Melfs Acid arrow is overtuned (Spawn of Whisperdoom)

Guntango

It looks like in Update 58 the spell Melf's Acid Arrow was changed from its original formula (2d4 + 1 per 2 caster levels per tic) to an updated one (1d6 every 2 caster levels). For the monsters in question, such as Whisperdoom's Daughter at a base CR17 on elite/reaper, this means that the damage went from (2d4 + ( 1 * .5 * 17 ) ) = ((2 * 2.5 ) + (8.5)) = 13.5 average damage per tic to (1d6 * .5 * 17) = (3.5 * 8.5) = 29.75 average damage per tic, or 220% stronger.

I've adjusted the spell such that monsters will now cast Melf's with its old scaling. I've also fixed a bug with the player-side scaling - the intended value was meant to be 1d6 per caster level, not 1d6 per 2 caster levels. These fixes will be in an upcoming patch. Thank you!
You are wise and kind. Thank you.

Chai

No witty response to somehow backtrack or cover your comments on being completely uninformed and argumentative for no reason?

Shocked.
I was on the losing side.

Not the wrong one.

Go enjoy some mindlessly easy R1. We will discuss this again when the same lot of people are demanding an R11-R20 because R1-R10 are "too easy." This already happens twice a year so it shouldn't be long now.

The Narc

Not the wrong one.

Go enjoy some mindlessly easy R1. We will discuss this again when the same lot of people are demanding an R11-R20 because R1-R10 are "too easy." This already happens twice a year so it shouldn't be long now.
No comment!

Guntango

Not the wrong one.

Let’s just file this under 100% right and oblivious, not at all wrong.

rabidfox

The People's Champion
It looks like in Update 58 the spell Melf's Acid Arrow was changed from its original formula (2d4 + 1 per 2 caster levels per tic) to an updated one (1d6 every 2 caster levels). For the monsters in question, such as Whisperdoom's Daughter at a base CR17 on elite/reaper, this means that the damage went from (2d4 + ( 1 * .5 * 17 ) ) = ((2 * 2.5 ) + (8.5)) = 13.5 average damage per tic to (1d6 * .5 * 17) = (3.5 * 8.5) = 29.75 average damage per tic, or 220% stronger.

I've adjusted the spell such that monsters will now cast Melf's with its old scaling. I've also fixed a bug with the player-side scaling - the intended value was meant to be 1d6 per caster level, not 1d6 per 2 caster levels. These fixes will be in an upcoming patch. Thank you!
Awesome. Thx. =)

The Narc

Kudos to this as well!!

I think this is the second time I myself have laid out Kudos to a dev in the last month, if this starts to be a trend i am in danger of actually starting to believe there is a culture change in progress and i will have to change my cynical behaviours.

rabidfox

The People's Champion
There's 9 difficulties above r1 that a person can do in heroics if one wants to up the challenge. And if you find r10 whisperdoom too easy, then you too can ask for more challenge on the top end. I personally believe that existing difficulties shouldn't be ramped up for existing/new players as it makes it harder for them to catch up on past lives/etc.. I also think new harder difficulty settings (like event champs, prior season HC champs, etc.) should be added for those who want more challenge via toggles on the instance window; then no one is forced to struggle more unless they opt in.

Chai

There's 9 difficulties above r1 that a person can do in heroics if one wants to up the challenge. And if you find r10 whisperdoom too easy, then you too can ask for more challenge on the top end. I personally believe that existing difficulties shouldn't be ramped up for existing/new players as it makes it harder for them to catch up on past lives/etc.. I also think new harder difficulty settings (like event champs, prior season HC champs, etc.) should be added for those who want more challenge via toggles on the instance window; then no one is forced to struggle more unless they opt in.
This is exactly what I am referring to.

"Existing difficulties shouldnt be ramped up" as a blanket statement is a great recipe for power creep to trivialize quests. Since the dev agrees with your position, this quest will now be ramped down to 2007 levels of mob challenge, but we have 2023 levels of character power.

This is precisely what causes the "push" crowd to rant that the game isnt challenging enough - AKA "elite is too easy" because people fought tooth and nail against ramping up elite, necessitated reaper, and by now, there have been several "R10 is too easy" threads, where people are asking for R11 - R20.

