Make available ToEE buff altars and buff balls all over any quest in DDO

Zvdegor

Melee Artificer Freak
I really like those little buffs in ToEE or the buff balls (like quad damage, haste boost, invincibility, invisibility,etc...) in cannith challenges.
It would be nice to have them as semi-rare drops in any quests all over in DDO.
I believe it would bring new fun into the game and wont break the game.
Maybe SSG could expand the list of these buffs can be found at those altars and buffballs.

Opinions?

Upvote 1

The Blonde

Catalogues Bugs
Mana balls for casters also POWER CREEP than?
Anything that ups the player's power while not also upping the difficulty by an even amount is by definition power creep. Mana balls were introduced due to reaper's increased difficulty, so do not fall under this category.

Zvdegor

Melee Artificer Freak
Anything that ups the player's power while not also upping the difficulty by an even amount is by definition power creep. Mana balls were introduced due to reaper's increased difficulty, so do not fall under this category.
What if mobs also can take these? :)

woq

Seems more fit for an event where they could spawn everywhere, but maybe not as fulltime thing. They feel more like arcade modifiers than D&D staples to me.

The more I think about it the more it seems like a fun event they could add to rotation or pile in on an existing event to spice it up. Something like Winds of Corellon hit Eberron, causing all these anomalies. Or whatever, someone smarter than me could work the deets and lore but it would definitely make for something different.

Zvdegor

Melee Artificer Freak
Seems more fit for an event where they could spawn everywhere, but maybe not as fulltime thing. They feel more like arcade modifiers than D&D staples to me.

The more I think about it the more it seems like a fun event they could add to rotation or pile in on an existing event to spice it up. Something like Winds of Corellon hit Eberron, causing all these anomalies. Or whatever, someone smarter than me could work the deets and lore but it would definitely make for something different.
Also an option and like your idea. Or maybe a mini quest pack like the Extreme Challenege curse runs. 3-5 quests for this kind of fun.

saekee

long live ROGUE
they are fun but it would be too much power creep. I would be ok with the buffs enduring for a bit outside ToEE though

woq

Imagine a new raid pack that had a buff mechanic system like ToEEs that played some relevant-but-not-mandatory part to the mechanics :O There's so many ways you could go from there. Before some complex boss there'd be an optional that gives a random buff to x players that depending on what it is you'll give it to different folks in the party to make the best use of in the big encounter etc etc, and some enemies/stationary objects could degrade the buffs that you gotta cc/finish/complete puzzle to stop the degradation..

Well, dunno. Maybe there could be something there

l_remmie

Would be fun but probably invite to many random possibilities that break quests if used in regulat play.

There is some more design space with those orbs though. Only mana orbs is silly as it is. They should add more different ones. Small buffs that last like 15-30 seconds nothing more.

PurpleSerpent

Monster Hunter of Moderate Renown
I really like those little buffs in ToEE or the buff balls (like quad damage, haste boost, invincibility, invisibility,etc...) in cannith challenges.
It would be nice to have them as semi-rare drops in any quests all over in DDO.
I believe it would bring new fun into the game and wont break the game.
Maybe SSG could expand the list of these buffs can be found at those altars and buffballs.

Opinions?
I do have to question if having an item that grants full-up invulnerability for 30 seconds spawn randomly in any quest is a good idea...

To be clear here, I find the ToEE altars and Cannith buff balls fun additions to the content they're in, but that content is built around including them. Putting them elsewhere in the game - especially the buff balls - would cause balance issues.

(Also, Hate Magnet sucks on a non-tank character. Imagine a healer in a raid or Reaper group stepping on one of those by mistake and pulling every monster within render distance. Especially on Reaper, where I'm pretty sure every Reaper in the whole quest would suddenly be able to see them.)