Need tips and advice - new player

jessku

Hello,

I am looking for a list of quests to farm.
Must have items to get.
Any tips to help a new player, like augment vendors, or what I should unlock, etc.
What collectibles to grab.

Is there something like that out there?

Buddha5440

We would also need to know your status (VIP/Premium/F2P), Lv, Class, Race, etc, to provide any rel info.

Bottom line...There are NO "Must have items". As has been proven many times, a first-life F2P player can solo Reaper 10 content with only random drop equipment.

Below that bottom line... PyrotechRick has it right.. DDOWiki has most of what you need.

saekee

long live ROGUE
Oh wow the list is endless. For collectables, grab all of them and remember you can buy larger bags for 8K from shopkeepers.

You will be on a TR train so there are some super useful items out there worth getting.
Skullduggery cap out of Final Enemy Saltmarsh; Pale Lavender Ioun Stone from dream chain; making a Master’s Gift from various components and a lowbie item put it in for wearing throughout heroics.
People make gearsets for heroics; I use a ML5 one and pimp it out. So something to consider to save bank space.

Other recommendations I can only offer based on your playstyle. For example, if you play melees, you want the Crown of Butterflies for its 10 MP. A light weapons melee would target a Sky Pirate’s dagger.

seph1roth5

Quest level - name - gear

1 - Violent delights - borderlands boots with 3x clickies of expeditious retreat. You can boots w/ 2x clickies from korthos (sacrifices) but 3x is better lol.
1 - Borderlands wilderness - a cloak with perma feather fall (wiki says it's rares but I could've sworn it dropped in violent delights too)
2 - Durk's got a secret - muckbane from an optional chest, if the ooze shows up. It's a low level weapon that won't get damaged on oozes, that tend to show up a lot. If you're a melee-er it's a huge help.
2 - kobold's new ringleader - loincloth, has a nice 25% fortification that's very helpful early on
4 - sharn syndicate chain - 4-5 quests in the marketplace, the weapons you get from completing the chain are lv 2 and very good.

Ddealti

Welcome to the game. I am going to answer your question in a couple of ways.
Focusing on gear, there are a few categories. General loot can be good and have multiple bonus's associated with them. Like +2 sword with 2d6 Acid. Then there Crafted gear, that you will need to delve deeply into the game to do, but it's essential custom built gear. Lastly there is Named Gear, which is usually extra special, in some way. But even better, it will often be part of a set, which gives you even better bonuses.

So, you will typically be looking for named gear. However your access is limited if you are free to play, so let's talk quests.
There are a whole bunch of quests that are free to play.
There are also adventure packs. Most new adventure packs cost money. The older ones can be obtain in three ways. First, VIP's get access with membership, second you can buy them, and the third way is by playing the game enough to earn points, which you can then use to buy the adventure packs.

I mention the adventure packs, because most of the cool gear isn't free to play. If you are chasing gear, the path typically includes Keep on the Borderlands, Feywild, Redfens, Sands of M..., Raven Loft, and Masterminds of Sharn. And none of those are free to play.

But don't worry about that now. For now, go do the Korthos chain. Make sure you pair up the reward gear properly. See this page.
Korthos Island Sets - https://ddowiki.com/page/Named_item_sets#Korthos_Island_sets

If you do all the quests, you will have a basic gear set. From then on just swap out gear, as it becomes available. In addition to loot chests, you can get gear from vendors around the Marketplace and in some of the Houses. There is also the Auction house. And that exists, because soon you will have TOO MUCH GEAR. You will be ignoring it in loot chests, because you don't have anyplace to put it. If you go through 10 to 20 levels of Free to Play, you will know if you like the game enough to invest some money. Then you can become a gear chasing addict like me. :cool:

Here is some general info I posted in another thread.

Have Fun!

Nebless

Quest level - name - gear

1 - Borderlands wilderness - a cloak with perma feather fall (wiki says it's rares but I could've sworn it dropped in violent delights too)
2 - Durk's got a secret - muckbane from an optional chest, if the ooze shows up. It's a low level weapon that won't get damaged on oozes, that tend to show up a lot. If you're a melee-er it's a huge help.
4 - sharn syndicate chain - 4-5 quests in the marketplace, the weapons you get from completing the chain are lv 2 and very good.

Nr. 1 - There's a couple perma Feather Fall items in the Keep on the Borderlands quests. I've gotten both the cloak, a ring and boots in the past.
BUT of more interest, I've picked up 3 perma FF boots just from the Harbor this HC while questing.

Nr. 2 & 3 - Again the Borderland - as you quest you'll collect those various ingots. Use the earth one on a club and either the silver or etheral on your weapon of choice. You'll get a lvl 2 that's generally better than what normally drops.

Buddha5440

What it all comes down to is this...

