Myth Drannor - Portal?

Fizban

Most if not all of us have noticd the non-functioning portal in The Grove. Some have stated this will be or thinks it will be the poratl access to Mth Drannor once the expansion pack launches. I hope this is not so:

Myth Drannor is a Forgotten Realms location and in my opinion the portal or more apprpriately the road (path) should lead out of Evening Star to keep it aligned to the lore of D&D altogether. My preference is that SSG should keep the D&D worlds locations, dungeons, and stories aligned to the worlds within D&D lore.

For those that may want to point out the Mists portal in House Jorasco for Ravenloft it is not the same. While the first portal mentioned in D&D lore originated out of Drangonlance the story also alludes that there are several portals in other worlds that bring people to Barovia.

PurpleSerpent

Monster Hunter of Moderate Renown
Most if not all of us have noticd the non-functioning portal in The Grove. Some have stated this will be or thinks it will be the poratl access to Mth Drannor once the expansion pack launches. I hope this is not so:

Myth Drannor is a Forgotten Realms location and in my opinion the portal or more apprpriately the road (path) should lead out of Evening Star to keep it aligned to the lore of D&D altogether. My preference is that SSG should keep the D&D worlds locations, dungeons, and stories aligned to the worlds within D&D lore.

For those that may want to point out the Mists portal in House Jorasco for Ravenloft it is not the same. While the first portal mentioned in D&D lore originated out of Drangonlance the story also alludes that there are several portals in other worlds that bring people to Barovia.
Bear in mind it's not impossible that SSG will do both. I'm of the understanding that Myth Drannor's Heroic version is going to be at a lower level than the quest chain players have to run to gain access to Eveningstar, so it makes sense to have an entrance in Eberron as well, since people on the TR train will want to be able to access their new expansion without having to run another adventure pack first.

PersonMan

Bear in mind it's not impossible that SSG will do both. I'm of the understanding that Myth Drannor's Heroic version is going to be at a lower level than the quest chain players have to run to gain access to Eveningstar, so it makes sense to have an entrance in Eberron as well, since people on the TR train will want to be able to access their new expansion without having to run another adventure pack first.
Exactly, the grove portal is likely just a means to get us to the content which will appropriately be located on the Forgotten Realms map.

Fizban

I know creating a second low level entry point to DDO in The Forgotten Realms may be wishful thinking on my part but it is something I would like/enjoy. SSG up until this point has done a good job at keeping content within most of D&D lore and worlds. I just would prefer they keep that lore intact.

It seems odd/wrong that access to an FR location and content is within another world of D&D, i.e. Eberron.

Dragavon

You are not wrong, but as we can see in the list of wildernesses the Myth Drannor area will be lvl 13.

The quests that take us from Eberron to Forgotten Realms is level 16.

So to get to Myth Drannor at level then players need another way than the normal way to get to Forgotten Realms.

I dont Like gimps

You are not wrong, but as we can see in the list of wildernesses the Myth Drannor area will be lvl 13.

So to get to Myth Drannor at level then players need another way than the normal way to get to Forgotten Realms.
Oh dang I hoped the myth drannor stuff is gonna be 10-11 level 12 and 13 allways feel a bit icky Im not a fan of Necro 3 lol

droid327

I'm hoping that MD connects to ES, so we can finally travel from Stormreach to ES without needing to unlock the Harbor portal each life, especially when your Key is on cooldown

If I recall, there was some contractual obligation between whoever owned Dungeons and Dragons and DDO during the Menace of the Underdark expansion that travel to the Forgotten Realms was supposed to have some level of difficulty, which is why we have a quest chain to get from Eberron to Forgetten Realms, no ability to teleport there using the Teleport spells, and a long cooldown on the Key to Eveningstar. I wonder if this still in place?

PersonMan

I have every reason to expect there will be a path to travel to and from MD in Eveningstar as it is part of Forgotten Realms. If there is still some contractual obligation to prevent easy access It will likely end up working similarly to Ravenloft or the original travel to FR where you essentially have to unlock it by some means.

Ahpuch

What your saying seems reasonable but I haven't seen anything from SSG recently that indicates that they are interested in that level of world building. Hopefully I am wrong and this portal is not the only way to MD.

