Multiclass that can throw potent DoTs?

saekee

long live ROGUE
Hi, I never play spellcasters. Am thinking of a sneaky toon that can spam DoTs on red nameds. So need some class split that allows me to do this—maybe some class that can do great DoTs with 12 or 15 levels so that I can do the rest for my sneak stuff.

Any suggestions would be appreciated—including: “Ain’t happening” (spits tobacco). Totally clueless about this, even destinies and specific gear.

Ghoste was the first of the great stealth players and he did it with a caster build. I am looking at using 12 AP in the Feydark tree. Key issue for has been red named fights, usually at the end of a quest.

Dielzen

A Two-level dip into Stormsinger gives you an Enhancement in both the Spellsinger and Stormsinger trees that grants a DoT

So for two levels of Stormsinger and two red gems (or w/e) you can do a Cold DoT (Niac's) and a Sonic DoT (Reverberate)

Now, as to the other part of it....I highly doubt it's worth casting these on a melee character and losing all that melee deeps.

DBZ

If tilomeres still around he can def build you what your looking for

Check some of his builds on the old forums Shiradi wiz ek or inquis 15 wiz 5 rogue something like that what your looking for

With fan of knives n stuff or the pm can stack dots including arcane pulse and lgs debuffing with some incorp or other boosts

Last edited:

saekee

long live ROGUE
A Two-level dip into Stormsinger gives you an Enhancement in both the Spellsinger and Stormsinger trees that grants a DoT

So for two levels of Stormsinger and two red gems (or w/e) you can do a Cold DoT (Niac's) and a Sonic DoT (Reverberate)

Now, as to the other part of it....I highly doubt it's worth casting these on a melee character and losing all that melee deeps.
great suggestion. It won't be a melee character--just one sneaking around. Looks like 20 bard could be a great version.

So build up glaciation spellpower and resonance. With fascinate I can slip around stuff too, very interesting--never did the bard stealth toon but there is great synergy as they get hs/ms as a class skill. Maybe I could move around and charm stuff, cause some infighting...I like it.

FVSHasBeenEvenMoreGutted

one idea i have, arcane pulse is an ED feat that deals non scaling damage and can stack 2 more times if you take magus ED. i think this is good as it works well with FDI (magus being illusion tree and force damage), and its a feat so your class doesn't matter. arcane pulze also has a 3 second cooldown, so it takes 21 seconds to stack it on a boss (about the same time as other DoTs, but the damage ramps up faster). having never pressed it I cannot say if the damage is bad, but if all you want is a DoT then this is a good option

Striga

Druids have a lot of obscure DoTs. Blightcaster even gets access to Black Dragon Bolt. Sneaky plant? Sneaky swarm?

Another obscure source of DoTs is the Soul Eater tree. Consume is nice. Burning Blood is bad. Not sure about Warlock spell list and DoTs there. Well, Evard's Tentacles is a heck of a DoT.

Vox

Ya I think bard might be the go, but I would lean more into an 18/1/1 variant and use the dot as supplementary rather than main damage, aggro generation & distraction kind of thing, but this may not be what you are looking for.

18 bard still gets you all the nice utility spells & charms & buffs & healing, and you can go full charisma for spell dc, melee CC & melee damage. I'd look into WC as main tree>swash & spellsinger dips. Facing off vs red names still makes you a potent adversary, when you're not sulking in the shadows.

1/barb + swash runspeed + t5 WC runspeed aura +1/rog w/t1 stealthy, for some zoomie sneaking (but lots of compromises)

Last edited:

Tilomere

17 SF 3 Monk Tabaxi trailblazer

Get Ki Regen + shuriken's +stealth isnstead of healing from:

39+2tome HW
21 Inq Shoot later/armor pen stacks on diplo
12 NiS sneaky shurikens/imbue
7 SaF run fast
1HeM Imbue
Racial: run fast, Ki regen

Feats: water stance Ki regen

Draconic mantle, GMoF ki regen, shiradi strike
SF for healing

Filigree: Universal melee/ranged like dreadkeeper to keep melee power high as well.
Edit: 2 alc if you want to use poison doubling instead of acid, dropping some from HW for poison strip

Last edited:

Haphazard

Druids have decent stealth spells and some decent dots not to mention some decent stealth enhancement tree support.
Wizards obviously have the skill points to help support the skills and a couple of tricks up their sleeves from the EK tree (remember my write-up from a couple of years ago). Arcane tempest is a great late heroic/early epic AOE DOT.
Alchemists make surprising good sneaky casters as they have huge range, unique buffs (speed etc), good skills. Limited dots but lots of AOE.
Sorcerer's don't have a huge amount to recommend them over wizards excepting maybe laying down DOTs a bit faster but I think wizards are better in most regards especially given the improved AM tree.

