Low-Life Pally Tank Build for Difficult Content

PraetorPlato

This is the build I've been playing on my second-favorite character for a while, and have retooled into a tank for the LD first life raid challenge. It's a pally tank aimed at pushing skulls in raids on a first lifer and making r10 questing smooth and easy.

https://docs.google.com/document/u/...voMf2ZSipT6CpKpnZW6st-DopuGJaZRQRA4EIQcGu/pub enjoy! The build+my thoughts on it are substantially too long for the forum, but these are the kind of stats I get stepping into reaper with only long-term buffs on a second lifer with 50 RP.

image.png

Let me know if you have any feedback, questions, or suggestions! As you can probably tell from the 7 pages of math on LGS, I'm looking to improve this as much as possible, so any and all feedback is welcome.

Lazuli

Grood write up! I especially like the explanations you give of why things work. I have no experience in tanks, so I can't give any suggestions. But my parter and I have been thinking about making a tank, because they always seem to be the hardest gap to fill in pug raids.

This would give us a good starting point, thank you.

seph1roth5

I'll have to try this out sometime, I love paly tank (in a static group). Is emblem of elemental evil that good though? Seems like even if it weren't giving a negative level it'd be a meh trinket.

PraetorPlato

I'll have to try this out sometime, I love paly tank (in a static group). Is emblem of elemental evil that good though? Seems like even if it weren't giving a negative level it'd be a meh trinket.
Yes—both profane HP and qual con are must-have stats, and getting 2 on one item is a very good deal. If you read through the LGS calcs, you'll see how much of the gearset design hinges on fitting profane HP, qual con, insightful sheltering, and a few other hard to find bonuses slot-efficiently into the items not covered by sets.

Also, the negative level is quite minimal.

Last edited:

Kyrr

This is the build I've been playing on my second-favorite character for a while, and have retooled into a tank for the LD first life raid challenge. It's a pally tank aimed at pushing skulls in raids on a first lifer and making r10 questing smooth and easy.

https://docs.google.com/document/u/...voMf2ZSipT6CpKpnZW6st-DopuGJaZRQRA4EIQcGu/pub enjoy! The build+my thoughts on it are substantially too long for the forum, but these are the kind of stats I get stepping into reaper with only long-term buffs on a second lifer with 50 RP.

image.png

Let me know if you have any feedback, questions, or suggestions! As you can probably tell from the 7 pages of math on LGS, I'm looking to improve this as much as possible, so any and all feedback is welcome.
Vouch for this player. His build is amazing and this individual is an amazing player.

Really good write up. Thanks for the helpful info!

In your opinion, is it viable to build for armor class on a tank for the 1st life challenge or is that one of the things you wouldn't suggest without past lives?

PraetorPlato

Really good write up. Thanks for the helpful info!

In your opinion, is it viable to build for armor class on a tank for the 1st life challenge or is that one of the things you wouldn't suggest without past lives?
I think armor class on a tank for raiding is meh in general, because the big thing you have to worry about (especially while understatted) is worst-case scenarios. Unless you can hit 70+% miss chance, which you aren't on a first life against purple names, you're not really meaningfully changing the chance you get swatted 3 or 4 times in a row at some point and end up dying, and as you try to push higher difficulties, you'll be limited by getting 1- or 2- shot. Can be helpful for healers, though.

I dont Like gimps

I think armor class on a tank for raiding is meh in general, because the big thing you have to worry about (especially while understatted) is worst-case scenarios. Unless you can hit 70+% miss chance, which you aren't on a first life against purple names, you're not really meaningfully changing the chance you get swatted 3 or 4 times in a row at some point and end up dying, and as you try to push higher difficulties, you'll be limited by getting 1- or 2- shot. Can be helpful for healers, though.
iirc AC is even useless vs some raid bosses above LH? I remember reading that LOB doesnt really care if your AC is 600+

PraetorPlato

Still held up for r5 pn on the stripped-down version! Died a couple of times over 4 or 5 runs, once to an acid circle post-Earthgrab, once to a curse that I didn't strip in time, and once to being knocked down by Rudus with Zulus on me. All avoidable with cleaner play :) r5 Rudus hurts; bubbles are an awesome tool.

image.png

Fun screenshot with some party buffs, no RP, raid gear, tomes, or past lives.