No Hardcore In 2024?

Sturmbb

You don’t have to spend any reaper points or TR start a guild for that
I think the main reason he wants a server that doesn't have the TR mechanic is the chance that when you open an LFM up, you may get a TR that can obliterate the content. Now don't get me wrong there are certain players in this game that doesn't need multiple TR's to obliterate the content, with their gaming skills and knowledge. It's just that the chances of getting an elite gamer in your LFM is a lot lower than someone who has multiple past lives that can obliterate the content. Also the game play of a TR toon is someone who runs quests fast, to get the most efficient xp per minute they can achieve. So they zoom ahead to complete the quest as quick as they can.

Lazuli

You don’t have to spend any reaper points or TR start a guild for that
The problem is that there are two very different styles of play currently, there are the casual ones that usually have weak characters and who play the quests slowly, and the veteran ones with strong characters accustomed to solving the quests quickly (not necessarily zerging, since a one thing is not synonymous with the other)

You will never be able to reconcile two such opposite extremes. And a few in the casual group really hate having a strong veteran join their groups. Now, you don't really need past lives or reaper points to do a quest fast. But there is that belief on the part of many people.

Sturmbb

Well, if DDO isn't going to scratch my hardcore itch, I'll find other games that do.
I started playing 4 years ago, a month before HC3.

SC servers are a filler for when you don't know anything better to do.
There's no fun left in SC, repeating the same old quests with all farmed out gear (not complainging about that, because it was a lot of work and time investment getting there) on mostly solo r1.
I bought the christmas bundle (3 full blown expansions ultimate tier for less than 27€) of Elder Scrolls Online and after completing the HC goals now in HC9,
I TRed and am now left without motivation to continue, instead I'm enjoying the fresh new content on ESO, been logging in for 5 days straight now.

One hand: Fresh new shiny
Other hand: Old and boring grind

Sometimes repeating the old and known can be fun,
and if I hadn't completed the goals I'd probably still be grinding in HC9 for levels and rxp, because it's winter.

Ultimately not having a HC season in 2024 will drive me to play other games long term, to fill the boredom void, 7 races away from being done with the grind. New content will pull me back for a while, but I like PvP in MMORPGs and HC of "easy" content, because SC is just a filler.
For me, the ultimate motivation to play this game is a HC season.
I remember more than once, I was about to quit playing, then a HC season happened, and I continued playing DDO, even subscribing.
I completely agree. I had actually quit the game and it was HC that brought me back to the game.

I am actually doing what you have suggested. I am just getting the rest of my HC rewards for season 9, than I'm going to be playing some other games that has the permadeath mechanic (been doing a bit of research and got a couple of games to try). I think i have spoiled myself over the years with only playing permadeath games. I love the adrenaline rush knowing that the game has consequences if you die. I find Live just so unfulfilling and find the game mechanic of TRing utterly unappealing.

I am actually really looking forward to a break. I am still going to hang around the forums, as i love the player base :) .

Sylla

I think the main reason he wants a server that doesn't have the TR mechanic is the chance that when you open an LFM up, you may get a TR that can obliterate the content. Now don't get me wrong there are certain players in this game that doesn't need multiple TR's to obliterate the content, with their gaming skills and knowledge. It's just that the chances of getting an elite gamer in your LFM is a lot lower than someone who has multiple past lives that can obliterate the content. Also the game play of a TR toon is someone who runs quests fast, to get the most efficient xp per minute they can achieve. So they zoom ahead to complete the quest as quick as they can.
No. I just want game that is way harder than current state of ddo. Reaper enhancements is failed concept, there has to be different kind of reward for pushing skulls than more power.

TR is interesting but also annoying and if players actually spent time at the cap more, the small player base would be able to play more together.

As it is now, only a handful of players play the end game equip tetris game and min max their characters.

Right now i zerg to 30 with a feywild lvl5 gear on r1 only to reset back to 1 and repeat... Staying at cap as It is now is unappealing. People there either farm reaper points or push raids in stable groups few times per week.

