New Lam today?

glass_jaws

I thought Cordovan mentioned we would be getting a new Lam today last week? Did I misunderstand that?

dur

aka Cybersquirt
On this Lamania thing - it's still a sandbox, right?

eta: Does it prefer SSD? Any know bugs on same HDD?

S'il vous plait?

PurpleSerpent

Monster Hunter of Moderate Renown
On this Lamania thing - it's still a sandbox, right?

eta: Does it prefer SSD? Any know bugs on same HDD?

S'il vous plait?
Lamannia is DDO's preview server - it's used to showcase content that's due to release in the near future, so that players can check it for bugs, and sometimes make suggestions on loot profiles, particularly annoying parts that should be removed, etcetera.

Most of the stuff that is shown on Lamannia makes it to the live servers, sometimes in an altered state, but not everything. The best example I can think of was the Epic Wand Bracelet - a sort of quiver for wands which was previewed before update 12, but ultimately ended up being scrapped (we suspect due to a whole load of bugs, but we've never had the full story.)

DDO's actual sandbox servers aren't available to the public - however, you can see one in action in the Joy of Deving livestreams, as Bob uses one to test out the shell of the new quest.

Reactions: dur

dur

aka Cybersquirt
When I said sandbox, I meant 'what comes in does not go out,' :cool:

So it doesn't care where it's installed?

glass_jaws

The install should be a different directory than your base ddo, but other than that it is fine wherever.

Phoenicis

Savage's Husband
The install should be a different directory than your base ddo, but other than that it is fine wherever.
In my experience, installing DDO on a HDD (even a hybrid HDD/SSD) causes loading screen crashes.

When I upgraded my machines from HDD to SSDs years ago nearly 100% of my loading screen crashes went away. To be fair they have slowly been coming back, but My wife and I don't get nearly the number of loading screen crashes I used to get.