Lag freeze

MSC

Replying to my own post, as I stated that I would try with sound disabled...
With the sound disabled via the checkbox, I have had none of the new instances of post-U59 lock-ups at all over 2 play sessions today (ran all of 3BC, Wheloon (even with wilderness red alerts!), and first 2 of Stormhorns).
Thank you for testing out if sound disabling also made the freeze not happen for you.

Yeah playing DDO without sound is sad/annoying, but at least I kinda got used to it for the last half year cause of the raptor sound crash.

Eleazzar

Sound? Naw I need my music, especially in Dryad! For the game just freezes like its locked and the sound just stops. After about 5 seconds is resumes where ever I ended up. No quest in particular. Random.

Rakehell

Just an update for myself.

What u59 did improve for me is that the game upon loading now unerringly finds my sound/playback device. Previously, 50% of the time when I loaded the game I would get no sound (playback or my voice chat). Now it works 100% perfectly. So that is better.

Also, as mentioned I have had the harsh 10 second freezes. But, once i reincarnated and started in heroic, I have not seen a single freeze in probably 40 quests. And none of my other heroic alts have a problem. But when I was at cap, it froze multiple times per quest.

gravisrs

From DDO EU servers
Another observation.
When those sound-buffer-overflow occurs it freezes for 2-4 seconds, but if it won't unfreeze after ~5 seconds you can be sure it will crash to desktop.
Most of the time those freezes occur is when I use GMoF epic strike (Drifting Lotus) on a crowd. So I guess lot of sound effects are buffered at once and it produces the issue

Sarandra

I'm playing without sound and I'm getting freezes too, usually around 5 seconds or a bit more. Really annoying, in some spots you're just dead right after when you're in tough content.

paddymaxson

From what's been described it sounds a bit like the audio changes mad in u59 are causing audio driver frrezes, has anyone tried playing music outside of ddo to see if they lose allsoundduring theddo freeze?

J1NG

I can do things others can't...
From what's been described it sounds a bit like the audio changes mad in u59 are causing audio driver frrezes, has anyone tried playing music outside of ddo to see if they lose allsoundduring theddo freeze?
In my setup, I do not lose audio, and also in my particular setup, it does not appear that the sound is the issue. So it's very weird. Also the crazy freezes have gone now the weekend is over. Really weird.

J1NG

PaleFox

Recently I update my tcp settings and made sure I am actually using all the bandwidth I could use.

Gambrul

While playing with friends who I am in Discord with, whenever the lock-ups happened I was unable to hear them through Discord, though they were able to hear me through Discord, for the duration of the lock up.

Further info on my experience with this issue, and in regard to some others who inquired above:
Dungeon alert has nothing to do with the new post U59 lock ups. Unless I'm running raids or end-game high reapers, I tend to either solo or duo. In general, I/we clear as I go, and do not trigger dungeon alert, let alone continue to run while increasing dungeon alert levels. Further, lock ups were happening when I was playing with sound outside of quests/wildernesses in non-hostile areas of the game where dungeon alert is an impossibility.

ForeverZero

This issue has happened to me off an on since 2019.

Once I got to run around on rooftops in the Marketplace because of it. I discovered that jumping repeatedly while frozen launches you into the air when the game finally unfreezes. And if you're near roofs, you can land on them.

...but don't tell Cordovan.

Oops.
I mean theres a massive ladder in market you can just climb and do same thing.

Jeronimo

I tried the 32-bit client today... not a single freeze during 2.5 hours. However, I was favor running low and mid level heroic quests... so that might impact. Will try some more serious questing as well.

Aurasa

Sigh, same situation. And looks like wrong thread of forum for that . Technical Support looks better place for it. Happy hunting! Hope freezes will gone before HardCore %)

Scrag

Having the same problem since 59 update. 5s freeze. It's fairly uncommon but the length can make it quite dangerous.
This has mirrored my experience. Zero lag, except the monster freeze. Unfortunately lots of things happen around me when it happens. I was in the middle of a puzzle, froze, and came out. Puzzle progressed, and I didn't know what to click (simon says puzzle). I clicked an item at random and it was ok, so I clicked another and nope, puzzle reset. :p

I was doing one quest with the (bronze?) dragon in the quest in the market and the pools of lightning all around. As soon as he did the tail thump, instant freeze. Just the once. But it was clearly tied to that, because the freeze didnt happen until the effect of the tail thump occured.

