No Hardcore In 2024?

seph1roth5

I think it's very strange to not have a HC. Even though I haven't been able to play in the last...however many seasons since the mimic one, and it sucks having lower populations while it's up, I always thought it was a big moneymaker for them.

Maybe these new ilithidian events will have some aspect to them that encourages people to buy a lot of store items too?

owl

I realy like Hardcore and participated in most of the seasons, but it's definitely run it's course.

1) The guild system is frustrating and doesn't work well on hardcore. I log on run a few quests and level from 1 to 2 and am almost guaranteed to be booted by the next day. Then after finding a guild with room will then play some more and be booted the next morning because I am only level 3. Alot of people I know stopped running hardcore because the guild system is so frustrating. If you don't play alot of hours each day and play every day you just get booted continually and logging in daily isn't even enough.

2) People have already figured out how to beat the challenge. Season 1 was the most meaningful followed by season 2 and each subsequent season became easier and less meaningful.

Mixing things up and giving different challenges is better than just extending the same old grind. This is one reason I am disappointed they are extending the reaper point system instead of trying something different.

Bowserkoopa

King of the Koopa's
Place your bets on the following event happening.

We hear your cries to keep hardcore around and as per our usual announce X but then act gracious and not take that action we will in fact be doing something with hardcore this year. Everyone rejoice in how much we listen to our player base.

Dom

I realy like Hardcore and participated in most of the seasons, but it's definitely run it's course.

1) The guild system is frustrating and doesn't work well on hardcore. I log on run a few quests and level from 1 to 2 and am almost guaranteed to be booted by the next day. Then after finding a guild with room will then play some more and be booted the next morning because I am only level 3. Alot of people I know stopped running hardcore because the guild system is so frustrating. If you don't play alot of hours each day and play every day you just get booted continually and logging in daily isn't even enough.

2) People have already figured out how to beat the challenge. Season 1 was the most meaningful followed by season 2 and each subsequent season became easier and less meaningful.

Mixing things up and giving different challenges is better than just extending the same old grind. This is one reason I am disappointed they are extending the reaper point system instead of trying something different.
New seasons of hardcore that have some actual "challenges" to them are good, but the redux seasons should stop.

The guild situation may be frustrating, but not sure what else you would expect when there's such a high demand to basically be in two guilds. This could be addressed by SSG increasing the cap on characters allowed in a guild, but I doubt they would look into doing that - the guild system in general hasn't been touched in years.

axel15810

Hopefully they've thoroughly considered the financial implications - I always thought hardcore was a major money maker. Even though we obviously don't have access to the financial data. I just hope the game financially is OK without it. I want the lights to stay on. There's also players who only play HC and ignore the regular servers, I feel bad for those players.

If dev resources is the limiting factor, then how about just do reduxes only in 2024, atleast 1 season? There are several seasons that have yet to get a redux season. I don't know the dev time it takes to implement them but considering they've already been made and ran before you wouldn't think it'd be that much.

I'm wondering if by any chance the new Dynamic Event thing is in the form of a separate server or something. Or if it's a regular ongoing thing that is going to happen continuously throughout the year canceling HC would make sense. Maybe more info on this new event would explain this further. I kinda doubt it though, seems more likely it's an event very similar to the Illithid event.

Drunken.dx

Reason for no hardcore might be because of all the "soft core" complaints?

There were quite a few topics where people complained how season 9 is not "hardcore enough" and that SSG better do something better for season 10.

I mean VIP benefits are how long in making?

Imagine all the complaints if season 10 was "bland" as some would put it.

So now SSG postponed season 10 AND is having events that target entire playerbase (I sincerely hope they won't repeat thrall mess)?
And Myth Drannor will have "wild magic" zones?

Testing ground for mechanics of season 10 much?

Titus Ovid

Mover and Shaker
I am not exactly a fan of too much hardcore but SSG should have completed the 10th season to make it round. Stopping at 9 rears the ugly head of my OCD.

Cheers,
Titus

Drinkfist

I only play HC leagues and get friends together to do it when they come up. I enjoy playing DDO as a MMO roguelike a few months out of the year. I have no intention of ever playing a live server as anything and everything that happens past level 20 I don't care for.

Savage

Phoenicis' Wife
I am very sad about not having a HC season this year. I mean first you get us hooked on it and now you wanna let us starve for over a year??? Would the year of the dragon not have been a great opportunity for a special HC season? I totally got used to spending christmas with my hubby in DDO on HC. Could we please at least get the mimic season redux at the end of the year, if it is to much to plan a new HC?? Pretty please

I didnt even play the last event because my main was not capped but I am playing harcore and enjoying it. Its seems like SSG want to take all the joy out of this game. Well I can always play something else.

NomadDog

DDO Hawaiian Style!
I was on the fence about even doing HC9. Season 3 was the first HC season I played (since it was the first one open to non-VIP). To be honest, this HC season has been more soft-core than anything. You can run quests at base+4 and get 2 extra lives. It really is easy mode this season. I'm slowly taking my time working through it, but it really isn't as nerve wracking as it was in previous seasons.

To be honest, I'm okay with no HC season this year as long as the content that SSG is putting out makes up for the loss of the season. They really need to nail Myth Drannor, not totally screw up the ED rebalance, and get the VIP program sorted.

Blunt Hackett

I'm actually pretty surprised by this to be honest. I was under the impression HC season was a money maker (people subscribing for Elite opening plus buying things they may not otherwise need if they were only questing on their main server).

However, I think it is awesome they are going to do events for the entire community. I just hope these events are designed to be more inclusive than the Illithid Invasion was, but I think and hope they learned plenty from that.

Xeang

Hardcore provided me with new friends that were across the servers. A year without those friends? sad. Hardcore provided me more challenge as after 13 years the game had been losing that punch of needing to survive. Hardcore provide me a brand new toon where every chest meant something, every monster a potential for alarm. Hardcore provided me with a greater need to group and have diverse toons -- trappers and healers, melee etc. in a balanced party rather than just a lot of the current meta toons grouping together. Hardcore provided me more fun.

I hope the Devs change their minds and provide another season or two of hardcore in 2024.

FaceDancer

Olde Wurm
If money is being spent in HC, does that mean that it is diminishing the money spent in regular DDO? I suspect the answer at some level is yes. Not to mention that the player population shrinks significantly when the events are on. This is my first go at HC and I'm enjoying it, but it is a diversion from other aspects of DDO. I would love to see HC continue, but I wonder if it may be just diverting too much from the rest of the game and that may be the logic on not having it in 2024?

CBDunk

It would probably make sense to have 'redux' runs for seasons 4 (mimics) and 6 (hounds) at some point, but otherwise I'd much rather they concentrate on comparably (or more) time consuming events for the main servers. Maybe return to new full hardcore seasons in the future as a relatively easy alternative to planning out a truly unique new event each year.

lumpi

yes please a break from Hardcore....I feel Hardcore fatigue is setting in. Redux or not it seems like the same race to the end rewards. You know 1) make an OP toon 2) join a guild who already has the best buffs 3) buy stuff from AH or store to increase OP-ness 4) have a pre-planned quest list 5) run with like-minded OPP

Reactions: DBZ