New Locked Chest Symbol

Alco

I just saw locks the other day and LOVE IT. No longer do I have teammates standing around the chest going Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

Another great quality of life feature. I understand people don't like it, but it has been a life saver for me and a massive source of xp since I don't accidentally bypass traps that could be disarmed for ingenious or whatever (10/20/30%).
Really? Who does that?

The way you check if a chest is locked is you try to open it. This works in real life as well as fantasy life. Why would anyone ever stand over a chest waiting to see if it is locked? You should know pretty much immediately and if there is no lock picker, you move on. If there is a lock picker and they don't pick the lock, then this change does nothing either way, just makes an annoying graphic.

Jomee

Why!
Which Dev just figured out that he or she can put symbols above items, and is going crazy with it!
Why are you trying to turn this game into a cartoon version of itself!
If we wanted cartoons we'd be playing WoW!

Totally not needed, and looks almost as bad as the new Spot Check symbols over the heads of Characters.

Just Stop-it!
I think the lock icon is helpful.

LunaCee

While normally useful... there are a couple places where I could do without having the entire array of lock symbols floating around blocking vision. A certain run through the side door of the Lordsmarch Bank with Zircon ends with the player arriving in a room with dozens of the icons floating around in the middle of the air. And where they actively cover the center of the screen if you move to go to the back corner.

Scrag

Really? Who does that?

The way you check if a chest is locked is you try to open it. This works in real life as well as fantasy life. Why would anyone ever stand over a chest waiting to see if it is locked? You should know pretty much immediately and if there is no lock picker, you move on. If there is a lock picker and they don't pick the lock, then this change does nothing either way, just makes an annoying graphic.
Previously, I had many groupmates stand around chests, until someone says its locked. So while it might be apparent to you that a chest is locked having run through the quest X times, for someone new who doesn't know the location of all the traps, or which chests are locked, it is massively helpful.

Why don't I immediately go try to pick locks and doors? Because its a waste of time. You never know why someone might be hanging at a door or chest or trap. It is usually just a few seconds, but some people have gotten offended that I don't automatically know something is trapped or locked. Now that I have locks and trap icons, I instantly do my job without hesitation.

Yes, the icons are helpful. Yes, it helps teams move more smoothly when new players are part of the group. No, you didn't know why someone would stand around a chest. It might be trapped. Or a door might be trapped. I have picked doors and blown up with a trap in/near the door. I have been blown up by pressure plates around a chest. This is an immense QoL improvement.

Just get a toggle, and you won't ever have to worry about new players in the game.

Last edited:

Praun

Previously, I had many groupmates stand around chests, until someone says its locked. So while it might be apparent to you that a chest is locked having run through the quest X times, for someone new who doesn't know the location of all the traps, or which chests are locked, it is massively helpful.

That is NOT how any dungeon works.
You are supposed to not know if the thing is locked till you try to open it.

Why don't I immediately go try to pick locks and doors? Because its a waste of time. You never know why someone might be hanging at a door or chest or trap. It is usually just a few seconds, but some people have gotten offended that I don't automatically know something is trapped or locked. Now that I have locks and trap icons, I instantly do my job without hesitation.

... and the silly lock icon does NOTHING in this regard.

If it is locked and you can pick it, do so.
If it's locked and you can't pick it, move on.
This isn't rocket science.

Yes, the icons are helpful. Yes, it helps teams move more smoothly when new players are part of the group. No, you didn't know why someone would stand around a chest. It might be trapped. Or a door might be trapped. I have picked doors and blown up with a trap in/near the door. I have been blown up by pressure plates around a chest. This is an immense QoL improvement.

Pure rubbish.

In any D&D campaign, you don't know if a door or chest is locked until you actually try to open it.

That's the point of the lock. If a chest is locked and trapped, and someone dies ... oh well, that is an excellent way to learn to keep a rogue in your party.

Putting this silly, childish icon in this game defeats the purpose of the game and removes any sense of game immersion.

Just get a toggle, and you won't ever have to worry about new players in the game.

Just get rid of it outright because it doesn't serve any real purpose.