Knights training with longswords dex tempest

Spoon of Khyber

I have seen a few disscussions of dex based tempest ranger builds using knights training and longswords, but does that work? Longswords aren't considered light melee weapons so they won't get the tempest dex to hit and damage? Am I wrong?

FaustianBargain

Imagine if they made knight’s training work with scimitars.
🥰 🩸🥰 🩸

Honestly throwing that in as a tier 4 ability to select one race linked melee weapon in most racial trees would be cool. “Knights Training now applies to <weapon>”. Requires a solid investment between the feat and action points (or a lot of past lives) so it’s not a giveaway, but it would be a nice boost for melee without being totally overpowered. It makes sense that a wood elf knight would get added bonuses to scimitars, or a drow knight gets short swords, etc.

I’d go one step further and suggest that for races without an associated weapon, add one that’s thematically appropriate AND underloved to give some flavor options. That morningstar might still lag behind, but not quite as badly now.

droid327

The point of KT was to add bonuses to undervalued weapons, not make preferred weapons even more preferable :)

14-20/x4 on scims would blow everything else out of the water lol...

Also no way they give KT to any swash weapons either

Misadventure

Killing everybody on Hardcore with pleasure.
Scimitars aren't knightly weapons...they're weapons of Saracens!
original.jpg

saekee

long live ROGUE
Elves can get dex to damage but not to hit with longswords. Weapon finesse feat does not apply to them.

Only way AFAIK is monk WSS. I suppose you could do 1 monk level and elf; plan on Whirling Steel Strike so weapon focus slashing (hence 2 feats). You gain a free feat as a monk at least.
You would need to burn a lot of AP in the elf tree for the damage modifier shift but if this is the plan, you could aim also for the displacement dragonmarks to justify the AP.
Rangers get a ton of free feats so maybe also take the forms feat to Master of Forms for fire stance crit multi for example.

Another option is 3 monk which would give dex to hit and damage (ninjanspy).

Monk henshin cores give bonus imbue dice and MP so not all bad

Scrag

You could abandon the whole dex to damage and go other routes. DH 5 gets you +1 crit multi, period. Knights training gets you +1 morale multi. 19-20 gm fire gets you +1 multi. Thats a total of +2 multi, +3 on vorpal.

Where it gets interesting is 1 monk 5 dh 14 war domain cleric (preferred da) (or paladin 14) for holy sword +1 competence.

That brings you to +3 crit multi _all the time_, and +4 on vorpal, with centered longswords. Something to think about. Paladin could be an interesting 14 there.

You could trap to...

FuzzyDuck81

Ninja spy core 1 & 2 enhancements let you use dex with any weapon so long as you're centered so you'd be looking at a monk splash using whirling steel strike. A while back just for giggles & inspired by the black whirlwind from jade empire i had a dual axe-wielding fighter/monk/ranger, tier 5 in kensai lets you be centered with your focus weapons.. it was surprisingly effective actually.

Misadventure

Killing everybody on Hardcore with pleasure.
Another option is 3 monk which would give dex to hit and damage (ninjanspy).

Monk henshin cores give bonus imbue dice and MP so not all bad
That is only limited to certain weapons.

Having said that I have dreamed of doing a Whirling Steel Strike monk for ages.

Pesh

Having said that I have dreamed of doing a Whirling Steel Strike monk for ages.
I absolutely love my longsword tempest monk.... abundant step ahead of the party, jade a whole bunch of mobs with strikethru and pose in front of them when your friends round the corner XD

unbongwah

Splash monk, take Weapon Focus Slashing + Whirling Steel Strike, invest a point into Ninja for DEX to hit, take Improved Weapon Finesse or Tempest level 6 core for DEX to damage - BOOM you're now a DEX-based Tempest running with longswords plus you can use monk stances. The obvious downsides are losing Tempest capstone and being stuck with robes.
bKGANCj.jpg

Last edited: