Lets play a game: You are producer of DDO for 1 day!

Darksteel

Since the game is down lets play a fun game: You are given an opportunity to be the producer of DDO for 1 day (and 1 day only), invited to office with free pizza and drinks, and you can make 3 decisions which will be implemented without fail. What will be your 3 decisions/orders be?

CherryBomb

1. eliminate any restriction on forming parties that limits the range available. ie, remove level restrictions from the former BB, now delving, reapers levels and hero, epic legendary. All of these things limit which parties a player can join to run quests with incentives such as possible XP earning. It is now hard enough to find groups but then to be restricted from joining???

2. get rid of the holding/freezing mechanic where a player becomes incapacitated for a period of time and the mobs beat the tar out of them.. not fun to be otherwise capable and to be just helpless while watching the HP drain away to the point of death.

3. better define the mechanics of how features operate and what to do to mitigate lameness. this is sort of a repeat of my #2. for example, I am thinking of things like the knock spell. what the heck should I be doing to make my knock spell effecting in higher levels? I know that the store bought bells work, why not my knock? is it a skill thing, a spell school thing, or what? I have asked many times and looked at forum posts and wiki pages, still no clue.

Selh'teus

Monstrous Humanoid
1. Addressing lag will be highest priority. Not a single polygon or texture of new content until the game is improved. Dash attacks (Spring Attack, Lead the Charge, Shield Charge, etc.) feel awful and frequently send you careening in an unintended direction or rubber-banding backwards. Ranged attacks still feel awful, unless you enjoy shooting crates 3 or 30 times. If AI path-finding is causing server load, then all pets, summons, and hirelings (even purchased ones), without exception, will be converted into something more along the lines of Falconry with passive auras that are representative of their role (i.e., Paladin hireling grants defensive bonuses, etc.). Enhancement trees featuring pets (Dark Hunter) will be adjusted where approriate, and we will move on with life and never, ever make these mistakes again.
Anything that involves potential lag and AI decision-making will be evaluated.

2. The entirety of the DDO store and VIP benefits will be streamlined and reassessed. Not merely a fresh coat of paint for the storefront or larger icons for the older whales to view without their bifocles. No more ambiguity (expansion/mini-expansion... mini-mini-expansion). You will know, without consulting an outside resource, what you are missing in a digestible format that also accounts for future content. When talking to a quest-giver, the quest dialog will have the appropriate content's icon displayed (either illuminated or grayed-out) to indicate accessibility. You will never unwittingly be sent to talk to someone about going to Dinosaur Land, only to be Gotcha'd! at the last second. The player's time will be respected, and enjoyment of the game will be placed front-and-center.

3. Look into ways to invigorate the player economy and the Auction House (crafting, fishing, gardening, whatever). Make players excited to be citizens of Stormreach. Revive platinum and faze out Astral

(Error): The chat server is temporarily unavailable.

Selh'teus

Monstrous Humanoid
Honestly, if this game had the ability to freeze combat/turn-based, it would basically be my ideal Neverwinter Nights 3. I love the Dreamcast/PS2 aesthetic, the sense of verticality with the jumping puzzles, the voice narration, the music... There are so many things I love about this game.

vryxnr

To be fair, the below are expensive and risky, but we're talking ideal "without fail" here, so...

1: Hire a second team whose sole purpose is to (over the course of several years) re-build the game on a new/modern engine, with extensive documentation, with the end goal of transferring all accounts / characters and guilds smoothly to a more stable and accessible engine (same coders with documentation so that when things need to be changed or fixed, it's easier to do. No more getting lost in spaghetti code ... in theory. Which will hopefully also allow for easier future implementation of other desired features like UI scaling, a proper cosmetics tab, removal of invisible walls and replacing them with actual art assets, fixing of ladder bugs, personal housing with display racks so one can showcase bound loot for others to visit and see but not steal, perhaps even a more advanced graphics toggle where players can choose (personal hardware depending) on Classic style and Gritty (imagine DDO but with Dark Souls or Elden Ring style graphics), re-implement some of the original stealth tactics this game used to boast, like creating distractions by using a ranged attack on a wall to make a sound that nearby enemies would investigate, allowing you to sneak by with a larger range of safety from enemy spot/listen checks, larger/more accommodating bank space, etc).

