Is Tumbling really a full speed monk???

Orchidblossomwasgutted

im tumbling but it doesnt really seem as fast a monk.... so whys everyone saying its like a Monk speed? how high does tumble need to be for this speed? higher than 40? is there a Cap to Tumble skill?

ACJ97F

This has been beat to death repeatedly. With experimental on and timing, you can get close. It's capped at haste speed plus modifiers, and
at 36 you get the dive animation. People just complain that party members are rolling around like Critters, but impacts nothing important.

Br4d

This has been beat to death repeatedly. With experimental on and timing, you can get close. It's capped at haste speed plus modifiers, and
at 36 you get the dive animation. People just complain that party members are rolling around like Critters, but impacts nothing important.

For me it breaks suspension of disbelief in a bunch of ways that make me not want to group with a tumbler.

Among other things they're forcing me to use a mechanic that feels wrong if I want to keep up.

I get that everybody should be able to do their own thing but there are mechanics that if they were available would really annoy others.

As an example if there was a fart animation that boosted you like a rocket and was repeatable, well some would use it to move around quicker and the rest of us would be asking why farting was a movement mechanic at all. Tumbling as a movement boost is very similar to that situation.

Br4d

Please let us have a fart boost/dash mechanic

You would understand why this mechanic offended some people though in terms of suspension of disbelief among other things?

Part of the discussion obviously is going to center around what kind of game DDO is. If this were a Whacky Racers or Looney Tunes type game then endless tumbling and fart boosts and things of that nature would likely be very much in the spirit of the game.

So the question is at what point do things break suspension of disbelief or really intrude upon the sensibilities of the players and their ability to have fun playing the game.

Just saying anything should go if it's cool for some people is dodging the central question of what type of game are we all playing?

Vox

So the question is at what point do things break suspension of disbelief or really intrude upon the sensibilities of the players and their ability to have fun playing the game.

We both understand this is a fantasy game right?

endless tumbling

It's hard to argue against things which were designed, play tested, and implemented on live service game worlds, per the management & leadership direction of this game's company.

I also understand that WoTC still have approval rights due to this game's licensing?

So under that inference.. infinite speed tumbling is D&D cannon? Not much of a stretch to include a gas propulsion system as well.

Eoin

Not sure which enhancement it is, but there is one that I have coined "death fart". Makes an whooshing sound, a black gas cloud, and propels the person forward.

Svirfneblin

Should be really easy to put together just combine the propulsion boot clicky and when you activate it it drops a cloud kill….bonus to both of you eat broccoli beforehand.

Orchidblossomwasgutted

We both understand this is a fantasy game right?

It's hard to argue against things which were designed, play tested, and implemented on live service game worlds, per the management & leadership direction of this game's company.

I also understand that WoTC still have approval rights due to this game's licensing?

So under that inference.. infinite speed tumbling is D&D cannon? Not much of a stretch to include a gas propulsion system as well.
Massively Multiplayer ONLINE GAME

GrayJedi AntiProPaladin

nobody is "forcing anybody to use any mechanic to keep up" with the party....

like in the real world (well the Democratic Free world, can't speak to authoritarian countries), ain't nobody forcing anybody to train in acrobatics, gymnastics, or ultra marathon, iron man running for u to keep up with them

you can just choose Not to train in those mechanics, skills, or use them, and don't join in that group of acrobats, gymnasts, marathoners, Olympians, etc...

nobody is forcing u (except maybe oneself) to play in the Pro Athletic league, Varsity, JV, etc.
play your own speed with people at same speed, it's "all-good" (y)

also like Hardcore League, nobody forcing anybody to play using the mechanics/strategy of more cautiously planning and playing and so forth, if one doesn't want to use those mechanics/strategies then don't keep up with/play with those who play Hardcore League, similar concept

Edit: this is just in general, seems like this specific experimental tumbling is gonna get some kinda nerfed - well, goodbye we barely knew u (well barely just figured out the timing, and it stresses my arm muscles to do it for extended amount of time so only limited bursts.... )

Last edited:

mikarddo

nobody is "forcing anybody to use any mechanic to keep up" with the party....

like in the real world (well the Democratic Free world, can't speak to authoritarian countries), ain't nobody forcing anybody to train in acrobatics, gymnastics, or ultra marathon, iron man running for u to keep up with them

you can just choose Not to train in those mechanics, skills, or use them, and don't join in that group of acrobats, gymnasts, marathoners, Olympians, etc...

nobody is forcing u (except maybe oneself) to play in the Pro Athletic league, Varsity, JV, etc.
play your own speed with people at same speed, it's "all-good" (y)

also like Hardcore League, nobody forcing anybody to play using the mechanics/strategy of more cautiously planning and playing and so forth, if one doesn't want to use those mechanics/strategies then don't keep up with/play with those who play Hardcore League, similar concept

Edit: this is just in general, seems like this specific experimental tumbling is gonna get some kinda nerfed - well, goodbye we barely knew u (well barely just figured out the timing, and it stresses my arm muscles to do it for extended amount of time so only limited bursts.... )

Your analogy is way off imho. A better one would be "no one is forcing you to own a car - you can just bike 20 miles to work every day" :)

Being able to keep up in groups is not "going to the olympics", its more like "going to work every day".

Scrag

Tumbling can be a net-negative for the tumbler... It is impossible to keep tabs on one if you are playing a support (healbot) character that needs constant eyes-on to be able to, you know, heal one. And if they tumble out of range in the middle of a cast, well thats burnt spellpoints.

I have seen a few times where tumblers had huge death rates because their perceived defense bonus of tumbling was lower than standing around and getting dedicated support (heals) attention from group mates. And aggroing 900 mobs because you can outrun them only works so long before they potshot you.

If they want to die, go for it I say.