How do characters get to Tethyamar (or Search And Rescue)? Those are level 15s which would also come before the original quest chain to earn passage to Eveningstar. I have had the key for so long, I don't know what players without might do.

Arkat

Founder & Super Hero
It seems odd/wrong that access to an FR location and content is within another world of D&D, i.e. Eberron.
That ship sailed LONG ago (February 27th, 2012) with Update 13 Web of Chaos.

Last edited:

JustHavingFunBro

White Plume Mountain, Borderlands and Temple of Elemental Evil are not in Eberron. I believe they are all Greyhawk. Kinda makes sense to put another portal where the Gatekeepers are, but who knows.

Blunt Hackett

That shipped sailed LONG ago (February 27th, 2012) with Update 13 Web of Chaos.
Except that portal has an in-depth storyline that allows for the connection. Having another portal breaks that a little since having a level 13 portal open up kind of minimizes the impact of that story. However, I always felt the Hall of Heroes did that too, so what's one more at this point?

It's an MMO. I feel like convenience comes before lore in a game that plays loose with the rules anyway. Writing in another good reason without minimizing the existing story is preferred, but at the end of the day, we'll need a way to get there and the Gatekeepers are the standard way to do that.

Edit: Come to think of it, we already have another portal because Ravenloft is Forgotten Realms (which I find pretty dumb, but that's on WotC, not DDO). So yeah, what's one more portal?

Arkat

Founder & Super Hero
Except that portal has an in-depth storyline that allows for the connection. Having another portal breaks that a little since having a level 13 portal open up kind of minimizes the impact of that story. However, I always felt the Hall of Heroes did that too, so what's one more at this point?

It's an MMO. I feel like convenience comes before lore in a game that plays loose with the rules anyway. Writing in another good reason without minimizing the existing story is preferred, but at the end of the day, we'll need a way to get there and the Gatekeepers are the standard way to do that.

Edit: Come to think of it, we already have another portal because Ravenloft is Forgotten Realms (which I find pretty dumb, but that's on WotC, not DDO). So yeah, what's one more portal?
Oh, I don't care one way or the other.

I was just pointing out to Fizban that now's not the time to question the links between Eberron and the Forgotten Realms.

The time to do that was over 12 years ago.

PurpleSerpent

Monster Hunter of Moderate Renown
The time to do that was over 12 years ago.
If anything it was back in 1985, when the Mace of Saint Cuthbert turned up in the Victoria and Albert museum in a Dragon magazine adventure. If TSR's own writers started coming up with portals between Greyhawk and modern Earth back in First Edition we can hardly take umbrage to SSG mixing two official settings nearly 30 years later.

DilemmaEnder

Thelanis Player
Let us not forget that Myth Drannor is already to connected to more places than we can name. By design it is able to be connected to anywhere the DM needs it to be. That is kind of the whole point of the area. Magic run amok that could lead you to anywhere at anytime. Even during it's heyday it was known for ease of access. Not to mention all the possibilities that exist with secret portals or wild magic changing the destinations.

"The excessive use of High magic and portals in the city, combined with the actual mythal itself, weakened the "planar fabric" of the region, granting easier access to other planes of existence and crystal spheres. Most notable among these were the Feywild, the lower planes, the demiplane of Dread, along with the planet Krynn. Myth Drannan portals linked the city to other destinations such as the portal nexus referred to as Abarat's folly, located within his namesake tower in the Moonsea, the warrior's gate connected to the kingdom of Delimbiyran, and most importantly, the Gate Halls nexus that link the castles of the all the great elven kingdoms. The Silversgate connected Myth Drannor to Eaerlann, while the Honorsgate led to the Forest of Mir in Tethyr."

Needless to say this isn't an exhaustive list and if anywhere in the Forgotten Realms could be connected to Gatekeepers Grove (or wherever the Devs want to put it) then Myth Drannor is the one candidate that any lover of FR lore should not worry about.

HoopleHead

I don't know about you guys... but I'm kinda excited... Myth Drannor was also part of the SSI Gold Box games... warm fuzzy vibes

Fizban

I know it's never going to happen, but I'd love to be able to level from 1 to 20 in the Forgotten Realms...
This is my request for many years.

SSG could create a whole new low-level starting point in FR somewhere (NOT Eveningstar). All they need to do is add a few quests from 1-14 or so to start. Fill in a few quests from time to time to fill in content.