More Active Gameplay

Nokowi

I think we can see from the tumble responses that people are not just looking for run speed through content but that players also want interactive gameplay. Quite a bit of this was taken out prior to the introduction of reaper, most likely because it is easier it is easier to manage the SSG monetization model when it is buying the latest thing and extensive bug testing that makes you a good player.

Here is one of my pen and paper 3.5 characters for design inspiration...

Halfling Thrower: Fighter, Monk, Rogue, Swordsage
Prestige Class: Master Thrower
Flaws: Overweight (-1AC), Squishy (-1 HP/level).

In 3.5, big weapon fighter-types get up to four attacks per round and a fifth attack if hasted. Two-weapon fighters can get up to eight attacks per round plus one for haste. The master thrower prestige class has options, among them are palm throw which lets them throw two daggers/shuriken per attack, but only one of the pair gets sneak attack damage. Master throwers can also make ranged touch attacks but they lose all strength damage. Add in a sequence of 3 feats to get power attack damage on thrown weapons.

Now we have a machine gun build with a potential 18 daggers thrown per round. Attacks are made as touch attacks and we get power attack damage on each attack. Does enough damage to clear content: check.

Now it's time for some fun. We take two feats, and we can climb onto opponents if we start our turn next to them. Opponents have a 50% chance of hitting the monster if we are on their back. We have an ability in Swordsage to bump our initiative by 20 so we can delay our turn, move up to the opponent, bump our initiative, and climb on their back. Swordsage also has maneuvers to deflect attacks onto the nearest opponent. Nothing but laughs when enemies try to kill the halfling and polar ray or disintegrate their own allies.

Other cool abilities: Stance where each attack moves you 5' closer to the enemy you are attacking. Stance where each criticals adds cumulatively to the to hit and damage bonus. Stance to generate 50% miss chance while on an opponent.

Returning Weapon: This happens only once per round for thrown weapons so 18 returning daggers are needed!

DDO implementation: Maneuvers can be reactive abilities: you have 1-2 seconds to hit a button and deflect an attack to an adjacent enemy. We are actively switching between stances - one to full attack and move towards an enemy, one to critical fish, and a defensive stance while on an enemies back to get that 50% chance of things hitting the enemy instead of us.

Epicification:
Did I mention triple-throw daggers?
An epic weapon ability where one dagger splits into 3 daggers, but we only can do this once per round per epic returning dagger.

Did I mention Bloodstorm blade prestige class where thrown weapons return as a free action?
Now we need two triple throw daggers for 54 attacks per round.

Did I mention Swordsage has a high level ability to gain another full attack for 108 attacks in a round?

Balance: Many enemies have DR 5 or 10 or 15 which cuts out the damage ability of this build. At this point you are either trying to debilitate the enemy with daggers that curse or weaken (but not damage) the enemy, or you are crit fishing to try and build up enough damage.

Archaic

How about we just have a single click feint feat that makes a bluff check resulting in a simultaneous sneak attack if successful? With cooldown of course.

Nokowi

This is a very good D&D type solution, but SSG has basically designed active play out of their game. I can't imagine anyone putting sneak attack into their build and not having near 100% uptime on it. Or waiting for a bluff check to get sneak attack. Not needing to be hidden to assassinate, caster having immunity bypass, etc. You can certainly make builds without 100% uptime but "good" players are those that use build choices rather than active gampelay mechanics. The result is typically that the game is designed around managing those 100% uptime choices and without promoting what makes gameplay interesting.

We have individuals who will care about gameplay, but the game itself is never going to be designed around interesting gameplay. The boat sailed when agro management was trimmed from the design budget.