Being unwilling to adjust the current game challenge hierarchy upward as character power increases is the issue. Its why adding 10 more difficulty settings to the previous C,N,H,E hierarchy was needed. This divides the player base up even more. It wasnt bad enough that in heroics we have to group in a 4 level range (difference of 3 levels between highest and lowest) and then divide that up between 4 different settings, so now we need 14 settings, for an even lesser headcount populace to be divided amongst.

No, we don't need a series of toggles for difficulty setting that looks like an old school pilot's dashboard. We need the same/similar ramp up in challenge amongst the current difficulty settings as we have ramp up in character power. This avoids turning settings where (dev words here) "the DM is actively trying to kill your character" into a trivialized zombie-esque mindless grind - to which the ForumDDO™ response will be to demand more chllenge, and more reward (aka even more power creep) /rinse repeat ad nauseum ad infinatum.

I was on the losing side, but I sure as heck aint on the wrong one.

Kimbere

"Existing difficulties shouldnt be ramped up" as a blanket statement is a great recipe for power creep to trivialize quests. Since the dev agrees with your position, this quest will now be ramped down to 2007 levels of mob challenge, but we have 2023 levels of character power.
This is incorrect.

Reaper difficulty did not exist in DDO in 2007. It was added in 2017.

Additionally, in 2021 SSG did a global stat squish and difficulty scaling adjustment to account for modern power levels.

So technically, the quest is being ramped down to 2021 levels of challenge. It's nowhere near as much of a regression as you are claiming.

I'm generally in the "have you tried a lower difficulty?" camp, but in this I don't see the problem.

If you want to claim that running heroic Spawn of Whisperdoom on R10 is trivial, I suspect you would be in a very, very tiny minority.

The more likely explanation is that you're being intentionally disingenuous.

Last edited:

Drunken.dx

Tonquin to the rescue!

Thankies!
Not the wrong one.
I beg to differ, with R1 becoming "norm" making it undoable to "casuals" sends them a message they are unwanted.

Chai

I beg to differ, with R1 becoming "norm" making it undoable to "casuals" sends them a message they are unwanted.
R1 only became the norm because of the mentality that we can nevAr evAr raise the elite difficulty, even when the power creep increases over the years. This is how it becomes the expectation that R1 is the setting for "casuals."

Drunken.dx

R1 only became the norm because of the mentality that we can nevAr evAr raise the elite difficulty, even when the power creep increases over the years. This is how it becomes the expectation that R1 is the setting for "casuals."
NOPE

R1 is norm because it gives biggest XP bonus

The Narc

NOPE

R1 is norm because it gives biggest XP bonus
What people need to ask is where does Chai play his permadeath and “WHY” is he upset about this power creep that apparently is making quests easier than they were 3, 5, 10 years ago??

Chai

This is incorrect.

Reaper difficulty did not exist in DDO in 2007. It was added in 2017.

Additionally, in 2021 SSG did a global stat squish and difficulty scaling adjustment to account for modern power levels.

So technically, the quest is being ramped down to 2021 levels of challenge. It's nowhere near as much of a regression as you are claiming.

I'm generally in the "have you tried a lower difficulty?" camp, but in this I don't see the problem.

If you want to claim that running heroic Spawn of Whisperdoom on R10 is trivial, I suspect you would be in a very, very tiny minority.

The more likely explanation is that you're being intentionally disingenuous.
When reading the entire quoted post, you will see that I outlined how the complaints of "elite is too easy" resulted in reaper in the first place. Elite only became too easy after players were unwilling to see elite and maybe hard settings increase in challenge over the time that power creep also increases.

It is the exact same regression I am claiming. The spell damage from melfs will in fact, regress to 2007 levels (how it used to scale pre change). Characters will in fact, still be running it with 2023 levels of power creep.

In future conversations, when the venn diagram shows some of the same folks claiming R10 is too easy we can all sit back and have a nice sensible chuckle about the reasons why. We will all them lol again about how we all feel like we've been here before, which is exactly right, because it happened when E and EE were made trivial by power creep using the same recipe of "game challenge in same difficulty cannot ever be increased no matter how much the power has crept over time."

Nokowi

I'm not involved with the specifics of this change, but making the game easier over time while taking away the best rewards per time that the most knowledgeable players were allowed to use isn't going to create interesting gameplay.

You actually want to maintain challenge while making rewards accumulation faster for catch-up purposes, which is the opposite of the strategy in play. The players with the most power always get to accumulate rewards the easiest before loopholes are closed. They should get the rewards first, but not faster than those after the loopholes are closed.