Cyberdine (YezakGai)

Cannith, Silver Legion
No. I just want game that is way harder than current state of ddo. Reaper enhancements is failed concept, there has to be different kind of reward for pushing skulls than more power.

TR is interesting but also annoying and if players actually spent time at the cap more, the small player base would be able to play more together.

As it is now, only a handful of players play the end game equip tetris game and min max their characters.

Right now i zerg to 30 with a feywild lvl5 gear on r1 only to reset back to 1 and repeat... Staying at cap as It is now is unappealing. People there either farm reaper points or push raids in stable groups few times per week.
What the comment Tanis made was getting at, or at least how I saw it correct me if I'm wrong, was that you can choose to make the game harder for yourself. The opportunity is there.

Never TR, don't equip certain items, use less-supported weapon types, never spend reaper points, don't use epic destiny trees. Yes, the game doesn't force that on everyone. But as you say you want it harder, just make it harder on yourself then. Make the game more challenging if that's really what you want.

DDO has an overwhelming amount of choices. Create what you want to create.

Last edited:

TedSandyman

The problem is that there are two very different styles of play currently, there are the casual ones that usually have weak characters and who play the quests slowly, and the veteran ones with strong characters accustomed to solving the quests quickly (not necessarily zerging, since a one thing is not synonymous with the other)

You will never be able to reconcile two such opposite extremes. And a few in the casual group really hate having a strong veteran join their groups. Now, you don't really need past lives or reaper points to do a quest fast. But there is that belief on the part of many people.
This isn't really correct. There aren't just weak and strong players, there is a whole range. I consider myself a pretty good player in general but I don't have infinite time to grind all the gear and all the extra past lives and therefore don't live the life of the extreme ubers. For a very special five or six weeks at the beginning of hardcore, everyone is pretty close together. And the weak can play along with the great. And people, even the zergers, are a little more cautious. Its just a blast for many of us to play. Yeah there are a few who run off an leave everybody, but there is a really, really big helpful group of players who run lots of quests 24/7 where there is almost always a group in your level range. It genuinely make the game fun to play again.

Onyxia2016

Crazy thing is you can ALWAYS play Hardcore...if you die just delete and restart. Peeps been playing perma death long before Hardcore was even a thing.

This is very true. I can only assume those that still think they cannot run a HC guild/group on live servers is that they lack the will power to see it through. Guess it is to easy to rationalize a death as server lag, not my fault, etc... and get a do over. Yes there is no shiny cosmetic waiting for you at various levels but to the new 1st life character, everything is shiny and new.

Gather some like-minded players, set the ground rules and have fun.
If you really want to ratchet it up have everyone meet up on a different live server so no resources from the home server are available.
Yes, you will not be able to transfer the character for free but for the most part it would be very HC like.

Start a thread on the forum to track and share the adventures Think of it as a poor man's/woman's leaderboard.

Point is, there is always a way to make it work.

The Narc

This is very true. I can only assume those that still think they cannot run a HC guild/group on live servers is that they lack the will power to see it through. Guess it is to easy to rationalize a death as server lag, not my fault, etc... and get a do over. Yes there is no shiny cosmetic waiting for you at various levels but to the new 1st life character, everything is shiny and new.

Gather some like-minded players, set the ground rules and have fun.
If you really want to ratchet it up have everyone meet up on a different live server so no resources from the home server are available.
Yes, you will not be able to transfer the character for free but for the most part it would be very HC like.

Start a thread on the forum to track and share the adventures Think of it as a poor man's/woman's leaderboard.

Point is, there is always a way to make it work.
Yep come join The Narc in Mortal Voyage, lol but wait until hardcore is over because I am there during the hardcore season. I am currently running with 9 other mortal voyagers on hardcore and they al have their reaper cloak and horse.

The Narc

Sturmbb

I actually used to love playing at Cap pre MOTU. i had multiple alts and was always switching them to help out whichever quest or raid was being run. I absolutely loved shroud when it was end game content. Most of the time I didn't complete the raid so i didn't go on timer.

