New Raid - Alternate Ending(s)

Symbiont

So, with the new raid being previewed on lamannia, and with the suggestion of a possible alternate ending from the development team, we felt obligated to try to comb through the raid thoroughly and see what we could find. To our surprise, we did find an alternate ending to the raid! But.. not a great one. I'm sure everyone has probably been thinking, "what happens if you don't push the balor off the edge before he explodes?". We tried precisely that, and this happened:

ScreenShot_2023-08-30_213407_0.jpg

ScreenShot_2023-08-30_213409_0.jpg

After letting the raid boss sit at the edge for a few minutes and doing nothing to engage him, he blew up at the edge - blinding everyone's screens - and detonating the Stormglory Bolt airship in the background. The raid ended up completing, though the objective to "push the balor from platform before it explodes" remained unchecked, and we actually lost one of the chests that are supposed to spawn at the ending, leaving us only with one.*

*Note: we were testing on normal. It's entirely possible that only one chest drops on LN, but it's worth mentioning anyway.

ScreenShot_2023-08-30_213357_0.jpg

This "bad ending" in itself isn't that useful or desirable, but this is a huge discovery in the sense that the ending of the raid can be manipulated. I personally want to try a lot of ideas, some of them along the lines of doing nothing but leading the balor into risia ice orbs all quest in the hopes we can neutralize him by constant cold instead of killing him (and therefore never have him exploding), and potentially find another ending that way. Unfortunately, we weren't able to bring him to the beginning of the raid and blow up the library.

Also obviously; this is a lamannia preview. It's entirely possible that such an alternate ending, if it exists, hasn't even been implemented yet. Anything tried here is worth trying a second time when the raid hits live servers, but this is just what we found so far. Hope this helps start any new ideas!

Mand O'Lin

Singer of Songs Drinker of Drinks
So, with the new raid being previewed on lamannia, and with the suggestion of a possible alternate ending from the development team, we felt obligated to try to comb through the raid thoroughly and see what we could find. To our surprise, we did find an alternate ending to the raid! But.. not a great one. I'm sure everyone has probably been thinking, "what happens if you don't push the balor off the edge before he explodes?". We tried precisely that, and this happened:

ScreenShot_2023-08-30_213407_0.jpg

ScreenShot_2023-08-30_213409_0.jpg

After letting the raid boss sit at the edge for a few minutes and doing nothing to engage him, he blew up at the edge - blinding everyone's screens - and detonating the Stormglory Bolt airship in the background. The raid ended up completing, though the objective to "push the balor from platform before it explodes" remained unchecked, and we actually lost one of the chests that are supposed to spawn at the ending, leaving us only with one.*

*Note: we were testing on normal. It's entirely possible that only one chest drops on LN, but it's worth mentioning anyway.

ScreenShot_2023-08-30_213357_0.jpg

This "bad ending" in itself isn't that useful or desirable, but this is a huge discovery in the sense that the ending of the raid can be manipulated. I personally want to try a lot of ideas, some of them along the lines of doing nothing but leading the balor into risia ice orbs all quest in the hopes we can neutralize him by constant cold instead of killing him (and therefore never have him exploding), and potentially find another ending that way. Unfortunately, we weren't able to bring him to the beginning of the raid and blow up the library.

Also obviously; this is a lamannia preview. It's entirely possible that such an alternate ending, if it exists, hasn't even been implemented yet. Anything tried here is worth trying a second time when the raid hits live servers, but this is just what we found so far. Hope this helps start any new ideas!
The notion of having numerous methods of completing a quest / raid is laudable. To me, this is more in keeping with the PnP heritage of DDO, where various groups might come up with different solutions to problems.

comfy

the comfortable
Thanks for testing that out :) I'm excited to explore it more once it goes live. I have a feeling that the "secret ending" won't be active on Lamannia.

Valerianus

Former Captain Of The Rotten Shark
thank you for testing.

??? by chance did anyone try to target it and /say youshallnotpass

:)

Griglok (Karatemack)

Leader- The Casual Obsession (Khyber)
Crazy idea... but has anyone tried putting the Balor's fires out? Maybe after you hit him with a certain number of the Risia Orbs he loses the ability to explode at the end? You would be "embracing your death" like one of the messages suggests you should by not outright killing the Balor.