Is there a way to opt out of VIP XP bonus?

dur

aka Cybersquirt
How exactly do you do this? The reason I ask is I cap at 2 levels over and gain no further xp until I take a level.
Just do not take CR (level) when you can.. is it a VIP only thing? Is this now the next thing to nerf? BETTER F'ING NOT _ I will def cancel VIP if we cannot bank XP.

erethizon1

Just do not take CR (level) when you can.. is it a VIP only thing? Is this now the next thing to nerf? BETTER F'ING NOT _ I will def cancel VIP if we cannot bank XP.
It works for all characters. You can bank up to one extra level. When you get to 1 exp from the 2nd level you stop getting exp. A few things like the monster manual will let you go over 2 levels, but that is all. This is why you can never take more than 2 levels in a row, and if you do take 2 in a row you find you are 5 bars away from getting a third level. This is why people in groups sometimes say, "I'm double capped." It means they can no longer bank extra experience and have to take a level.

NightHiker

Please add a setting to opt out of XP bonus if there isn’t one already and/or an option to store the bonus and apply when needed on the current or another character.
Just to consolidate all answers into an easily read post (and add a couple of hints that were not explicitly mentioned):

People, when leveling up and playing on groups, generally run quests with a base level 2 levels lower than their current one. That's because when you run a quest on elite or reaper it gains two effective levels and this way you can still run them "at level" and without any xp penalty.

Also, as others mentioned, you do not need to take a level as soon as you get enough xp, and any extra xp will continue to be accrued until you have enough to get to the second next level - 1xp. This happens because you cannot accumulate 2 level ups at once (while doing regular leveling with regular xp). At level 10 you can get enough xp to reach level 12 - 1xp.

If you don't care about the extra xp after the hard cap and since there are enough quests at each level to keep leveling up at least until you reach the next one anyways, then there's literaly no need to "turn the xp gain off" - you already can effectively do that by just keeping running quests without leveling up.

So if you want to keep running all quests before you outlevel them on a difficulty scale (since xp won't be an issue here), one thing you can do is:

Don't take level 4 until you finish all base level 1 quests, then don't take level 5 until you finish all base level 2 quests, and so on, always keeping those 2 levels as a buffer, if running quests at elite or reaper.

If you are soloing, however, then you can of course adjust this buffer to any number you see fit. Nothing prevents you from choosing how much xp to bank or how many levels to take and whether to do the quests while under or overleveled. Just have in mind that you won't be able to run a quest on reaper difficulty if you're over 4 levels above it on heroic quests and 6 levels on epic ones.

Cheers,
NH

Last edited:

Praun

As you can see I care more about storylines and less about getting max xp. Although I very much care about doing my best in quests, solving the challenge the best way possible, whatever that means at the given quest, and the problem is that as much over level you run as less the challenge is. No challenge no fun.

Bro, you do not have to take your level.

It's called banking your XP

My static group does this all the time to finish the story arch and to farm for Reaper XP.

You are making a mountain out of a little tiny ant hill.

Praun

You can manually disable bonus xp, effectively...

If you don't level up when you have five pips, you'll stay your current level. You'll continue to earn xp until you have five more pips (ie enough to level up twice) minus 1 xp

At that point you will not earn any more xp until you take a level. So you can do all the content you want and earn 0 xp, to offset the "extra" xp you don't want to earn.
^^^^

This right here is the solution to the OP's problem

doctorjazz

The answer is very simple, if you have excess XP then you 100% choose when to level up. Will this go on for four more pages? :unsure:
Pushing this to page 5 for dramatic effect... You always choose when to level up in this game like ??? why are we punishing other people who actively support this game?

Oliphant

Kinda devastated to find out they selling Tortoise Stones on LOTRO tbh...

...did we make 5 pages? :D