just a few wishes for Dwarfs

Chacka

1. The enhancement costs for Child of Mountain, Stand like Stone, and Dwarf Fortress are excessively high. Especially when comparing Child of Mountain with Aasimar Ascendant Bond: Protector, the difference of 6 APs compared to just one AP doesn't seem fair. Particularly considering that Aasimar not only receive a +3 bonus to all saves (not limited to Fortitude), but also gain an additional +10 to both MRR and PRR for that single AP.
  2. I've always wondered why dwarfs, who are known for their ability to automatically search for hidden doors, don't possess that ability in DDO, whereas elves do. It seems like an oversight.
  3. While I appreciate the concept of Spell Resistance as a dragon mark, I question why dwarfs don't have access to Mass Spell Resistance. When compared to the Morninglord, who gains enhancements for Mass SR, Aid, and Death Ward, this discrepancy seems odd.
Additionally, I propose that dwarfs should benefit from the Spell Resistance spell as a permanent buff or effect, or alternatively, the spell should not be susceptible to dispelling (for instance, by beholders, similar to a song).

Regarding the Spell Resistance spell itself, I'm curious as to why it's capped at level 20. Even the maximum caster level increase from Epic Knowledge doesn't affect this spell. Considering that artifacts at level 29 can grant Spell Resistance of 42 with a ML of 29, having 42 Spell Resistance at level 30 doesn't seem excessive to me. Therefore, I would even suggest removing the maximum caster level for this spell but at least Epic Knowledge should work for all Spell Resistance spells/buffs.

Upvote 3

Eme

agree.
ALso seems wrong that Child of Mountain is classed the same as falconry conditioning for the bonus type, a class and race should be different types, a mountain toughened dwarf falconry conditioned should not be the same as an elf falconry conditioned, for example, as one is and should be twice as tough.

droid327

Dwarf racials could very much use an update, but I think the single biggest thing that could create some rolespace for Dwarves would be letting the Strikethrough and Favored Weapon enhancement work for all version of Axes and Hammer/Picks. I dont know why the deuce we shouldn't be able to have a Dwarven KOTC wielding a Greataxe

The next lowest-hanging fruit might be adding another element to T4 that lets Whirling Steel Strike also make you Centered with Battleaxes (or just straight up makes axes/picks/hammers Centering)

Then of course, add con-to-hit to TYWA so its not a complete trap skill

Lazuli

1. The enhancement costs for Child of Mountain, Stand like Stone, and Dwarf Fortress are excessively high. Especially when comparing Child of Mountain with Aasimar Ascendant Bond: Protector, the difference of 6 APs compared to just one AP doesn't seem fair. Particularly considering that Aasimar not only receive a +3 bonus to all saves (not limited to Fortitude), but also gain an additional +10 to both MRR and PRR for that single AP.
  2. I've always wondered why dwarfs, who are known for their ability to automatically search for hidden doors, don't possess that ability in DDO, whereas elves do. It seems like an oversight.
  3. While I appreciate the concept of Spell Resistance as a dragon mark, I question why dwarfs don't have access to Mass Spell Resistance. When compared to the Morninglord, who gains enhancements for Mass SR, Aid, and Death Ward, this discrepancy seems odd.
Additionally, I propose that dwarfs should benefit from the Spell Resistance spell as a permanent buff or effect, or alternatively, the spell should not be susceptible to dispelling (for instance, by beholders, similar to a song).

Regarding the Spell Resistance spell itself, I'm curious as to why it's capped at level 20. Even the maximum caster level increase from Epic Knowledge doesn't affect this spell. Considering that artifacts at level 29 can grant Spell Resistance of 42 with a ML of 29, having 42 Spell Resistance at level 30 doesn't seem excessive to me. Therefore, I would even suggest removing the maximum caster level for this spell but at least Epic Knowledge should work for all Spell Resistance spells/buffs.
2- This is not right. In 3ed, elves have the ability to automatically search secret doors. Dwarves are famed for their stonecrafting and can search too, but elves have a very good perception.
  • +2 racial bonus on Listen, Search, and Spot checks. An elf who merely passes within 5 feet of a secret or concealed door is entitled to a Search check to notice it as if she were actively looking for it.
3-Mornignlord is a cleric, man. Those are cleric spells.

Spell Resistance on races has been pretty useless for years, Drow are supposed to have the highest SR, and devs left it reduced to uselessness.

But the tree needs an update yeah. Same than others of old races.

Last edited:

Chacka

2- This is not right. In 3ed, elves have the ability to automatically search secret doors. Dwarves are famed for their stonecrafting and can search too, but elves have a very good perception.
  • +2 racial bonus on Listen, Search, and Spot checks. An elf who merely passes within 5 feet of a secret or concealed door is entitled to a Search check to notice it as if she were actively looking for it.
3-Mornignlord is a cleric, man. Those are cleric spells.

Spell Resistance on races has been pretty useless for years, Drow are supposed to have the highest SR, and devs left it reduced to uselessness.

But the tree needs an update yeah. Same than others of old races.
I just have the 3.5 Player's Handbook here (German version, so quoting makes not so much sense), and the ability to detect secret doors sounds very similar to elves; both have the ability to discover secret doors as if they are actively searching for them. Even more, according to the handbook, dwarves can do that in a 3-meter radius, and elves only in a 1.5-meter radius. Additionally, the handbook doesn't mention that elves can detect any traps, while the handbook says dwarves also can detect traps.

This means according to the handbook, dwarves are better at "auto-searching" than elves.

Therefore, I think there is a good reason to ask for that ability for dwarves (DDO was initially based on D&D 3.5 after all).

