Isle of Dread and the hard rares

TedSandyman

Before anyone gets upset, I love the hard rares in the Isle of Dread (the demon, the dragon, and the t-rex), I would just like to see them changed a bit.
I very much want them there. I just don't think they should be rares.
I like them. I like the challenge. But I think it would be better if they were extra like the dragons in Gianthold.
Rares have never been SUPER hard. Some of the ones in the Kings Forrest can be a little tricky if you aren't prepared.
Outdoor areas have mostly been a chill experience and fun and decent XP even if not good XP/time.
I like and have always liked that newer players can do outdoor areas easily.
I don't even care too much if the Isle of Dread is changed specifically. Not all outdoor areas have to be the same.
BUT moving forward, I would like to ask the devs to use the Gianthold model for outdoor areas.
I would LIKE hard fights put into ALL the new areas, just don't include them as rares.

droid327

I dont get what you're asking...

The dragon and demon in IoD are already "opt in", because you wont ever come across them unless you try. Only the Rex might ambush you.

Do you just want them to have a dialogue before they aggro?

Reactions: Nox

Ahpuch

I would guess that TS is fine with their presence but that they should not be included in the explorer rare list. Then you can skip them and still get credit for getting all the rares.

T.O.

Huh. The "super rares" are more hit point bags than hard. Thought they were more flaccid than anything.

rabidfox

The People's Champion
If I recall correctly, they were originally just normal rares in early Dread lam stuff. But non-raiders really wanted the ability to make the raid-tier horn debuffs on dino-weapons that required black pearls (originally they were only going to come from the Skele raid); so the devs bumped up a few of the rares to "raid levels (well not really, but conceptually harder)" as a source of them. It was one of those things where the devs did the casual community a solid and made those obtainable outside raids; it just left the explorer rare list an issue as it wasn't originally planned to have them extra-hard.

calouscaine

Grouchy Vet
I've dealt with the dragon and the demon just fine, even solo. . .haven't ever come across the t-rex, not for lack of looking mind. . .he just never shows up.
But yeah, they're more hp sponges than anything if you're prepared. Good source for pearls, thankfully.

Ahpuch

I've dealt with the dragon and the demon just fine, even solo. . .haven't ever come across the t-rex, not for lack of looking mind. . .he just never shows up.
But yeah, they're more hp sponges than anything if you're prepared. Good source for pearls, thankfully.
The key thing with these rares is that you can release and go back to finish the fight as many times as it takes if you really want the credit for them.

Depending on self heal ability, the dragon can be PitA with its poison and wing buffet but in that case see the previous sentence.

calouscaine

Grouchy Vet
The key thing with these rares is that you can release and go back to finish the fight as many times as it takes if you really want the credit for them.

Depending on self heal ability, the dragon can be PitA with its poison and wing buffet but in that case see the previous sentence.
I play a pale master, the dragon's poison is rather. . .useless. That aside, their chests still seem to follow the rule of eight, meaning after eight goes you have to wait a week before they start dropping pearls and named stuff again. At least that's been my experience so far.
That and the dragon hardly ever shows up and I've never gotten the t-rex to appear. The demon is the easiest one to get since you can summon it.
To be honest the demon poses more of a threat with it's constant 'you are nauseous and can't do anything but stand there' aura.
I'm just happy that my tiny guild doesn't have to try and brave the raid for the pearls, I doubt we could three man it since we can't even get past the fae wild raid yet.

TedSandyman

I would guess that TS is fine with their presence but that they should not be included in the explorer rare list. Then you can skip them and still get credit for getting all the rares.
Yes. This. And if they are in a different category, you can get even MORE XP for doing the hard ones.

If it confuses you, some of us enjoy the outdoor areas and like to get all of the rares and locations. Why do you think they put them in at all? It is because some of us actually do the tasks. It has always been a chill easy way to spend some time and get some XP. But finishing the IOD rares is anything but chill. The T-Rex I can only kill by hitting him and running away. A couple of chomps and a sonic blast is a massive amount of damage. One of my favorite parts of any new outdoor area is finding and mapping all the rares and locations. And I usually, at the very least, find all of the locations.

Last edited:

TedSandyman

I know some of you are awesome and have no problem with the rares. But they are much harder than rares anywhere else. I don't really have a problem with my multi-past life alchemist. But my first life bank toon bladeforged couldn't stand near them long enough to do any real damage. And like I said, I don't want to get rid of them, I would prefer they be something extra if they are going to be wildly out of the norm for rares in the other outdoor areas. And I don't even mind if they keep them in IOD, just moving forward I think it would be better to have hard rare encounters, but count them in their own category. That way you could have your challenge and I and other newer players could be able to finish these tasks.

calouscaine

Grouchy Vet
I know some of you are awesome and have no problem with the rares. But they are much harder than rares anywhere else. I don't really have a problem with my multi-past life alchemist. But my first life bank toon bladeforged couldn't stand near them long enough to do any real damage. And like I said, I don't want to get rid of them, I would prefer they be something extra if they are going to be wildly out of the norm for rares in the other outdoor areas. And I don't even mind if they keep them in IOD, just moving forward I think it would be better to have hard rare encounters, but count them in their own category. That way you could have your challenge and I and other newer players could be able to finish these tasks.
Technically they're suppose to be mini raid boss rares, so the likelihood that a first life could do anything with them solo is minimal. Besides, they're not required to kill. They were put in I assume, to allow for an alternate for the pearls instead of forcing equipment upgrades as raid only.

