is falling down, it’ll have a force field over it even , then murder all the mobs together. Finish quest.

I’ve been enjoying tea party a lot more this way .
So here's how it went for me:
Enter quest I head to Baron to talk and see someone else running to the Lady(or so I thought) get down stairs to the butler and find no one talked to her. Go back upstairs to talk to her passing the other people in the process that are running down. Talk to the lady and run back down and proceed down the center corridor feeling like I need to make up time so I don't step around the blue barrier on the floor, only to have it fall out from under me because apparently they did the puzzle down the first left corridor. Fight my way through all the mobs and decide I might as well clear all the areas by the puzzles we actually need. Before clearing the puzzle down the shorter corridor usually to the right side of the center lane they've walked the guy downstairs. So now I have to fight all the mobs that spawn and go back to the puzzle on the left that now has a bunch of extra mobs that spawned. It really felt like I was being trolled for a bit. Anyways the rest of the quest went as planned... for me neways, they continued to meander every which way.

Mindos

CHAOTIC EVIL
how bout i just mail you my computer. only way to see the truth lol. either that or we all live together on a commune

Lazuli

I like how dark it is.

It's unfortunate there isn't more lighting options in general. There are several quests I wish I had a light spell, a lamp, or a torch for.
I also find that there are quite a few quests that are too dark.

I really don't understand why we don't have torches and light spells, not just like in pnp, but like in any game. Before the turn of the century I played games with torches and light spells, it's ridiculous that they use lag as an excuse for not giving us something so basic.

Sarandra

I also find that there are quite a few quests that are too dark.

I really don't understand why we don't have torches and light spells, not just like in pnp, but like in any game. Before the turn of the century I played games with torches and light spells, it's ridiculous that they use lag as an excuse for not giving us something so basic.
Yup, Daylight is so obvious and would be a super handy spell.

Br4d

If you play during the day blackout curtains help a lot.

The only times I can see nothing in the game are Rainbow in the Dark and when the sun is coming in behind the monitor at a low angle.

Col Kurtz

I've said it b4...why don't we have lanterns and torches with a magical bonus? Maybe then make more dungeons like rainbow where ambient light is not enough to see too.

Remember in PnP > 1st thing you buy for your backpack is a torch + flint and steel ;)
-or this happens-

DM says "it's pitch black inside the cave, what do you do?"

Player responds "light a torch!"

DM responds "let me see your character sheet" ... "sorry you don't have a torch"

Jack Jarvis Esquire

Then the halfling says "hey but I've got infravision".

Then the human pally stabs him in the dark "oops sowwee!" (really because nobody likes a smartarse).

Then the wizard sets off a fireball "so we can all see by it's light guys"...

....aaaand everyone fails their save, so it's time to reroll new toons again. 😂👍

Mnemor

Then the halfling says "hey but I've got infravision".

Then the human pally stabs him in the dark "oops sowwee!" (really because nobody likes a smartarse).

Then the wizard sets off a fireball "so we can all see by it's light guys"...

....aaaand everyone fails their save, so it's time to reroll new toons again. 😂👍
Turbine should have implemented darkvision and light sources...

erethizon1

So here's how it went for me:
Enter quest I head to Baron to talk and see someone else running to the Lady(or so I thought) get down stairs to the butler and find no one talked to her. Go back upstairs to talk to her passing the other people in the process that are running down. Talk to the lady and run back down and proceed down the center corridor feeling like I need to make up time so I don't step around the blue barrier on the floor, only to have it fall out from under me because apparently they did the puzzle down the first left corridor. Fight my way through all the mobs and decide I might as well clear all the areas by the puzzles we actually need. Before clearing the puzzle down the shorter corridor usually to the right side of the center lane they've walked the guy downstairs. So now I have to fight all the mobs that spawn and go back to the puzzle on the left that now has a bunch of extra mobs that spawned. It really felt like I was being trolled for a bit. Anyways the rest of the quest went as planned... for me neways, they continued to meander every which way.
In my experience, the vast majority of players don't know the easy method. Most runs of the quest seem to require some explanation to the party (though more experienced groups running R10 are far less likely to need it).

erethizon1

I've said it b4...why don't we have lanterns and torches with a magical bonus? Maybe then make more dungeons like rainbow where ambient light is not enough to see too.

Remember in PnP > 1st thing you buy for your backpack is a torch + flint and steel ;)
-or this happens-

DM says "it's pitch black inside the cave, what do you do?"

Player responds "light a torch!"

DM responds "let me see your character sheet" ... "sorry you don't have a torch"
Player responds "then we turn around and leave and all the time you spent designing this cave was for nothing"

DM responds "you turn around to leave and lo and behold you find a torch sitting on the ground outside the cave"

Br4d

Turbine should have implemented darkvision and light sources...

I'm pretty sure that at one point early in the game, before F2P, light sources were handled as an in-game element that affected play.

I remember my rogue mapping out exactly where the source was in several locations because if you were in the light you were much more likely to be seen by mobs that were not directly facing you but more sideways-oriented.

By 2014 or so it just did not matter unless the mob was directly facing you and you were a slow-poke getting by them.

kmoustakas

Scourge of Xaos
The entire lower level is a tribute to a low regulation environment with no respect given to OSHA standards or Monster occupancy limits. Would it be too much to have the option to actually spend 15 seconds to brightly light some of those Torches by the holes? It seems like one of those options from D&D 1.0 that should have been left in
I like the references from the 5e adventure but I really think they tried to do too much with this quest and in the end they just gave up. ItIt has lots of cute little details but they don't add up, making it so you should really ignore everything and just zerg it like crazy.

I literally did it today with all the opts (because I am that sort of player) and it feels like it's still in beta or half-completed.

I don't know how many of you remember, but lantern archon FVS enhancement used to give light but turbine back then claimed that was the reason for lag and removed it. Even 10 years ago the developers of DDO would make this sort of claims hahaha

Br4d

No spoilers included.

Mad Tea Party is one of the most confusing quests due to having multiple main objectives. It's easy to complete any number of ways however I am pretty sure that in 20 odd runs of the quest I have never done it in a way that the devs intended.