Newbie Guide to Guilds?

bookmarked

Is there a guide to guilds for newbies (DDO Guilds for Dummies)?

The wiki has details on how guilds work, although even there some bits are confusing. There's not really anything beyond that, like how to find a guild that fits your style of playing, things newbies should watch out for, etc.

Thanks!

bookmarked

Some guilds recruit for new players ask around on your server
Finding a guild isn't really what I was asking about. People keep trying to recruit my bank mules, so I've had to mark them Anonymous and uncheck the option to accept guild requests.

bookmarked

Since no one has pointed me to the Newbie Guide to Guilds, I guess I'll ask a bunch of questions.

1) I assume guilds are limited to a single server, correct? The wiki is unclear:
More often than not, a Guild operates on one, designated server.

2) I also assume that a character can be a member of only one guild at a time, correct?
If I have multiple alts from the same account on the same server, can they be members of different guilds (though I'm not sure why I'd want to do that)? If yes, how does that affect Guild Renown (since it's tied to the number of member accounts rather than the number of member alts)?

3) The wiki article on Guild Renown is confusing. Under "Guild Renown boost" it says:
Modified Guild Size = Total Active Accounts - Inactive^1 Accounts + Recent^2 Departures.

1) More than 30 days since any character has logged in on that account. These accounts are not counted for any purpose in the guild.
2) Less than 14 days since the last character in that account left the guild, willingly or not.

The formula as presented makes no sense to me. If we ignore recent departures for the moment, we have
Modified Guild Size = Total Active Accounts - Inactive Accounts
As an example, take a guild with 49 members. If 25 of them are Active and 24 of them are Inactive, that means that the Modified Guild Size is 1 (25 - 24 = 1)!
It makes much more sense to eliminate the word 'Active' from the 'Total Active Accounts' so the formula becomes
Modified Guild Size = Total Accounts - Inactive Accounts
This makes the example Modified Guild Size = 49 - 24 = 25.
So, which is correct?

Inactive accounts do not hurt your guild renown production or decay unless they become active again.
4) How do inactive accounts becoming active hurt guild renown production? Wouldn't it increase?

5) And, since the wiki article doesn't actually say what causes guild renown decay, I have no idea how an inactive account becoming active again might affect it. The article only talks about when it happens and the math covering how much. So, what causes decay (not renown loss from leaving characters, which is covered separately)? Is it just a calculated amount of renown lost daily to force a guild to maintain a certain level of incoming renown? Is it a "tax" on maintaining inactive members?

6) Obviously there are all kinds of guilds out there. I've seen a few guilds promote themselves as casual. I'm pretty sure that's what I'd be interested in, but what is commonly meant by "casual"? I'm content to fumble around in heroics learning the game. Do members of casual guilds have any real responsibilities or requirements? Am I just free to do my own thing and earn the guild a bit of renown while I'm at it? Do they care at all if I stop playing for several months and then come back to play again?

7) As a newbie, is there anything else I should know or watch out for regarding guilds?

Thanks!

Mornyngstar

3) Ok first: Active Account means having 1 toon in the guild at minimum from the same login account. If you put a second toon from the same login account into the guild the Active Account # stays the same. So, Active Account means Login Account regardless of how many toons from that account are in the guild.

3) One possible reason to have different toons in different guilds is if you have a certain play style with a particular toon. My first guild I ever joined was because I kept ending up in their quests as the Intim Barbarian, so they kinda adopted me. (This was Blood & Guts on Thelanis). Later on, I found someone that complemented my playstyle and jumped Guilds to his (Mercenaries Incorporated).

4) The best optimization for Small Guild Bonus is to have 6 Active Accounts in the Guild. This will get you a +300% bonus for collecting Guild Renown. (i.e. a 100 Guild Renown reward gets you 400 Guild Renown instead). If an Inactive Account becomes Active then there is a drop in the bonus if you are at 6 Active Accounts up to 50 Active Accounts. (The bonus does not drop beyond 51 Active Accounts since the bonus drops to 0% at that point.

5) I essentially ignore Guild Decay. Even with a lv 199 Guild I don't even notice it.

6) It all depends upon the guild. The one I am currently in still has members that haven't logged in in 5+ years. there are others that do to being almost full they give you a few weeks inactive then drop you. Some will keep you on if you inform them "Hey I need X amount of time off because of whatever".

7) If you ever decide to make a guild of your own there is a simple was to level the guild fast. First have 6 Active Accounts in the guild. This can include Alt Accounts if you are familiar with them. Second prep Sagas both Heroic and Epic on the same toon, ideally you would prep multiple toons. Third, on a Guild Bonus Weekend of 50%, buy a +200% 3hr Guild Renown Boost Potion/elixir. Fourth, Go collect all 25 prepped Sagas on your toon, if more than 1 toon repeat Third/Fourth until all Sagas are collected. Now the math: each saga has as part of its reward a 15k Guild Renown. With Small Guild Bonus from the 6 Active Accounts this instantly becomes 60k Guild Renown. With a potion going that then becomes 240k Guild Renown. Then you add the 50% bonus from and end up with each Saga getting you 360K Guild Renown. Times 25 Sagas and each toon is then worth 9 million Guild Renown. I have down this before but with a maximum collecting of 21 Sagas (Isle of Dread was new at the time) and I collected on 14 toons. I am still currently rebuilding my toons Sagas and have 3 prepped.

7) If you need extra storage space, having a bank toon with its own bank guild makes it easy. The Bank toon carries the BTA items and a lv 20 guild (400k Guild Renown needed) can carry 80 unbound items in the Guild Chest lv 1 and you can get a platinum Guild Chest in the Cargo Hold that can store an Additional 20 items also.

I hope this clears up some of you questions and confusion.

Ying

5000+ hours played
Fewer players in the guild means you gain more from each renown source. So if you're just starting a guild, you either want to keep it small and full of very active people or go large and let the volume of players make up the difference for not getting a small guild bonus.

Guild level dictates what ship amenities you can have. Once you get to 150, there's nothing new to obtain. If you're starting a guild, you typically want to get to level 60 ASAP to obtain the 5% experience shrine.

DDO Gaming

Finding a guild isn't really what I was asking about. People keep trying to recruit my bank mules, so I've had to mark them Anonymous and uncheck the option to accept guild requests.
If you VIP consider creating a guildship and parking your banks there. You are under no obligation to flesh it out

vryxnr

Is there a guide to guilds for newbies (DDO Guilds for Dummies)?

The wiki has details on how guilds work, although even there some bits are confusing. There's not really anything beyond that, like how to find a guild that fits your style of playing, things newbies should watch out for, etc.

Thanks!
Finding like minded people requires going out and being social. Join groups, observe how people play, talk to them. That really is all there is to it. Different guilds have different styles, and different recruitment policies. Those are all determined by the people in the guild, so the only way to learn is to talk to them and find out.