ForeverZero

Been here since 09 (Mod 9) and experienced various types of game lag throughout the years, many of which I would hardly run into due to having a rigorous gaming rig and a decent connection.

The game suddenly freezing is nothing new.

However, the more recent type of "freezing" game lag, is not quite the same as previous ones where no one is moving or doing anything else. So if the developers are reading this, this is definitely something not quite the same.

Quick preliminary tests show that other movement in game can and still happens and will update onto your screen even whilst your actions do nothing in game. Which suggests our client is not entirely frozen, but what "we" - the player, attempt to do in game - is entirely frozen for the duration and out of sync with the game server (since we can be bounced back a second or two's worth of movement and can even see the server update the enemies and even other players to move them to our last position and attack, continue the quest, etc).

Had this been an entire game server freeze, like in the good old Baba raid where it can just freeze entirely and no one but enemies can do anything, this would even be "normal" for DDO. However, here, recently - for me, this new lag is not the same.

Now, the last week or so here in the UK, there has been increased use and activity on the networks because of King Charles coronation. So it "might" be possible that everything is all hunky-dory in my home network and over with SSG servers, but it's actually the network in the UK that's acting up. I can't rule that out.

Or, there's something very off with U59 given it only started after then. And only getting worse throughout the weekend(s).

J1NG
It's not just you this happens to. I've seen it a few times where I'm stuck but i can perfectly see others moving and doing wtuff while im SoL for a good few seconds.

Bjond

Is the DDO game server "rotating" between players and desyncing their combat actions and movement in game? Hence why this strange occurance? (Where we are frozen, but others around us are fine?)

The one notable freeze for me had all of us in the raid frozen at the same time for about 20s. We were chatting about in Discord while it happened; "Ugh, lag spike." "Me too" "Got me." "Uh, this is a long one." etc etc.. This was after U59.

Another that has suddenly cropped up for me is "You are out of range of the banker". I never got this one until U59, not even back when everyone else was complaining about it. Now it's about 50/50 for any time I open the bank. The error is given when you try to add or remove items, not on opening the bank and it can happen with reopening the bank after a successful first open; ie. first time works, close, reopen, try to add/remove, out-of-range -- just gotta keep opening & closing until it works. Once it works, it seems to always work; the range check seems to be done only once. I can move about even pretty far away once it works and it still works.

Jeronimo

I've been running some more with the 32-bit client, blasting away with my sorc in legendary content... works smooth without any client freezes. So, I'll use this as a workaround until the devs acknowledge and fix the issue with the 64-bit client. I don't want to play without sound. :)

Gambrul

I've been running some more with the 32-bit client, blasting away with my sorc in legendary content... works smooth without any client freezes. So, I'll use this as a workaround until the devs acknowledge and fix the issue with the 64-bit client. I don't want to play without sound. :)
Thank you for this information. I'll try the same, as I've been avoiding playing at all.
Formal ticket submitted... waiting for response.

jaredirons

I am using the 32-bit client and I play on Wayfinder so lag has never been an issue for me until U59 came out and all of the hype claiming it to be the end of lag for DDO. Last night my group ran Heroic Borderlands and the lag was unplayable inside of the quests. The weird thing was there was no lag in the explorable area, only inside of the quests. There were a few quests that we had to recall/reset several times because we would just freeze and could not move for extended periods at a time while other quests were fine. Those we had to reset, had to be reset 3-5 times before we got into an instance that was lag free.

Gambrul

Yup... that worked!
Changed to 32 bit client, and ran with sound. Not a single instance of lock-up for the entire Saltmarsh saga, running R10s, in a group of 5-6. Three casters in party, with plenty of AoE throughout the run.
Also, ran under same conditions on my ranged toon in team with a caster for the epic Red Fens series with the same result... no lock-ups.