KotC T5 vs. Vanguard T5

rabidfox

The People's Champion
Now that you own Dread, you might want to gear up and play a straight up DPS melee build before venturing into shield bashers and other odd setups so you get a baseline for a what well geared min/maxed DPS build can do. Odd builds are fun and can be made strong but having a point of comparison will help you out.

Vox

Elminster been running the pre-made paths every life and finally looked at the enhancements tab

5E440B2385C1959F74AF5E719BE2E589D97ACF72

unbongwah

Interesting, but why go T5 into Vanguard and not KoTC.
Because I really want the VG capstone for the extra +5% attack speed (+20% total) and free shield-stun procs. But I also really want Haste Boost from Vistani, so that's 49 APs minimum, leaving 32 APs max for KotC. Which, sure, is technically enough to grab, say, Ascendancy by itself or Censure Outsiders + Holy Retribution from T5 KotC. But I think I settled on 41 VG / 21 KotC / 11 VKF / 8 PDK last time I played S&B paladin.

That said, it's your build, do what you want with it. It's also possible to do 41 KotC / 31 VG / 8 VKF. Feel free to experiment with APs.

Mordenkainen

Please SSG, no more nerfs. Thank you!
Now that you own Dread, you might want to gear up and play a straight up DPS melee build before venturing into shield bashers and other odd setups so you get a baseline for a what well geared min/maxed DPS build can do. Odd builds are fun and can be made strong but having a point of comparison will help you out.
Honestly, I'm actually trying to degrade or lower my DPS. Like seriously and I'm not self pandering here like really.

My venture into quasi-tank/DPS territory was the fact that I kept pulling off tanks (even with negative threat gen) and well just demolishing content all the way to R8 or so and that wasn't so cool with my static group I usually play with. Once again I know what you're thinking but it's really not that. It really is about trying to find a sweet spot.

So that sweet spot was like an "in-betweener" so I can like "off-tank" when needed and DPS when I have to without doing mondo 800k damage single hit or something stupid like that.

Mordenkainen

Because I really want the VG capstone for the extra +5% attack speed (+20% total) and free shield-stun procs. But I also really want Haste Boost from Vistani, so that's 49 APs minimum, leaving 32 APs max for KotC. Which, sure, is technically enough to grab, say, Ascendancy by itself or Censure Outsiders + Holy Retribution from T5 KotC. But I think I settled on 41 VG / 21 KotC / 11 VKF / 8 PDK last time I played S&B paladin.

That said, it's your build, do what you want with it. It's also possible to do 41 KotC / 31 VG / 8 VKF. Feel free to experiment with APs.
Interesting.

Well I will demure to your experience and go that way as well. What should I do for stats? Which primary stat(s) or not should I worry most about when gearing and building etc.?

Hobgoblin

It takes patience which you have none of knowledge which you have little of though you are asking questions and attempting to fix that and finally it takes skill. And based on the comments that you have made and the threads you have done this is something that you are lacking at the moment. This is not an insult. It is an observation. Luckily everything but the patience you can obtain!. That being said you might find it fun to play the build that grundii ran as a sword and board paladin.

Mordenkainen

I don't believe you have ever made any build that would classify as high DPS.
Naw man I kinda wish that were true. And frankly what you say is immaterial as I'm the one playing and it's what I'm experiencing.

I should play a more tank focused role or maybe even a healer. My enormous DPS has actually become a liability in my groups and that makes me sad.

Mordenkainen

It takes patience which you have none of knowledge which you have little of though you are asking questions and attempting to fix that and finally it takes skill. And based on the comments that you have made and the threads you have done this is something that you are lacking at the moment. This is not an insult. It is an observation. Luckily everything but the patience you can obtain!. That being said you might find it fun to play the build that grundii ran as a sword and board paladin.
Can you please link grundii's sword and board paladin? Thank you for the help.

Lagin

Can you please link grundii's sword and board paladin? Thank you for the help.
forums, pally section.
S&B vanguard I used to go human, str based, take bastard swd as free extra feat at creation, however, Axel has great blunt dmg build that I ran as a dwarf, picking up dwf's blunt wep focus was a key. shield bashing w/ dbl strike as much as possible helped. Lots of fun to run.

Sheikra

Honestly not much different than the standard twf/thf Razorclaw Barb or bear/x . I think the style of play is just a tad too aggressive.
How do those builds usually look again? And I've been looking for a good str based dps gearset for endgame, would you mind sharing yours?

Mordenkainen

How do those builds usually look again? And I've been looking for a good str based dps gearset for endgame, would you mind sharing yours?
It wouldn't be peak "bleeding edge" max dps. I never had IoD so I had old school "used to be peak" DPS. Light/med red dragonscale with the perfected helm, tail suulo, swap for Baz whenever adren+bould or crush get's off timer.

usually the vulns will already be on there especially if in raids so I kinda got away without any IoD stuff. I don't want to refarm IoD now that Myth is coming out.

Actually been playing around with Ravager and it's crazy DPS after the update. Pressing one button and Visaging six mobs around you is very satisfying, holds reapers too. I think for solo play it's a more conservative but bwtter route. I jacked my intimi to 135, always hits even in R8.

nenetteblackmoor

What should be the main weapon choice when using Colossus?

Which is better?
FoM Weapon + Colossus + the other 3 Forbidden Knowledge, or Dino Weapon + Colossus + the other 4 Forbidden Knowledge.

Or should it be Dino Weapon + Colossus + 4 Dread Curse?

Pano

Interesting. And thank you for replying with something constructive, seriously.

Couldn't I go Helm religion in order to be favored with Bsword?

Interesting, but why go T5 into Vanguard and not KoTC. The only thing good in there is that K ockDown shield dash/chage whatever, but KoTC has some insane things like 5 extra melee power wih enough stacks or the retirbution that just kills evil things instantly. Like whoa stuff.
Helm is Iconics Only. As someone stated you would need to buy +1 heart and make PDK for example. I believe you can select BSwords in tier 3 Devine Crusader If you dont mind waiting for epics