Is pure 2H fighter good enough these days?

paddymaxson

Hi All,

I'm still on that racial PL grind and I fancied doing a thf fighter without splasing into another class but I've had a few builds on tmy last 6 or so racial PLs that I've really just hated playing.

Was probably going to go halfling for the extra heals from the dragonmark or half orc for the extra damage.

I mostly play in a 2 man group so will probably need to split up quite a lot and survive without handholding. Is pure fighter doable these days?

Cheers

Paddy

Eleazzar

Fighters are heavily gear dependant so keep that in consideration. I personally would go S&B and shield smash mobs. Better defenses for splitting up and shield bashing is nice. Stay str based also, shields use strength for the bashing goodness. I ran a build like this before and it was surpisingly good.

Now, that all depends if your running reaper also. The fighters healing is meh.

FuzzyDuck81

They work nicely, in heroics especially it's good to lean into the tactical feats & combined with strikethrough you'll be able to (improved) trip & stun multiple mobs at once.

The new healing thing for them is handy for sure, but you'll still likely need some extra assistance so hirelings are handy & if you have healing elixirs, they'll definitely be useful as well as making sure you have a selection of the usual curative potions. A handful of restoration or panacea potions (wodblossom nectar & crimson nightshade turn-ins) plus the greater restoration clicky from medium eberron dragonshard turn-ins are great to have & if you have some cannith crafting levels, don't overlook the stun/flesh to stone runestones, they can be great against a number of troublesome enemies. If you choose halfling their dragonmark will make a noticeable difference.

Scrag

They work nicely, in heroics especially it's good to lean into the tactical feats & combined with strikethrough you'll be able to (improved) trip & stun multiple mobs at once.
I have a 90 stun and 90 trip at cap. That isn't fantastic, but it should still do some cc, yes?

Everything and Lotus bloom both have 99 dcs.

That should work?

Scrag

uhhhh fighter supposed to have higher values than other melees in those areas.....
I have qual str, insightful str, str(+14), tac combatant, mast, supremecy (+18), profane (+3), insightful (+6 library card), regular (+11), (stun) 6 (gmof), 3 (dread), 3 (kensei).

I was missing the insightful, just slotted +15.

My total strength with power surge up is 78.

In before someone says (that is so low). I don't have past lives for racial ap, just 2 racial ap from tome. I took the 3 strength enhacements that were available. I have 63 destiny points only.

That got me only +9, but at least lotus and everything are now 108. trip is 92, and sunder 89. I can swap in my tentacle for another +3 after titan's grip activation, but I have to remember to swap it every 60 seconds.

(92 trip,95 sunder,98 (stunning blow),111 everything/lotus)
There is no more juice to squeeze.

I do however have 43 dodge, 25 displacement, 13 sneak dice, amd -120 melee threat generation.

seph1roth5

Pure fighter seems a bit boring. But I guess if you're not running higher than r1, it should be fine w/ second wind and halfling-face. Even better if you don't mind bringing along a hireling to spot heal.

• Wow
Reactions: DBZ

Scrag

The is about 30 lower than it should. Heck, I'm at 108 raged/buffed in reaper on a Tempest Dark hunter. Fighter should be 10ish higher than that.
Not raging, fighter not barb. If the implication is that a fighter cannot function without carrying around a bunch of inventory consuming clickies/consumables, a ton of past lives giving stat bonuses, then I guess I will just pass on past fighters.

A long list of buffs (yugo pots whatever) that do that is of no interest to me. I simply want to smack things.

Scrag

Pure fighter seems a bit boring. But I guess if you're not running higher than r1, it should be fine w/ second wind and halfling-face. Even better if you don't mind bringing along a hireling to spot heal.
Not sure about the boring part, only one way to find out.

I always bring a healbot with me, whether I need one or not. You never know when something bad might happen and you need that miracle rez... As I don't have a jibbers, kinda important to have that backup! :)

Br4d

If you like the melee playstyle THF Fighter is about as good as it gets. This assuming that you like to dance with your foes and run a mobile fighting style.

THF Fighter does great chunk damage, does ok AE with the proper feats and enhancements, and is damn near unkillable if you move while you are fighting and use your Second Winds judiciously.

Teh_Troll

Not raging, fighter not barb. If the implication is that a fighter cannot function without carrying around a bunch of inventory consuming clickies/consumables, a ton of past lives giving stat bonuses, then I guess I will just pass on past fighters.

A long list of buffs (yugo pots whatever) that do that is of no interest to me. I simply want to smack things.
At cap you can be raging on a non-barb, don't forget Primal Scream and I'm always Angry from the Primal ED.

Silvorn

I've been doing racials on a 2H fighter. Duoing with my son and generally I have bard buffs. LOVE that regen.

Scrag

I can hold my own on r6 within reason, on a team. I can solo (with a healbot) r3 without much issue, depending on the quest.

Not terrible (straight 20 thf fighter).

I could improve build but I only vaguely knew what I was doing when I built it. So not bad I would say.

popejubal

Every character performs better with clickies/consumables.

Are you not carrying remove curse/cure poison/cure disease pots? Are you not carrying Invis clickies/scrolls? Are you not carrying Heal/Raise scrolls at cap? Are you not trying to get a Jibbers for yourself? You don’t need past lives to have good numbers (although you do get a bit better numbers when you have the past lives) but you do have to put in a bit of effort beyond just smacking things to have good numbers.