Obvious ED is Shadowdancer for stealth enhancements but has some other things as well.
Action boosts don't break stealth so Legendary Dreadnought has a few bits and pieces as well.
Primal's carrion & shard swarm good for casters/DOTs/Stealth.

ShadarKai was the obvious go to for Stealth characters. Not as good as it once was but Shadow Phase allows you to open doors without being seen. If you're quick you can hit Shadowphase, open the door which breaks stealth and be back into stealth before the 6 seconds have elapsed.

Whilst not specifically stealth friendly I've always found the Gnome Stun dragonmark fun.

Hap

Last edited:

FuzzyDuck81

Blightcaster is a good bet for DoTs, when in epics primal avatar thorn path for carrion swarm & shard storm, but shadowdancer destiny mantle since the incorp/concealment from that stacks with your swarm form to make you very hard to hit, mix in some magus of the eclipse too & take the discipline feat so you can get a big reduction to threat generation from spells, then go higher tier in whichever destiny you prefer - shadowdancer is likely your best bet as with that high miss chance, the epic moment will have groups of mobs just falling down dead & the greater shadow form from the mantle will give a big boost to your stealth skills too.

Tilomere

I was thinking acid dot. You could add 2 alc in, then NiS would double poison and you could strip it, dropping some HW.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vox

DBZ

Hey til any ideas on how to grind the new removers i'm coming up with spades even 6 boxing 6 accounts won't do it

All i can think of is get more boxes so 60 boxing now thats where it gets complicated for the real grinders

Tilomere

Nothing healthy for the game or you :)

I think Saekee wanted an assassin, the assassin and VKF trees have tons of power for a SWF build, so work really well for draconic dot.

Dex based 5 rogue 15 monk gives assassinate, QP, and Ki bolt all as instakills.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: DBZ

DBZ

We're well beyond the mouth of madness were going through the vortex

You gota love this one

saekee

long live ROGUE
Nothing healthy for the game or you :)

I think Saekee wanted an assassin, the assassin and VKF trees have tons of power for a SWF build, so work really well for draconic dot.

Dex based 5 rogue 15 monk gives assassinate, QP, and Ki bolt all as instakills.
I am studying your awesome ki bolt thread!

That split is interesting too now that monks have assasinate in their tree. My favorite attack right now is using adrenaline strike without breaking stealth after using assassinate.

I have been trying to create a stealth build that can overcome the key issue of stealth play, and that is taking on the massively bloated rednameds. My assassin cannot last toe-to-toe long with them, and I pull every trick in the book
to do it—dodge, hood clickie and feat; using extended range melee bursts from SD; etc. It works up to R6, sometimes higher—if caster boss then spell absorp. So I have been thinking of sneaking through quests then using DoTs on bosses—kite, sneak etc but just stack them up like crazy.

Reactions: DBZ

Haphazard

I am studying your awesome ki bolt thread!

That split is interesting too now that monks have assasinate in their tree. My favorite attack right now is using adrenaline strike without breaking stealth after using assassinate.

I have been trying to create a stealth build that can overcome the key issue of stealth play, and that is taking on the massively bloated rednameds. My assassin cannot last toe-to-toe long with them, and I pull every trick in the book
to do it—dodge, hood clickie and feat; using extended range melee bursts from SD; etc. It works up to R6, sometimes higher—if caster boss then spell absorp. So I have been thinking of sneaking through quests then using DoTs on bosses—kite, sneak etc but just stack them up like crazy.
There are other things that work from stealth - some quite surprising.

Hap

Tilomere

Just make a standard 20 sdk rogue assassin, 41 Ass

Go all melee power, and use shadow dagger 400% scaling since you aren't using it as primary dungeon killing you only need the 10 sec CD for red names. Some shield bashing on orb will add in additional LGS debuffing.

4 dot ticks * (1d6+6/lvl) * 26 lvls * (1+400% MP scaling * 350 MP) * (1 + 600? spell power) * (1 + 60% crit * (1 + 90% crit dmg)) * 1.2 (vacuum) * 1.21 ash
4 * 9.5 * 26 * (1+14) * (1 + 6) * (1 + 1.14) * 1.2 * 1.21 = 322k dot

Last edited:

saekee

long live ROGUE
Just make a pure 20 sdk rogue assassin, standard 41 Ass, 22 VKF (SWF), 13 HW dex

Go all melee power, and use shadow dagger 400% scaling since you aren't using it as primary dungeon killing you only need the 10 sec CD for red names. Some shield bashing on orb will add in additional LGS debuffing.
that is not a DoT though

Tilomere

The 400% scaling shadow dagger itself isn't a dot, but the draconic mantle off of it is, and it is already in the assassin tree at 10 second cooldown.

Since draconic mantle is a 10 second dot, it synchs perfectly, plus although it alters your gearing/mantle/ED usage, it fits within a standard build assassin so you don't need any complicated multi-class.

Last edited: