List of Quests where DDoor is Useful

Dragavon

- Invitation: skip the difficult Shadow fight at the beginning

- Oath of Vengeance: skip backtracking after flipping levers

- Reach: cast before grabbing the Beacon and go up the tower instead of fighting out of the basement

- Into the Deep: cast before pulling the flood lever to skip the swim

- Wiz King: skip runback from wrong wings

- Diplomatic Impunity: skip run back to Henrietta after talking to the scout

- Stone Crypt: quick return from spider tunnels

- Quid Pro Quo: skip runback after completing wings. Do the Griffon wing first, since it takes <60 secs and your DDoor wont be off CD yet if you just used it

Bunch I'm missing here of course, so where else do you get use out of it? I'd love to find new places to save seconds :)
Well, enjoy your DD until it gets disabled.

This is why we can not have nice things.

droid327

Well why are you cynics all still playing a game where you're so convinced the designers of the game actively don't want you to have fun?

This isn't an exploit or some NWAI, it's the singular purpose of the spell

So if you don't want to share your knowledge, then dont...but I am, so if you don't like it then you may all politely bite it, but don't derail the thread with toxic cynicism

And I thought of another:

-Sunrise: quickly get back to the Abbott optional for extra xp and named drops

GrizzlyOso

Lately I’ve been more annoyed at the player base doing everything they can to avoid parts of quests and plan all these short cuts when I’ve just already buzz sawed the thing and we can just move on.

For example, the first fight in invitation is actually fairly trivial , but people will wait forever for ddoor player or hire or whatever . Just murder the things and move on. It takes ten seconds .

The amount of time people will spend to skip a fight but we’re all so over powered anyway is absurd, even r10 groups sometimes it’s like, we’re already lawnmowering everything , let’s just do that

At the same time people refuse to learn amber has more ways to go than just normal floor break way , and will ONLY go their “optimal” way even though it’s not optimal.

droid327

Lately I’ve been more annoyed at the player base doing everything they can to avoid parts of quests and plan all these short cuts when I’ve just already buzz sawed the thing and we can just move on.

For example, the first fight in invitation is actually fairly trivial , but people will wait forever for ddoor player or hire or whatever . Just murder the things and move on. It takes ten seconds .

The amount of time people will spend to skip a fight but we’re all so over powered anyway is absurd, even r10 groups sometimes it’s like, we’re already lawnmowering everything , let’s just do that

At the same time people refuse to learn amber has more ways to go than just normal floor break way , and will ONLY go their “optimal” way even though it’s not optimal.
I think it's more for soloing really, but that shadow fight is one of the hardest at-level in the game, it's no joke.

And what way are people going now in Amber? I thought the latest change made it pretty straightforward, first two guardians, jump across, restore the lich and search the hidden door

erethizon1

In: All the quests without Dimensional anchor, DD-> exit quest is faster than recall :)
I've played DDO mostly on an laptop I bought 12 years ago to play DDO. The time it takes to load into the start after using DDoor makes it longer than recalling.

Br4d

I think it's more for soloing really, but that shadow fight is one of the hardest at-level in the game, it's no joke.

And what way are people going now in Amber? I thought the latest change made it pretty straightforward, first two guardians, jump across, restore the lich and search the hidden door

The real problem in that fight for me is vision. Low light, primary mobs are dark-colored. It's just easier to DDoor away and skip the fight.

DDO Gaming

DDoor is so useful the devs felt compelled to disable it in "madness of the crowds" to allow gamers a more...fuller experience of playing the quest.

Because you know...nothing smells like the sweet aroma of devs working hard than...devs nerfing random stuff that makes the game easier to play

erethizon1

DDoor is so useful the devs felt compelled to disable it in "madness of the crowds" to allow gamers a more...fuller experience of playing the quest.

Because you know...nothing smells like the sweet aroma of devs working hard than...devs nerfing random stuff that makes the game easier to play
They weren't nerfing making the game easier to play, they were nerfing making the game easier to not play. DDooring past intended encounters is skipping right past playing the game.

saekee

long live ROGUE
FYI I have never seen the DDoor of Mikayl the Pious disappear, unlike others.

This makes his DDoors especially useful in the-challenges-that-few-now-run.

Hands down my most used and abused hireling

droid327

They weren't nerfing making the game easier to play, they were nerfing making the game easier to not play. DDooring past intended encounters is skipping right past playing the game.

What's an 'intended encounter' though? Are there any encounters that are ever unintended?

I think everyone would agree that skipping things like major named-mob fights etc. is not a reasonable expectation. But skipping a few packs of trash mobs? Saving a minute or so of completion time? That's comparable with a lot of the quests on these lists, and also comparable with other quest design elements that let you skip some fights or take shortcuts if you pass certain skill checks or have enough quest knowledge

Lanadazia

well, even if you can skip a fight in a quest, as long as its just a bunch of mobs i don't think the devs would mind.
using a spell to do exactly what it says it does is nothing to be concerned about. as long as you do not skip the entire quest but a walk or a short fight - who cares?
its your moment to shine basically. pretty sure the devs have an eye on this when designing encounters

The Narc

Lol big nerf incoming

Br4d

What happens if you have him put up a DDoor and then dismiss him?

I'll try this when I get home and see how long the DDoor sticks around.

erethizon1

What's an 'intended encounter' though? Are there any encounters that are ever unintended?

I think everyone would agree that skipping things like major named-mob fights etc. is not a reasonable expectation. But skipping a few packs of trash mobs? Saving a minute or so of completion time? That's comparable with a lot of the quests on these lists, and also comparable with other quest design elements that let you skip some fights or take shortcuts if you pass certain skill checks or have enough quest knowledge
Take Rainbow in the Dark. Ddooring after you get the crest isn't really any faster than just running back to the crest socket, but it does allow you to avoid all the encounters that appeared only after you grabbed the crest. In this case it makes Ddooring the more boring option because it takes just as long with nothing to do along the way, but people do it anyway because they perceive it to be easier (and it may well be easier in a weak party or on higher reaper). I don't have anything against choosing to ddoor in this case, but it does skip past encounters that were added just to give you something to fight on the way back (so it wouldn't be boring backtracking with nothing to do).

Talzor

Don't know what others are doing but after the change (really miss the old Amber :( this used to be my favorite quest in the game) my friend and I start by grabbing Marak in the center basement chamber, then run through the big center door and go up to Heinrich (Etherna) then drop down right outside his portal and run though the secret door in the North Eastern treasure chamber.

PaleFox

What is that quest with kobolds where you have to fight a green/black mama dragon at the end as an optional?

DD will let you get out on time.