Learn/Know what style you like to play...Utility/DPS/Ranged/Tank/Nuker/DC Caster/Crowd Control/Healer/etc. ... and go with that. Then you can start to figure out how to fine tune things.

Try a run through Korthos or Borederlands (if you have it) with multiple classes/builds and see what you like.

Keep in mind... Melee is strong early, weaker endgame, Casters are weak early, stronger endgame, etc...

jessku

Awesome replies and I wanted to thank you all. I've been grabbing named sets and items as a I level. I might spend some time at 20 farming items before I TR.

I have an ethereal ring that is VERY useful. Forgot the name. Duskbone maybe?
Also, have a +6 con cloak named with other stats that is amazing. level 10 required. (I am now level 10)

C-Dog

o https://ddowiki.com/page/Named_item_sets

It's also important to remember that, long before "sets" became the rage, there were (and still are) many strong individual items, especially if you haven't finished your sets, and doubly so if you can fit them with those newer sets.

(Note that many of these have "improved versions" in more modern content, but this is largely a F2P list.)

Off the top of my head, some classics include...

o https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Voice_of_the_Master (see also https://ddowiki.com/page/Heroic_Inspiration, esp Master's Gift )
o Any of these items: https://ddowiki.com/page/Spell_Absorption
o https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Battleworn_Medal (esp for trappers)
o https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Book_of_Spirits (for early ghost-touch)
o https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Cloak_of_Invisibility
o https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Symbol_of_the_Slave_Lords (as a solo item)

and so on.

Scrag

I have said this many times in the past (and often got negative response to it) but, here it goes again...

IT'S JUST A FREAKING GAME!!!! Have fun or don't play it.

Happy gaming all :)
This a million times over. Even if you "suck" compared to what you perceive other people are doing, if you love your character and what you do with it, then you will want to get gear. If you hate your char, as a new player, just strip it of gear into shared bank and try something else.

Something somewhere will scratch your itch, and the rest will just fall into place.

edit: if conceptually you like a class, and really want to make it go, it may be painful for a while to you get "the right" gear (this is different for each person), and then things will fit into place.

My dark hunter did well in heroics, did terribad in epics and legendary, but eventually got the gear and my understanding of the char changed dramatically. Turns out doing stuff a little different and wearing unexpected gear made a huge difference! Now I am on the fence about reincarnating, but there is something I REALLY want to do, and its all the same gear anyway so no lost hard work!

Buddha5440

This a million times over. Even if you "suck" compared to what you perceive other people are doing, if you love your character and what you do with it, then you will want to get gear. If you hate your char, as a new player, just strip it of gear into shared bank and try something else.

Something somewhere will scratch your itch, and the rest will just fall into place.

edit: if conceptually you like a class, and really want to make it go, it may be painful for a while to you get "the right" gear (this is different for each person), and then things will fit into place.

My dark hunter did well in heroics, did terribad in epics and legendary, but eventually got the gear and my understanding of the char changed dramatically. Turns out doing stuff a little different and wearing unexpected gear made a huge difference! Now I am on the fence about reincarnating, but there is something I REALLY want to do, and its all the same gear anyway so no lost hard work!
Exactly...

I run a Ranger 6 (for sniper shot)/ Rogue (1 to 4)/ X (10-13) for past lives because I like the AA build I have made. It took me quite a while to get it where I wanted it (Almost NO raid gear (Pinion, I use Epic Thorn Lord until Lv 23) and Quiver of Alacrity only), Epic Tourney Armor (for the 15/- DR, except on builds like Druid/Arcane Casters (although I rarely cast), CC gear for pretty much everything else, and VotM (with Feather Fall/Deathblock/Armored Agiltiy +2)).

This build fits the play-style I like (fully capable trapper, self healing (when out of combat), decent DPS, great burst/boss DPS

IRL, I am a jack-of-all-trades type of person (most of my friends refer to me as their own personal "MacGyver"). :)

It's what I like and makes the game FUN for me; otherwise I wouldn't play it...GAME should = FUN...otherwise, what's the point?

Happy gaming all :)

Buddha5440

I have often had people in PUG's say to me 'that's an unusual build...how does it work?'. The bottom line is that it works solely off the HW/AA/DWS trees (in that order...41 in HW/at least 11 in DWS/ at least 17 in AA (up to 24 for 2 more imbue dice), so the third class (the one I am running for TR), doesn't even come into play much and I rarely spend points in those trees (unless it's to grab some low hanging healing or imbue dice).

Coffey

Awesome replies and I wanted to thank you all. I've been grabbing named sets and items as a I level. I might spend some time at 20 farming items before I TR.
If you take level 20 you will be locked out of Heroic quests. Most stay at level 18 or 19 if you wanted to farm Sharn for eg.

GL and have fun!