Monster Expertise - Seeing Monster's HP, doesn't work in Legendary Chronoscope?

WielderofGigantus

So I did Legendary Chronoscope for the first time ever last night. And I noticed during the final fight that I could not see the Abishai Brothers' nor the Conjoined Abishai's hit points even though I have Abishai Expertise and can normally see their hit points on the Heroic and Epic versions of Chronoscope.

I know this isn't something new for Legendary, because I've had no problems seeing hit points on regular Legendary quests and in Legendary Shroud.

So is Legendary Chronoscope different from other content in that they don't allow you to see the monster's hit points?

The Blonde

Catalogues Bugs
Yeah, it's not very intuitive.

For the 5 colored Abishai, you don't actually "kill them" (they run away to combine before they die), and the rule is that if you don't straight up kill something (but rather just defeat it), it doesn't get added to the Monster Manual (and as such you don't get to see its HP, even if you have Mastery). So that is WAI.

For the Conjoined Abishai Devastator, you should be able to see its HP normally. If you can't, then that's a bug (I'm fairly certain I can see its HP normally on Heroic/Epic, not sure about Leg, if someone else can confirm that'd be nice, but very few people run Leg Chrono so maybe it just slipped through the cracks).

WielderofGigantus

For the 5 colored Abishai, you don't actually "kill them" (they run away to combine before they die), and the rule is that if you don't straight up kill something (but rather just defeat it), it doesn't get added to the Monster Manual (and as such you don't get to see its HP, even if you have Mastery). So that is WAI.

For the Conjoined Abishai Devastator, you should be able to see its HP normally. If you can't, then that's a bug (I'm fairly certain I can see its HP normally on Heroic/Epic, not sure about Leg, if someone else can confirm that'd be nice, but very few people run Leg Chrono so maybe it just slipped through the cracks).
I've never heard of that "rule" before and it appears to not be the case, as I just ran Chronoscope on Epic Elite and I definitely saw the Abishai Brothers' hit points and the Conjoined Abishai's hit points (which were 1.1 million).

The Blonde

Catalogues Bugs
Paging Monster Manual expert @PurpleSerpent

For the Conjoined Abishai, as I said, his HP should be viewable; if not it's a bug.
For the 5 abishai, I know for a fact that if you don't kill something it doesn't get an MM entry. But I don't recall with certainty if you can view the exact HP of things that don't have an MM entry, if you have Mastery over their race. I think you can't see their HP (because if I recall correctly, to be able to view the HP of something, it has to be in the MM). But I might be wrong. Purple can clear all this up for us.

As a side note however, there's a bug where sometimes you can view the HP of things whose HP you're not supposed to be able to view (this usually happens if you have targeted something whose HP you can view as intended, and then switch to something whose HP you shouldn't be able to view, but you end up seeing it regardless).

Last edited:
Reactions: DBZ

Misadventure

Killing everybody on Hardcore with pleasure.

You can see their HP on epic, there's no reason why you cannot see their HP on legendary, so it isnt WAI, its an oversight.

PurpleSerpent

Monster Hunter of Moderate Renown
Paging Monster Manual expert @PurpleSerpent

For the Conjoined Abishai, as I said, his HP should be viewable; if not it's a bug.
For the 5 abishai, I know for a fact that if you don't kill something it doesn't get an MM entry. But I don't recall with certainty if you can view the exact HP of things that don't have an MM entry, if you have Mastery over their race. I think you can't see their HP (because if I recall correctly, to be able to view the HP of something, it has to be in the MM). But I might be wrong. Purple can clear all this up for us.

As a side note however, there's a bug where sometimes you can view the HP of things whose HP you're not supposed to be able to view (this usually happens if you have targeted something whose HP you can view as intended, and then switch to something whose HP you shouldn't be able to view, but you end up seeing it regardless).
Ah, well, this is an interesting one! Generally speaking, once you unlock the HP view reward from a particular Monster Manual entry, you should be able to see the HP of any monster that belongs to that race (or sub-race), whether or not you can actually kill that monster. The same, interestingly, also applies to active NPCs of that race - that is, any NPC coded with a CR. (Some of these NPCs can move around and attack things, but others are simply coded using the Monster AI because the devs need them to behave in a particular way that isn't included in the standard list of NPC behaviours.)

