One of the things this game could use.

Justfungus

There are a lot of posts suggesting what should be done to improve the game.
But one of the most important things is rarely mentioned.
The dungeons in this game need more replayability.
Currently, every dungeon plays EXACTLY like the run prior.
There is not a lot of adventure in clearing out a place you literally have memorized.
--- I am not going to suggest how to do this, that is the developer's job ---
If you want this game to have more appeal to older and newer players, find a way to
change the dungeons SIGNIFICANTLY every run.
This would improve the game significantly.

Fhrek

One Badge of Honor achieved
So you want to demand something you don't have an answer or idea for a change? Has to fell from the sky on your lap?
Sorry, if you can't do same or better, just be greatful the game has over 700 quests and the Devs are always coming with new content time from time. They nail it all the time? Hell no... but, they are trying keep it alive.

Br4d

A random dungeon system would make DDO *much* better than it is right now.

It would feed into the TR wheel, allowing people to level endlessly without having the exact same theme park each time around.

Krelar

As I recall, the game engine doesn't support random dungeons very well.

When you look at some of the dungeons that seem to have random elements. (like that paths in The shadow crypt) What is actually happening is there are multiple copies of that same map with minor changes and the game randomly picks one of the maps when you step in.

This of course mean that any time a bug is found or the devs want to change something dungeon wide they have to remember to edit every copy of the map. So they generally don't do this very often and when they do it's only a couple of different versions. (hence why there are 3 possible paths for running The Shadow Crypt)

I believe somewhere around the time of ToEE they managed to find a way to somewhat randomize traps placements and maybe mob placements, but even then you'll notice it is only bear traps and pressure plates not the wide variety if other typed of traps.

Br4d

Gianthold has several instances in which the traps move around. Not sure if there are particular templates with set trap placements or just toggled traps that are either on or off.

A Cabal for One is the best example but several of the other instances have variable traps also.

C-Dog

Easy solution: be worse at the game to the point where you don’t remember what’s in quests anymore.
i.e. Play drunk. Works like a charm. :cool:

But seriously, it's sad (yet unsurprising) how many non-responses have been offered. But such is the internet.

There are a few quests that do this, where the objectives are shuffled and require finding - the Runes to get past the Beholder cavern in Jungle of Khyber is a great example, and the keys in Sykros' Jewel is another. But the maps are the same, and all too well known by vets.

It would require some sort of modular mapping, where the modules can be connected (semi-)randomly and still flow - and I have ZERO idea if that's even possible given the engine DDO uses.

It's a nice idea, but only the Devs can say if it's even possible with the tools they have to work with.

DDO Gaming

There are a lot of posts suggesting what should be done to improve the game.
But one of the most important things is rarely mentioned.
The dungeons in this game need more replayability.
Currently, every dungeon plays EXACTLY like the run prior.
There is not a lot of adventure in clearing out a place you literally have memorized.
If you want this game to have more appeal to older and newer players, find a way to
change the dungeons SIGNIFICANTLY every run.
This would improve the game significantly.
Smoke pot and play R10 on a BIG screen. you'll think you accidently stumbled into a horror filmset :ROFLMAO:

seph1roth5

It would be cool to add some sort of 100-floor dungeon or something with random stuff. Monsters are already randomized stat-wise when you enter a quest, so it would just be the makeup of stuff. With special rooms like shrines or treasure spawning, kind of like item world in disgaea.

rabidfox

The People's Champion
As I recall, the game engine doesn't support random dungeons very well.
That's my understanding too; that the engine wasn't designed for it. Given the small dev team size, it's not likely a thing they could alocate resources on vs the many other things that need work.

Justfungus

OK, why did I not give a very specific suggestion?
2 reasons.
1- Unless you're a developer working for the company there is no way to know what the game engine can do.
and I am not an employee there.
2- From prior experience, the developers are more likely to act on general requests than a specific new idea.
This might have something to do with legal ramifications or game engine limitations, either way, you have better
luck just asking for generic stuff.

Onyxia2016

I can not say for certain but watching the dungeon creating videos as well as experience with similar game engines, I do not believe random dungeons are possible. Events and trigger points have to be scripted to occur as specific times/locations.

Vorph

I can not say for certain but watching the dungeon creating videos as well as experience with similar game engines, I do not believe random dungeons are possible. Events and trigger points have to be scripted to occur as specific times/locations.
Events and triggers can still be scripted to load depending on the game's day/night cycle for example which would give some sort of illusion of randomness, it just takes more work when creating new dungeons because a scenario has to be created for each of those possibilities.

Unfortunately as we can see from the latest vecna pack, if it's not the absolute bare minimum we can't really expect it.

FVSHasBeenEvenMoreGutted

gonna be honest, id be ok with quests being a bit different. but if the old forums is anything to say about the game now, anything changing in any amount will cause mass amounts of outrage and posts about leaving the game (when they come back 3 weeks later). not sure that's what the devs want