Orchid got nerfed HARD. BYE EVERYONE

Smokewolf

Of course it would not be OK. However, mobs don't hit players for near the HP damage and you know it.
Yeah they do... Try running R8-10 some time. Reapers and Champs can easily one-shot anyone, using a low-level spell with caster levels and damage caps that are pretty much non-existant.

Meanwhile, those same mobs have ten times the hitpoints of the typical R10 player. It's not even a comparison really. Only reason players can stomp mobs is the AI is brain-dead, and thus get boosted in every way imaginable to provide a challenge.

Would be far better to scale mobs to comparible levels, and then improve the AI to behave like a player would. Hordes of mobs would no longer be required, as a handful of mobs suddenly is a huge threat to even the most experienced of players.

Last edited:

Fizban

Yeah they do... Try running R8-10 some time. Reapers and Champs can easily one-shot anyone, using a low-level spell with caster levels and damage caps that are pretty much non-existant.

Meanwhile, those same mobs have ten times the hitpoints of the typical R10 player.
I run R8+ a lot and yes I do see that happen occasionally. But the I would say 90% plus of the time we run R10's with little to no deaths. The percentage of the 1-hitters is small enough that in my opinion it's not an issue.

vryxnr

I need to test this more, but I noticed during the anniversary event that "epic strikes", at least some of the caster ones, are coded as level 4 or less, as Tonquin (the lich) is immune to them, damage and effects, due to the lich's Mantle of Invulnerability.

Because for the most part epic strikes are now a DPS loss vs my normal rotation of attacks, I do not use them except for sometimes Nightmare Lance from shadow dancer and that is ONLY for applying debuffs to bosses for better long term dps.

Which is, imo, very sad.

PraetorPlato

To be fair there should never be 1-hit or 1-spell that can do 80-90k in damage. Sometimes it is important to make adjustments to keep the game balanced and within cartoonish content.
There are plenty of single buttons that can hit for well over 90k. Orchard blossom, though, scaled ...substantially higher than that. Scaling on two things at once causes some fairly large issues!

PraetorPlato

But it's OK when mobs do it to players though right? Cause last time I checked, many mobs don't have caps to their MCL.
Yes! On high difficulties, mobs should be able to hit for large amounts of damage, that is a form of challenge for players who want it.

Kimbere

The bit i get a chuckle out of is the OP posting a thread saying he did 172k damage in late Feb with blossom, 2 pages suggesting it's broken and going to get fixed, and now that it's fixed, he's quitting. Shame to lose players from the game - not always a shame to lose posters from the forums...
Wait, people think a 172k damage activated attack is overpowered? Was that in R4 or something?

That's decent but not amazing.

Kimbere

You could scale it a ...bit higher than that as a AoE. It was a little oppressive.
I see.

I just finished reading through the original thread it about. I had originally ignored that thread as I thought it was just another "Hey look at my all-the-stars-and-planets-aligned crit on a fully debuffed mob." thread.

As a perfect scenario crit, 172k isn't impressive but after reading that thread, I gather one could get fairly consistent crits like that due to the bug. So yeah that was obviously not WAI.

PraetorPlato

I see.

I just finished reading through the original thread it about. I had originally ignored that thread as I thought it was just another "Hey look at my all-the-stars-and-planets-aligned crit on a fully debuffed mob." thread.

As a perfect scenario crit, 172k isn't impressive but after reading that thread, I gather one could get fairly consistent crits like that due to the bug. So yeah that was obviously not WAI.
Yeah, not stars aligned, it was just scaling off of everything at once, which has some issues associated.

Silverfox

Then posts at: 10:10, 10:16, 10:19, 10:21, 10:21, 10:21, 10.28, 10:28, 10:29, 10:29, 11:08, 11:08, 11:17, 11:24, 11:37: 11:39, 11:41, 11:44, 11:46,
11:54, 12:06, 12:19, 12:20, 12:21, 12:46, 12:54, 12:54, 12:58, 12:59, 1:13, 1:40, 1:43, 1:43, 1:45, 1:46, 1:47 ...

... and wonder's why nobody took that seriously. :unsure:

You do realize there is playing the game and then there is playing the forum game.

Drachmor

The bit i get a chuckle out of is the OP posting a thread saying he did 172k damage in late Feb with blossom, 2 pages suggesting it's broken and going to get fixed, and now that it's fixed, he's quitting. Shame to lose players from the game - not always a shame to lose posters from the forums...
I mean... you can't really call 172k->3.5k "fixed," can you? I've never heard of someone getting as high as 172k (that sounds like a gross outlier to me), but even taking them at their word... would you really be okay with a balance change that takes something and makes it

*one 50th*

of what it used to be?

Even assuming they are cherry-picking the best and the worst... are we really to accept that this epic strike is a *tenth* of what it used to be? We should all sincerely hope this is a bug.

Reactions: DBZ