2: Hire a larger QA team, not just for new content, but to also play the game, quest by quest, to keep all content working and enjoyable. Unlike other MMOs, DDO actually keeps all content relevant via the TR cycle, and thus old content should not be neglected/ignored, and old bugs should not last long as they do now. (it may be a stretch, but include in game customer service into this category, where they are people who also play the game and thus know the game, and can actually help in the moment instead of passing you off to an email system with a dev who may, one day, maybe address the bug, if they can figure it out days later, maybe, if we're lucky)

3: Invest in marketing. The current system of an email sent out to vets with info on new releases to bring them back for a purchase (which indicates the expected cycle is vets stop playing, then they come back for a purchase, then stop playing again until the next release) works for short term / quarterly reports... but is a model that tends to slowly fade until it fails in the long term. For long term profits and dare I say actual growth, new players need to be coming in regularly and constantly. In addition to emails for the on-again-off-again vets, and the short vido clips that are only found on DDO's own websites and social media pages, there should also be adds to get completely new eyes on the product/game. Of course, to retain new players brought in by more extensive advertising, the new-player experience needs to be good/enjoyable and up to date, which leads me to honorable mentions...

Honorable Mention: Revisit the new player experience (not just korthos, but early harbor as well) with a focus on retention via engagement and enjoyment (not via scummy manipulation of human addiction tenancies) so that new players keep playing because they enjoy the game.

Honorable Mention 2: make sure the server hardware is advanced and up to date to be able to handle thousands of players at once per world (including players doing things that in the past have caused server lag) so ensure that it (servers and their calculations of player actions) is no longer a source of lag.

HM 3: encourage regular play time for all the devs and management to ensure everyone is fluent in the game they're a part of making

HM 4: as an extension of the massive rebuild of #1, impress upon the teams that it's about player fun (not manipulating money from addiction), and mandate the slow revisiting of all quests and areas to allow for more exploration and multiple ways to handle situations (allow rogues to unlock more doors instead of requiring kill all X to unlock, make the walkmesh match the art assets, so that if it looks like a character can walk somewhere or stand on a ledge, they actually CAN, and if this means cheese tactics gets introduced, embrace it and adjust the encounters and enemy AI to compensate in a fair/realistic way like melee enemies running for cover or pulling out bows to shoot back at characters on "safe" perch spots, etc)

Last edited:

PraetorPlato

3. better define the mechanics of how features operate and what to do to mitigate lameness. this is sort of a repeat of my #2. for example, I am thinking of things like the knock spell. what the heck should I be doing to make my knock spell effecting in higher levels? I know that the store bought bells work, why not my knock? is it a skill thing, a spell school thing, or what? I have asked many times and looked at forum posts and wiki pages, still no clue.
https://ddowiki.com/page/Knock!
it's a CL+main stat check against open lock DC, same as the one rogue checks against. Store bells are CL 99. You can also see this in combat log or the dice roll popup.

TrinityTurtle

1) I want the myth drannor option in that survery, and i want it to be HUGE. The biggest addon ddo has ever seen.
2) I want 2000 slots on my shared bank. I want room to but all this loot I build up.
3) I want the ability to wear my cosmetic hats and have my hair, and also wear cosmetic eyes.

And if I was charming enough at the pizza party, an alphabetical sort on the pet and horse tabs so I can find things easier would be lovely. I have like 25 mounts and 102 pets. LOL Or a cosmetics closet I can put everything in and just wear it when I want it. One of those. :)

Weaponalpha

There is no way to make the Knock spell more effective outside of caster level and casting ability bonus. Transmutation boosts do not affect it. This is quite lame...

1) Address the lag issue, it has been bad and while it may be clientside and serverside both it needs to be figured out to make the game playable at times.

2) Increase level cap to the maximum level that an epic legendary can go, let's face it the level cap at 32 and some quests cap at 36 or so is kind of an issue. Yes it presents a good challenge, BUT it's something that we need to at least get an increase to.

3) I would greenlight and get started a Dark Sun expansion, which would allow players to explore a classic and challenging region of D&D that as of now will likely not ever see the light of day in tabletop. It would be quite fun, and add some unique survival mechanics such as a dehydration debuff etc.

Xanthain

1) No new content till ladders are fixed
2) Look at all existing named loot and update anything that is not up to par with current Item levels (looking at you Eveningstar)
3) Hire Critical role to write and voice act an entire expansion (I couldnt think of a 3rd one but something about a dungeon narrated by Grog tickles me)

knightgf

Why three when I can do all I need with one?

1. Close the business and liquidate all assets.

This game is long overdue for a reroll. Until that kind of closure happens for us all, I will keep playing on and off as usual.

I'll take a hard pass on Critical Role, not a fan of them and I would rather they stay out of DDO. Honestly I think their done with anything D&D at this point too, so I doubt they would.

That's a good one! Now I want to go back replace one of the ones on my list with: "a *working* exit door for every quest."

We all know how non working exit doors on night clubs and other places cost lives in the past, non-working exit doors on quests are just as bad though that one may be related to the lag issue. Times of REALLY bad lag I found they were not working consitently.