It is time to RETIRE reapers (the monster)

Justfungus

FIRST THING - we are just talking about the monster itself, not R1-R10.
The Reaper monster was a 'quick fix' kind of thing and it is time to shelve it and replace it with something more in theme with D&D.
I think the Reapers themselves should be replaced with - Villains
There should be different groups of villains (based on dungeon level or area) that at lvls R1-R10 move in and take charge of the monsters there.
Groups like 'The Red Wizards of Thay' and so on.
The villains should be as powerful and as numerous as the Reapers they replace.
This is not a change in difficulty, it is a 'rebranding'.
Each villain group should have their own special abilities based on who they are.
Some groups could be invented for the purpose like 'Harbor area' The Lords of slime cult, and so on.
The fact that the Villain groups will be different will bring in more challenge because 'one set of reaper gear' doesn't cover it all now.
Just a suggestion.

somenewnoob

I wouldn't mind seeing new and improved champs instead of reapers. Reapers always just seemed sort of immersion breaking to me, like he we are in the hobgoblin fortress and here for no real reason is a ethereal reaper.......wouldn't a big bad hob champ be better?

I would even be fine if they had the exact same stuff as reapers. Vengeance champ, doom champ, plague champ etc. And it would be more fun because you could get archer dooms! Can't wing kite that! :p

Rugar

Keep the "wraith" reapers but add other "extraplanar" reapers based on existing models. Personally, I'd like to see:

Tiefling Reapers --> Warlock typed reaper
Slaadi Reapers --> Melee / Barb typed reaper
Redcap Reapers --> Range typed reapers

At higher skull difficulties, instead of just adding in tougher reapers add in increasing chances of reaper "parties" containing a mix of all reaper types.

droid327

So...just a reskin of reapers then, basically? With some new added types?

Deck chairs on the Titanic. The issues with Reaper arent the fact that they all look like floaty ghosts. Its XP, its the way the Reaper penalties affect some builds more than others, etc.

Different new Reaper types? Sure, that could be interesting, if you have some good ideas. But not change purely for change's sake.

Gimp-1

Hoping they expand reaper to R11-R20 cause R10 is getting to the point we dont even bring a healer a lot of times.

Vox

Give us an r10 reaper that drops reaper frags in bags.

Move veng & despair to r3, have new reapers at r5 & r9. Give us some new challenges.

(TBF, all reapers should have a chance to drop reaper shards)

Reactions: DBZ

owl

I would like to see a monster manual for reaper with rewards for super high kill counts.

I am good with new reaper types, but don't care for the suggestions that just want reapers punishing very specific playstyles. I also like the latest approach by the devs of fine-tuning R7-R10 for higher difficulty and leaving the lower skulls alone. It wasn't the original intent, but those have become casual player settings.

Lyrin

Eberron Scholar
I like the idea of reapers occasionally dropping reaper fragments.

My biggest issue with reaper has always been their habit of breaking immersion. Beefier champs always seemed like a better idea to me.

I absolutely do not endorse R11+. That just isolates veterans from New players that much more. I think more focus needs to be on onboarding new players, and making their experience smoother. This is an amazing game hampered by a very unfriendly new player experience.

I am absolutely against more reaper trees/enhancements. If anything, let players with 156 points earn reaper xp they can send to their alts.

Chai

Opposing adventuring parties was a suggestion some of us made a long time ago, back when the game was more D&D system compliant. Nowdays whatever you rolled up would be a reskinned (insert class here) with 200K HP and some blanket immunities.

Don't implement something that gives people faster access to character power. This was the mistake in reaper itself. It will result in more people complaining that even the highest difficulty setting is too easy.

Rugar

So...just a reskin of reapers then, basically? With some new added types?

Deck chairs on the Titanic. The issues with Reaper arent the fact that they all look like floaty ghosts. Its XP, its the way the Reaper penalties affect some builds more than others, etc.

Different new Reaper types? Sure, that could be interesting, if you have some good ideas. But not change purely for change's sake.

Nope, not a reskin... adding more. And adding in the cooperation aspect that they brought in with the extreme challenge dungeons.

You can be negative Nancy and call it "deck chairs on the Titanic" but you have to think about it from a business perspective. Devs can *not* work on Reaper and maybe get an additional 10 quests done in a year. MAYBE. But by reworking Reaper, that adds a bit of fresh air to the entire catalog of quests which are eligible to be run on Reaper. I know you may not like to think of it that way, but when you are trying to keep the lights on in your business you have to think of ways to keep the most customers interested with the least amount of effort on your part. Personally, I'd eliminate the X reaper only appears on Y skulls and above and rework it so that at higher difficulty, reapers appear in larger groups. But that's just me, I'm sure others have equally valid ideas as well.

droid327

If you want to suggest new Reapers, that's fine. If you want to suggest Reapers that synergize and buff nearby mobs, that could work too. I just don't see why you need to create a bunch of new art assets and reskin the Reapers to do that.

Also, I would be careful... the fiasco with the special event recently proved how poorly people receive it when you increase the difficulty in existing R1 quests. I doubt adding new extreme challenge level mobs in all Reaper difficulties would go over much better