Looking for a Fantasy Book (forgot the name)

Mand O'Lin

Singer of Songs Drinker of Drinks
Hello all!
I have been trying to find a fantasy book I read 20+ years ago. Unfortunately many of the details (like character names) escape me, but here is what I do remember:
- Humorous fantasy adventure
- It was based on the mad wizards dungeon idea. Citizens from all over would come to the city to venture into the dungeon looking for loot.
- I seem to recall the local government taxing whatever loot was pulled out of the dungeon.
- The story revolved around a single group of adventurers.
- One of the adventurers was a fire wizard who was immune to fire damage and would forget that others were not. So he had no problems setting off a fireball at his feet and would then apologize after setting his fellow adventurers on fire. I think said wizard also smoked a pipe which.
- In one instance they tore an entire room apart looking for loot, including whittling down the legs of the desk (just in case).
- I believe one of them carried an 11 foot pole, because there are some things you just don't touch with a 10 foot pole.
- It was reasonably short... 100-ish pages.
I seem to remember reading it around the same time as The Misenchanted Sword, but not as long ago as 1985... though it may have been 1995.

Does anybody remember reading this book and the name? I recall it being a very fun read - like Xanth (or at least the first few Xanth books).

Thanks!

Mand O'Lin

Hall of heroes? i remember something like that on kindle
That doesn't sound right... and when I looked it up, it seems to be quite different.

This was a single, stand alone book. Not part of a series nor directly related to any "franchise".

Rathy

I have been trying to find a fantasy book I read 20+ years ago.
My guess is that you are thinking of "Another Day, Another Dungeon" by Greg Costikyan (Book 1 in Cups & Sorcery) but that was published in 1990 in my odd little universe!

Timaeus d'Asperge is the name of that Fire Mage I think you are remembering.

But good luck hunting! If you don't mind, say Hi for me to Doc Macpherson if you stop by!

Mand O'Lin

My guess is that you are thinking of "Another Day, Another Dungeon" by Greg Costikyan (Book 1 in Cups & Sorcery) but that was published in 1990 in my odd little universe!

Timaeus d'Asperge is the name of that Fire Mage I think you are remembering.

But good luck hunting! If you don't mind, say Hi for me to Doc Macpherson if you stop by!
That is it exactly! I did not realize it was part of a series as this is the only one I read.

Thank you!!! I have been trying to figure out which book it was for years! :)

Edit: Already place an order for a copy!

Last edited:

Rathy

That is it exactly! I did not realize it was part of a series as this is the only one I read.

Thank you!!! I have been trying to figure out which book it was for years! :)

Edit: Already place an order for a copy!
Yay! You are very welcome!!
I credit this successful identification due to my rave-fav reading spot: The Library of Babel!!

now i want to read this!
Double Yay!!

Rathy

I have been trying to get my wife to turn a spare room into a library... that picture would not help my cause.
Ha, ha! Good luck on that reading room! Will it be hexagonal by chance? ;)

Ok, that pic is an artist's conception of an 'expansion' of the original Library. The original rooms are simple identical hexagonal rooms.
(See short story "The Library of Babel" 1941 Spanish. 'La biblioteca de Babel'. It was translated to English 1962. (I had to look all that up!) ).

The famous Library itself. Think a place where the results from all those monkeys randomly banging away on all those typewriters are kept and everything is made into bound books. So the general version of the Library is a place with infinite size where physical books of all (all) possible combinations of all symbols used in all written languages exist.

It is not a safe place due to inhabitants, being a infinite maze, and various sanity stressors. But every bit of past and future knowledge (magic, science, whatever) exists, every truth (and falsehood) exists, etc. Thus endless knowledge so endless power (e.g., a book detailing all the hidden secrets and weaknesses of your foes!) so it attracts various heroes and villains. True, most of the books are babbling nonsense, but hey, just keep looking for whatever you need or want. You just need infinite time to find it!

I tend to hang out near a monkey group lead by an intelligent orangutan. I'm hoping for a new disc-world story and they don't mind me as long as I bring bananas. Feel free to stop by if you get lost!

Hope you get your room made! Although after it is done, do be careful about opening any randomly appearing doors! :)

(ok, I will stop spamming this thread with my silliness. Have fun reading the book! The room search scene alone is worth it for any RPG player.)

Mand O'Lin

Book is in hand... hardcover, so that is good.
Now I need to wait 3 weeks before I can read it. Ohhhhhhh - I hope I have been a good boy!