Regarding the Spell Resistance, I can only say I'm not very happy with how it is implemented in DDO, especially since it's not good that monsters have such big spell penetration bonuses with each Reaper skull, and it has no real good structure.

You basically have to be an Acolyte of the Skin or Occult Slayer Barbarian or a Monk to even have any chance to acquire good enough spell resistance to be useful in Reaper.

But anyhow, I would like the Spell Resistance buff to be at least as useful as the items, and it makes no sense when the buff doesn't improve when your character reaches epic levels. Therefore, the SR buff becomes more and more useless for epic and legendary characters (level 21+).

I'm some kind of Spell Resistance "fan," even if the use in DDO is very limited, but I think it should be at least possible to have reliable spell resistance for that limited use if you invest APs, feats (dragon mark), and items for it.

And yes, basically the whole tree needs a pass. I also think the Earth Grab should have unlimited uses or the strike-through bonus should at least also work on great axes. I just tried to make suggestions for the, in my opinion, most important points.

Jack Jarvis Esquire

"I dont know why the deuce we shouldn't be able to have a Dwarven KOTC wielding a Greataxe"

Well because the wee buggerz would trip over themselves with every swing, for one. 😂

Fair points otherwise though. And the OP. 👍

Lazuli

I just have the 3.5 Player's Handbook here (German version, so quoting makes not so much sense), and the ability to detect secret doors sounds very similar to elves; both have the ability to discover secret doors as if they are actively searching for them. Even more, according to the handbook, dwarves can do that in a 3-meter radius, and elves only in a 1.5-meter radius. Additionally, the handbook doesn't mention that elves can detect any traps, while the handbook says dwarves also can detect traps.

This means according to the handbook, dwarves are better at "auto-searching" than elves.
Both have auto-search, but it is different, that of the dwarves only affects stone structures, but includes secret doors and traps; This is due to the dwarven's mastery with the stone, which preclude auto-search when the stone is not involved. The elves' auto-search is not limited by the secret door being camouflaged in stone like the dwarves, and in fact may be something like a secret compartment in a desk drawer, for example. But it does not include autosearch for traps as in the case of dwarves (although an elf trapper can be greatly benefited in the case of traps that include concealment, since trapfinding + autosearch for secret compartments covers many traps).

That's why I said that it would be good to add it to the dwarves, but what you say that in pnp the autopsearch for the dwarves is better, is not true. They are simply different because in the case of dwarves it is about noticing anomalies in something they are very good at, stone constructions, and in the case of elves, it is due to their superior perception and is not limited by the environment. Yes, add it to the dwarves, but nothing about the dwarves having it superior, because it is not true.

In fact I suspect that the original devs didn't include it for dwarves because being limited to traps and secret doors on stone added an extra level of complexity to codify this.

Regarding the Spell Resistance, I can only say I'm not very happy with how it is implemented in DDO, especially since it's not good that monsters have such big spell penetration bonuses with each Reaper skull, and it has no real good structure.

You basically have to be an Acolyte of the Skin or Occult Slayer Barbarian or a Monk to even have any chance to acquire good enough spell resistance to be useful in Reaper.

But anyhow, I would like the Spell Resistance buff to be at least as useful as the items, and it makes no sense when the buff doesn't improve when your character reaches epic levels. Therefore, the SR buff becomes more and more useless for epic and legendary characters (level 21+).

I'm some kind of Spell Resistance "fan," even if the use in DDO is very limited, but I think it should be at least possible to have reliable spell resistance for that limited use if you invest APs, feats (dragon mark), and items for it.

And yes, basically the whole tree needs a pass. I also think the Earth Grab should have unlimited uses or the strike-through bonus should at least also work on great axes. I just tried to make suggestions for the, in my opinion, most important points.
I also don't like how spell resistance is implemented in DDO. At other times I remember it being moderately useful, but since the last pass they did it is absolutely useless. We need a pass on SR itself before changing racial enhancements, and then we need to look at those for all races and classes.

And yes, I already said that I agree that the tree needs a pass

Last edited:

Chacka

Both have auto-search, but it is different, that of the dwarves only affects stone structures, but includes secret doors and traps; This is due to the dwarven's mastery with the stone, which preclude auto-search when the stone is not involved. The elves' auto-search is not limited by the secret door being camouflaged in stone like the dwarves, and in fact may be something like a secret compartment in a desk drawer, for example. But it does not include autosearch for traps as in the case of dwarves (although an elf trapper can be greatly benefited in the case of traps that include concealment, since trapfinding + autosearch for secret compartments covers many traps).

That's why I said that it would be good to add it to the dwarves, but what you say that in pnp the autopsearch for the dwarves is better, is not true. They are simply different because in the case of dwarves it is about noticing anomalies in something they are very good at, stone constructions, and in the case of elves, it is due to their superior perception and is not limited by the environment. Yes, add it to the dwarves, but nothing about the dwarves having it superior, because it is not true.

In fact I suspect that the original devs didn't include it for dwarves because being limited to traps and secret doors on stone added an extra level of complexity to codify this.

I also don't like how spell resistance is implemented in DDO. At other times I remember it being moderately useful, but since the last pass they did it is absolutely useless. We need a pass on SR itself before changing racial enhancements, and then we need to look at those for all races and classes.

And yes, I already said that I agree that the tree needs a pass
Yes, indeed, I think it would be a lot work to let dwarves only detect traps and secret doors made of stone in DDO. So I say keep it simple and give dwarves the same auto-search ability as elves.

And in the end, I think the majority of traps and secret doors in DDO are made of stone anyway.