I do have toons at cap, but there is absolutely no appeal to actually playing those toons.

TRing my character just never appealed to me. I love getting my toon to cap, but i don't think i would be able to motivate myself to do it again.

As you say, the game is easy enough as it is. I am pretty sure the game never used to be this easy. Now it feels like a walk in the park.

I am not sure what the answer is. When Hardcore came along it definitely brought me back to the game. Now we are having a year off 2024 HC, ill be able to charge my batteries. Hopefully Season X, when it comes round will be something really special and something to look forward to.

Jummby

As far as I am concerned the "Main Server" is the hardcore server. I see zero appeal to playing on any of the non HC servers where you just TR loop eternally with zero challenge. Anyone saying the HC servers are pulling away from the non HC is conceding my point. The HC server is a better game.
OK. So don't play?

Jack Jarvis Esquire

Whilst I understand the fact that many will miss HC for a year, in the bigger context, the Year of The Dragon will happen only once, and those who may prefer that over HC will ultimately have less opportunity to play to their preference than HC aficionados will to theirs. 👍

Archest

Live server self HC is not anything like HC nor does it limit others to a HC environment.
from AH items availability to cost of Items on the AH to broker item availability and costs as well.
to crafting items and finding groups or players with the same caution.

Sturmbb

And for others it is the worst🤷🏻‍♂️
I always find it funny when other people take enjoyment out of bad things happening to other people. Maybe in 2025 they'll shut down the live servers while HC Season 10 is on.. NOW THAT WOULD BE THE BEST NEWS.. I'm obviously joking.

I think all players should get to play the way they want.

Here's to Hardcore Season 10 in 2025. Hopefully it will be something really special everyone can get behind.

Lazuli

I always find it funny when other people take enjoyment out of bad things happening to other people. Maybe in 2025 they'll shut down the live servers while HC Season 10 is on.. NOW THAT WOULD BE THE BEST NEWS.. I'm obviously joking.

I think all players should get to play the way they want.

Here's to Hardcore Season 10 in 2025. Hopefully it will be something really special everyone can get behind.
There are indeed people who take pleasure in the misery of others, as I have seen with the recent nerfs.

But many of those who are glad that there is no HC is because the population of their servers drops too much when there is an active season, between those who play there and those who are going to take a break.

A server merge is needed (half as many servers as there are now, I think would be appropriate), so with more population on the normal servers, they could have a HC with periodic restarts running permanently. That would make everyone happy.

The bad thing is that a server merge is complicated and brings its own problems. The other thing even more ideal, attracting more players and don't feed up the veterans, they have not done it in 7 years, and they are not going to achieve it now.

The DDO population has problems supporting additional servers, largely due to the politics that have taken place over the years. The population is actually getting smaller, I am very sad about the decrease in lfms.

Archest

fact is they haven't put too much into HC for the last 2 events just repeated already programed platforms.
lot of effort into 2024 events and too much on the plate .
possibly working on a 2025 HC that's updated.
Cordovan said they weren't getting rid of HC just haven't any plans of one the rest of the year.
to me that's the slap in the face because this event was 50% done and wasn't updated. when they announced this.
but there are only so many resources and the live servers needs some love for the 50th anniversary events this year.

SiliconScout

um you do know you dont have to use a HC server you can go to any of the other servers and open new characters and your point pool is account level and earn easy points so this is either just being sarcastic or wrong. except for the ability to freely transfer)
Um you do know you dont get the "first" time bonus more than the "first" time you get that favor reward on a server right? The 100 favor run is absolutely worth it on every server for the points alone. Hardcore was adding a server that not only gave me nice bonus points but also 2 more account wide XP tomes that I could feed to my alts AND a mule that usually had all but the "pay" bank slots unlocked.

Since the mimic hardcore that's pretty much the only reason I ever ran it.

Tanis

Live server self HC is not anything like HC nor does it limit others to a HC environment.
from AH items availability to cost of Items on the AH to broker item availability and costs as well.
to crafting items and finding groups or players with the same caution.
You have to join permadeath guild you don’t have to limit others only yourself