Monk stances attacks

Fisto Mk I

i don't think this thread is about your acomplishes.

Sure. You can quote any words where i say about it? No? Well, i think so... ;)

But to bring some perspective about how a class was never updated,

It's clearly wrong. I personally see many updates to class, last time in U57, where NS tree gain T5 Self Defense - Grants +5 Magical Resistance Rating, MRR Cap and a +25% Competence bonus to Hit Points.
Very good change! 8)
or being victim of power creep. Not about items, but about a class.

It's partially correct. But last time when class was nerfed from the orbit it was because one overperformed item - Duality. So items matters! ;)

But well done in being a super duper monk shury stuff. Grats o/
Don't know if i'm super-duper but tnx anyway, lol. :D

Fisto Mk I

responses to quotes in bold with a > in front
Ok.
i pointed out that if it is not Monk20 then it is not Monk.

Yea? Serious?! Well, then all you have to do is get me and the others to agree with your homebrew definition. It will be interesting to look at it. ;)

apparently not.

Surely it is.

Нет? Нет?! Не нет, а да! :D
Firm, bold and confident "да", my russian friend! As say before, i disagree with your self-limitation. Specifically, when you try apply it to me. ;)

the pen and paper concept limits monks to monk weapons, and they are designed as a mage killer frontline combatant that gets hacked and beat on with swords and hammers and picks and such. If pnp was followed they would take vastly less damage than barbarians and fighters and would be nearly totally immune to spell damage.

DDO is not PnP, your sentence irrelevant. If you wanna PnP - go to play table games with your friends.

niche stuff for niche builds. getting your stats over 80 is already too high and contributes to power creep bloat that the developers need to do something about.

Do you call top-builds niche? Pal, you're... well... you're gravely mistakes! :D

no, it does not, in fact it being a strictly throwing "monk" only makes it fail harder.

Yes, it do. You are just a victim of your tunnel-vision and unwillingness to understand the opponent's point of view.

Khurse

The dev team is fairly uninterested in Monk, for whatever reason, whether it be because their stats show not enough people play them, or because they actually hate them. Best Handwrap user (by far) is a race that actually does less damage if they're Monk vs Fighter/Barb because of animation timing. Best staff user is Rogue, best tactic user is fighter.
Wisdom (for so many Monk specific abilities) is locked into the Caster tree for Reaper points. Not an issue when you have 50+, but getting to that point it's kind of a pain.
Monk's are perfectly capable (which I think is the Dev defense) they're just ..mediocre at everything, and not even in a "jack of all trades" way, as there are options that deal considerably more DPS and are better at the "jack of all trades" role.

Levina

Limiting a class to just one play-style/weapon choice is not really productive.
Ok sure, so the Paladin Sacred Fist definitely is not an Unarmed Melee class in your book. Got it. I'll watch for those that use shurikens.
If Fisto found a way to make a throwing monk viable and it is enjoyable to him, then who are we to say that its "not a monk".
It is completely irrelevant to the function of the class as being discussed in this thread, and is thus a complete waste of time and effort and space and is little better than confetti trying to drown out the point.
That is a very closed view on the class. Would you tell a fighter that he has to be sword and board or he is not a fighter? No.. Everyone has their own play-style for the class, so lets let them play how they want.
Again, i'll be watching for the Paladin Sacred Fists that are spec'd as a Healer and do not fight at all.
If the thought process is that only a pure monk can be a monk, I guess I am out too.
Don't let the door hit you on the way out and next time reconsider before assisting thread spam to derail the topic.
Rerolled my pure monk to a 14 fighter/6 monk. Why? I noticed the stunning DCs were lacking a bit and thought that having some extra feats invested into tactics would help.
but according to you a 14 fighter 6 monk would use Phantasmal Killer wands or something else not specific to the build, else your argument above was pure harassment.
I miss out on the capstone, but gaining something like +25 to my tactics. The damage also keeps up due to Kensei synergizing well with handwraps. Yes, I still use handwraps, yes, I have all the forms, I run in grandmaster of flowers too. And yes, I still consider the character a monk.
You could have saved all of us a great deal of time and energy by *not* requiring us to read through your inner thoughts that have little to no value on a discussion forum. Instead, get some traction as to where the discussion is and if you have something valuable to add then do so.

Levina

The dev team is fairly uninterested in Monk, for whatever reason, whether it be because their stats show not enough people play them, or because they actually hate them. Best Handwrap user (by far) is a race that actually does less damage if they're Monk vs Fighter/Barb because of animation timing. Best staff user is Rogue, best tactic user is fighter.
Wisdom (for so many Monk specific abilities) is locked into the Caster tree for Reaper points. Not an issue when you have 50+, but getting to that point it's kind of a pain.
Monk's are perfectly capable (which I think is the Dev defense) they're just ..mediocre at everything, and not even in a "jack of all trades" way, as there are options that deal considerably more DPS and are better at the "jack of all trades" role.

to those out there in the world that revere the Shaolin and the accomplishments of martial artists like Bruce Lee the disparaging maltreatment and completely half-hearted quasi-attempt to make Monk even plausibly worth spending time and energy on, the developer team here has been unusually cruel.

i have proposed many edits to the class over the years and it has caused flame wars that always end up with "just roll a fighter14/monk6 and be done with it, Monk20 is a waste of everything" and the dev team seems to firmly agree to the extent that Monk itself is nothing more than a joke character that people might have extra challenge in trying to use. My additions to this thread, though hated by those that want to keep Unarmed Fighting Monk in the trash bin as a "massive waste of time" class and do everything in their power to keep it that way, were an effort to once more shine light on a problem that needs solving that has been blatantly ignored for years.

As for the rest of the discussion, you folks enjoy. I am unfollowing this thread so that your irrationality spam no longer causes alerts.

Tilomere

With drifting lotus + Mirana + NiS helpless, falconry helpless, artifact helpless, feat helpless, base helpless, ED helpless, and HOrc helpless, monks should be able to AoE instakill packs. HO+PA +NiS sneak for base damage, NiS melee power boost. You can level into it as the standard dark staff henshin.

It's also in balance with swapping to an 18/1/1 kensai with +100 MP, but -60% helpless and uncapped DS, that also moves at base movement speed so loses some combat time.

In terms of risk/reward, that would put them at a riskier melee in balance.

Last edited:

Tilomere

Hmm, due to magic and proc damage nerf, I'm not actually sure that works anymore, since Mirana is non-standard damage type. So many bugs stacked on top of hidden and convoluted balance systems its hard to say anything works or doesn't work.