Let's make Exalted Angel Epic

Frantik

Exalted Angel – let’s make it EPIC

Before U66, there were a number of cringeworthy abilities in EA and the update has in my eyes not improved this Destiny. I think SSG may have some non-communicated plan to enhance EDs in the future through the expansion of levels 33-40 but I still feel that each ED should be Epic on its own. And Exalted Angel isn’t truly epic right now.

The idea is not to re-write EA but to enhance the existing SSG model, let’s work with what we have and make it attractive.

What needs to be addressed
- Fire damage isn’t good or reliable at higher levels
- the tier 3 mantle ability ; it went from OP to trash in one update
- tier 3 Noble Ability multi-selector is garbage
- Holy Fireball got badly nerfed and it’s weak sauce right now

What would I do to make EA Epic?
- change damage types: fire and light become Divine Fire and Divine Light which bypass all immunities (not resistance) for every ability in this ED

- keep cores as they are

- Stand and Be Judged: (a fervent prayer?) shorten the animation and show player pointing to the heavens

- Noble Affinity… this gets it’s own paragraph...

- the Sun Bolt SLA is trash; CD is 12 seconds, the AoH version CD is 6 seconds, and the basic spell CD is 3 seconds. It is also bugged as metamagics don’t work
- Flaming Sphere should never be here in the first place
- Mass Cure Moderate Wounds SLA is completely fine

Remove this trash version of Sun Bolt. Remove Flaming Sphere. Bring back Soundburst SLA and for third choice add Epic Improved Turning Feat (twice as good as heroic version).

- Angelic Soul. Hmmm. I guess there is no point in proposing to go back to AoE HoT but for 2 DP it is trash. Add +1 and -1 to saves plus a further +1/-1 per 4 epic/legendary levels.

- Delayed Judgement. Change damage to 25d20’s and double it in Legendary (31-40).

- Holy Fireball SLA. Make damage 1d8+8 Divine Fire and Divine Light and increase CD to 20 seconds.

Easy peasy lemon squeezy!

Upvote 2

DBZ

Use it give us some numbers and then all the horrible effects on top and no stripping and it can brake raids

A tank can get 5k procs on it

J1NG

I can do things others can't...
the Sun Bolt SLA is trash; CD is 12 seconds, the AoH version CD is 6 seconds, and the basic spell CD is 3 seconds. It is also bugged as metamagics don’t work

Remove this trash version of Sun Bolt.
Can I ask when you did the testing for these? Because my tests just now (and before from a while back) suggest that Metamagics work fine with it and nothing has changed since I tested it many years ago.

Also, whilst Sun Bolt Angel of Vengeance Cooldown is 6 seconds, it is counted as a Level 3 spell and will be stopped by Mantles. It might not have a save, but this was a copy from Searing Light or another similar spell back then, and was the original FvS Capstone for Forgotten Realms Races.

The Cleric one is different, it has a save and also counted as Level 3 (this was the original one that was a spell), it can be reduced in cooldown between uses but it needs the most investment to get working reliably.

Whilst this Epic Destiny version has a save, it is counted as a Level 10 spell and thus can burn through most protections that the other Sun Bolts can not. So it's not entirely trash, but has it's own use.

J1NG

The Blonde

Catalogues Bugs
Can I ask when you did the testing for these? Because my tests just now (and before from a while back) suggest that Metamagics work fine with it and nothing has changed since I tested it many years ago.

Also, whilst Sun Bolt Angel of Vengeance Cooldown is 6 seconds, it is counted as a Level 3 spell and will be stopped by Mantles. It might not have a save, but this was a copy from Searing Light or another similar spell back then, and was the original FvS Capstone for Forgotten Realms Races.

The Cleric one is different, it has a save and also counted as Level 3 (this was the original one that was a spell), it can be reduced in cooldown between uses but it needs the most investment to get working reliably.

Whilst this Epic Destiny version has a save, it is counted as a Level 10 spell and thus can burn through most protections that the other Sun Bolts can not. So it's not entirely trash, but has it's own use.

J1NG
Are you certain that the AoV Sun Bolt does not have a save?
Good to know that metamagics work on EA Sun Bolt, I was also under the impression that it was bugged in that regard.

jotmon

EA new Angelic form sucks effectively making this stance pointless vs other stances.
Only reason to take EA is for Wings and MCM... the rest of the points spent are just filler.