Taking the Chronoscope as an example, therefore, on Heroic and Epic difficulties, it is possible to see the HP counts of all five of the Abishai Henchmen and the Conjoined Devastator, as well as Nelle's Warforged bodyguard Retcon (who is typed as an active NPC largely, I believe, because he needs to be under the effect of an Otto's Dance spell while he's in the Phoenix Tavern) and the Warforged, Elven and Drow Stormreach Adventurers scattered around the tavern and the Marketplace (I'm not sure why these are coded as active NPCs - maybe because they need to be able to switch between "knocked out" and "awake" states?)

That's how things are supposed to work. In practice, it doesn't always go like that. A lot of monsters which can't have MM entries, and a huge number of valid active NPCs, don't have the extra bit of code added to their data files which activates the Monster Manual HP view. I don't have an exact list of these, largely because it's so difficult to check.

You should be able to see the HP of the five abishai in Legendary Chronoscope, but they haven't been given the correct code. It's worth noting that you should also be able to see the HP counts of Nelle Gann, the Stormreach City Guards, and the Human and Dwarven Stormreach Adventurers, but those are also missing (this applies to all three difficulties, not just Legendary.) The Conjoined Abishai Devastator, meanwhile, is missing from the MM entirely on Legendary difficulty, which explains why @WielderofGigantus can't see its HP count.

Here's a quick overall summary, then.
  • If a monster has an MM entry, you'll be able to see its HP (assuming you've unlocked it for that monster.)
  • If a monster doesn't have an MM entry but should, you won't be able to see its HP count. (If you're checking, this is a handy indicator that the monster is missing its entry.)
  • Active NPCs and monsters ineligible for an MM entry should have a visible HP count, but that's no guarantee that they actually will.

The Blonde

Catalogues Bugs
Ah, well, this is an interesting one! Generally speaking, once you unlock the HP view reward from a particular Monster Manual entry, you should be able to see the HP of any monster that belongs to that race (or sub-race), whether or not you can actually kill that monster. The same, interestingly, also applies to active NPCs of that race - that is, any NPC coded with a CR. (Some of these NPCs can move around and attack things, but others are simply coded using the Monster AI because the devs need them to behave in a particular way that isn't included in the standard list of NPC behaviours.)

Taking the Chronoscope as an example, therefore, on Heroic and Epic difficulties, it is possible to see the HP counts of all five of the Abishai Henchmen and the Conjoined Devastator, as well as Nelle's Warforged bodyguard Retcon (who is typed as an active NPC largely, I believe, because he needs to be under the effect of an Otto's Dance spell while he's in the Phoenix Tavern) and the Warforged, Elven and Drow Stormreach Adventurers scattered around the tavern and the Marketplace (I'm not sure why these are coded as active NPCs - maybe because they need to be able to switch between "knocked out" and "awake" states?)

That's how things are supposed to work. In practice, it doesn't always go like that. A lot of monsters which can't have MM entries, and a huge number of valid active NPCs, don't have the extra bit of code added to their data files which activates the Monster Manual HP view. I don't have an exact list of these, largely because it's so difficult to check.

You should be able to see the HP of the five abishai in Legendary Chronoscope, but they haven't been given the correct code. It's worth noting that you should also be able to see the HP counts of Nelle Gann, the Stormreach City Guards, and the Human and Dwarven Stormreach Adventurers, but those are also missing (this applies to all three difficulties, not just Legendary.) The Conjoined Abishai Devastator, meanwhile, is missing from the MM entirely on Legendary difficulty, which explains why @WielderofGigantus can't see its HP count.

Here's a quick overall summary, then.
  • If a monster has an MM entry, you'll be able to see its HP (assuming you've unlocked it for that monster.)
  • If a monster doesn't have an MM entry but should, you won't be able to see its HP count. (If you're checking, this is a handy indicator that the monster is missing its entry.)
  • Active NPCs and monsters ineligible for an MM entry should have a visible HP count, but that's no guarantee that they actually will.
Thank you for clearing things up!