Massive source of Lag in Monster Manual

Ahpuch

Ok, I don't actually know if there is any lag in the Monster Manual but ya gotta write a headline that brings in the eyeballs. I have seen some "information-void speculation" and want to add some specualtion of my own.

But I was thinking about the MM bug for characters that transfered servers and wondering what impact the lack of fix might have beyond how it affects players. Obviously, I don't know how the MM code is written but clearly when a monster dies 2 counts get updated. One count is on the character and the other is an account(server) wide count shared by all the characters on that server. When the char is transfered over, it is this second counter that seems to get broken. So what is happening when a monster dies and the game tries to update that counter? That account counter is on another server and likely not accessible to the game instance. Often in coding the correct code is quite efficient but failures can be costly (exception stacks are more expensive than simple math).

So if it can't update that account value does it try to update data that doesn't exist? Does it throw an exception and spam info to an ignored log? This could possibly be a performance issue. Since SSG hasn't fixed the MM problem we don't know the impact but perhaps they should try to look at this problem to make sure that servers like Orien are not being hit extra hard by all the broken Monster Manuals throwing exceptions left and right. At least if they don't want to fix this for the players maybe they will do it for the poor servers.

PersonMan

Obviously it has to be more complicated than this or we would already be at a solution:

One would think that the character transferred would have its character MM subtracted from the account total on server A and then added to account total on server B.
Assuming it is designed to allow for it (and it probably isn't), it should just put Server A behind on its next account unlocks and then unlock w/e on Server B.

I think there is not enough value in the MM that any person would "abuse" this particular thing at 2495pts per server transfer.

Synalon

I think what's meant to happen is the account rewards are for the server on which they were earned, and do not carry over to the new server on transfer. So you have to start again from scratch on that server. This is how the non-bugged entries work for me after transferring. The bugged ones actually do count the number and type of enemies slain, from scratch, but the account rewards are already marked as claimed and cannot be re-earned, even as the slayer/hunter bars increase.