Reactions: DBZ

rabidfox

The People's Champion
The mantle reduces mobs by 5 mrr/prr via an upgrade in the tree and the turn ability another 5mrr/prr. This is solid awesome for grouping and pretty nice even when solo. My healer generally never used EA's mantle before, now it feels way more desirable to me.

Frantik

J1NG
J1NG, all my respects. I generally take HEIGHTEN and add to all SLAs with saving throws... GCS is a primary example, as Heighten gains an effective +4 DCs. A heightened AoH SLA would surely be recalculated as a lvl 9 spell if full FvS no?

As for metas not working for the EA SLA, I am, hand on my heart, going by what is written on the DDO wiki page; I always take the Mass Cure Moderate Wounds SLA anyway, as a (bugged?) Sun Bolt with long CD doesnt really do it for me and Flaming Sphere, well its flaming sphere and the only time i ever used it was for soloing Inferno of the Damned many years ago. I will try to remember and test the EA Sun Bolt SLA soon and report back, and then perhaps be forced into reconsidering this option or not.

EDIT (Flaming Sphere)... I guess if you were a tank, and had chosen EA for a secondary tree, then Flaming Sphere could be an extra source of hate.

Last edited:

Frantik

The mantle reduces mobs by 5 mrr/prr via an upgrade in the tree and the turn ability another 5mrr/prr. This is solid awesome for grouping and pretty nice even when solo. My healer generally never used EA's mantle before, now it feels way more desirable to me.
My melee FvS was using EA during U66; they were basically unstoppable with the 6 sec HoT (as were the summons) and I get that it was OP. I am not trying to snear at -5 PRR/MRR but +500/600 health every 6 seconds was better. Much, much better.

Frantik

I know i dumped ea never going back
You adapt; I really wish that SSG would make each ED "epic" but I still see utility in EA... the core 4 is very nice and I am very curious to try the turning abilities with the Epic Moment. I did read that somebody saw a large boost to the Pillar of Light damage (was 1d6+6 which was fine but now is 1d8+8). As a healer/caster or healer/melee there are not so many options.

Frantik

DI wings have a very long cooldown and are not very useful. Despite being a tier 5!
Hi, I have noticed that this is a subject close to your heart. I sort of get that SSG made a decision to keep the same CD as that from Dragonborn. I do think that they could do a similar thing with EA leap where if you already have Memory of Flight then the CD gets reduced. And let's face it, there probably isn't a better race for DI than Dragonborn.

Frantik

EA new Angelic form sucks effectively making this stance pointless vs other stances.
Only reason to take EA is for Wings and MCM... the rest of the points spent are just filler.
Again, i do see more utility in EA than the wings and the MCMW sla. I just don't think the changes that SSG introduced warrants "epic".

Lazuli

Hi, I have noticed that this is a subject close to your heart. I sort of get that SSG made a decision to keep the same CD as that from Dragonborn. I do think that they could do a similar thing with EA leap where if you already have Memory of Flight then the CD gets reduced. And let's face it, there probably isn't a better race for DI than Dragonborn.
Yes, it really bothers me that even though the devs said they wanted to improve what was weak and not just nerf what stood out, they only nerfed the DI without fixing any of the weak things.

Wings in particular are a very weak ability for a Tier 5. They have a very long cooldown.

If they had fixed the weak things as well as nerfed the outstanding thing with fewer hammers and more scalpels, people wouldn't be mad at them now.

Reactions: DBZ

Frantik

Yes, it really bothers me that even though the devs said they wanted to improve what was weak and not just nerf what stood out, they only nerfed the DI without fixing any of the weak things.

Wings in particular are a very weak ability for a Tier 5. They have a very long cooldown.

If they had fixed the weak things as well as nerfed the outstanding thing with fewer hammers and more scalpels, people wouldn't be mad at them now.
I find that SSG suffer consistency with U66 and, for example, epic strikes. I get that DI Dragon Breath was strong, but to nerf it by more than 50% was a bad call imho. And PA Shard Storm; I get that they reduced the tic damage but to add a save that can completely remove the DoT is over-kill. A Save for half damage? No, a save to completely render the "epic" strike useless.

EDIT (and I am sorry I repeat myself)... Shadow Dancer epic strike is now a beam; why not instead either increase damage, reduce cooldown, or even look up the dictionary under S, for Synergy, and grant the epic strike a short duration vulnerability to sneak attack why don't ya!