ForeverZero

I dont get what you're asking...

The dragon and demon in IoD are already "opt in", because you wont ever come across them unless you try. Only the Rex might ambush you.

Do you just want them to have a dialogue before they aggro?
I believe what the op is requesting is like the dragons in epic gianthold. Where they are a separate slayer altogether. That would provide extra xp milestones to possibly make the rares more worthwhile to do.

Though on a side note this is probably more of a post for the suggestions thread.

adamkatt

I play a pale master, the dragon's poison is rather. . .useless. That aside, their chests still seem to follow the rule of eight, meaning after eight goes you have to wait a week before they start dropping pearls and named stuff again. At least that's been my experience so far.
That and the dragon hardly ever shows up and I've never gotten the t-rex to appear. The demon is the easiest one to get since you can summon it.
To be honest the demon poses more of a threat with it's constant 'you are nauseous and can't do anything but stand there' aura.
I'm just happy that my tiny guild doesn't have to try and brave the raid for the pearls, I doubt we could three man it since we can't even get past the fae wild raid yet.
the rule of 8?? um thats just ransack like every other chest in the game..

calouscaine

Grouchy Vet
the rule of 8?? um thats just ransack like every other chest in the game..
Thing is, some chests seem to get ransack before 8 goes. Ravenloft chests are pretty good about stopping around five or six I've noticed. But who knows, the loot is probably just really wonky at the moment.

Bjond

I very much want them there. I just don't think they should be rares.

Demon is always up and is right near a portal. T-Rex is so close to a portal that it only takes a few minutes to spawn him. IMHO, the Dragon is too far from a portal to reasonably force-spawn it with zone resets, but if you care enough, you can.

All three are v.easy solo for a L20 Ranged DPS character. This is likely why so many think IOD is so great for SXP; you can farm them to ransack once a week. I've done that a couple times, but it was far more for minor arts -- the SXP was just a bonus. It's far FAR too dull to make it a habit.

Hmm. Unless by "rare" you don't mean spawn-rarity but that they aren't worthy of the purple-name. I don't have much opinion on that. I kinda like that I could farm them for minor-arts, which otherwise can be very tedious to acquire.

calouscaine

Grouchy Vet
Demon is always up and is right near a portal. T-Rex is so close to a portal that it only takes a few minutes to spawn him. IMHO, the Dragon is too far from a portal to reasonably force-spawn it with zone resets, but if you care enough, you can.

All three are v.easy solo for a L20 Ranged DPS character. This is likely why so many think IOD is so great for SXP; you can farm them to ransack once a week. I've done that a couple times, but it was far more for minor arts -- the SXP was just a bonus. It's far FAR too dull to make it a habit.

Hmm. Unless by "rare" you don't mean spawn-rarity but that they aren't worthy of the purple-name. I don't have much opinion on that. I kinda like that I could farm them for minor-arts, which otherwise can be very tedious to acquire.
Yeah, great sentience chow farm with them.

TedSandyman

Technically they're suppose to be mini raid boss rares, so the likelihood that a first life could do anything with them solo is minimal. Besides, they're not required to kill. They were put in I assume, to allow for an alternate for the pearls instead of forcing equipment upgrades as raid only.
Exactly. So these rares are very unlike any rare in any outdoor area anywhere else in the game.

I would almost bet that most people who run raids don't often do the outdoor areas other than a few kills between dungeons and any quest that happens to be a location.

I am saying add tough rares for those who want a challenge, but leave outdoor areas an easier option for those new players or for those of us who are not uber.

If I say take them out because they are hard, others will simply say "I don't have trouble with them" which is not the same as saying they are not hard. Just because you can do them doesn't mean they are not hard.

Lets just put them in a separate class so uses noobs can get our rares and you ubers can get your challenge if you want it.

TedSandyman

I believe what the op is requesting is like the dragons in epic gianthold. Where they are a separate slayer altogether. That would provide extra xp milestones to possibly make the rares more worthwhile to do.

Though on a side note this is probably more of a post for the suggestions thread.
Yes, this could be in suggestions. But no one will see it there. There might have been one or two posts.

I want it discussed generally, so here we are.

rabidfox

The People's Champion
Thing is, some chests seem to get ransack before 8 goes. Ravenloft chests are pretty good about stopping around five or six I've noticed. But who knows, the loot is probably just really wonky at the moment.
You can turn on detailed chest info in settings and see exactly how many times you've looted the chest during a ransack period and when it'll come off ransack. It's more likely you forgot a prior looting, like having opened the chest in heroic while leveling, etc. but that detailed info will let you know for sure.