Permanent gold seal hirelings.

geltril

Are any of the permanent gold seal hirelings any good? Ive found Teal from IOD to be good. At least he self regenerates HP and knocks mobs down. Anyone others for a level 32? Is the new rat rogue from Vecna Unleashed worth anything? Albereth Whelen, the regular lvl30 hire seems ok as a healer. Anyone better?

Misadventure

Killing everybody on Hardcore with pleasure.
Owlbear is a good tank if it isnt stuck in small places.

Shield guardian is good at self heal, otherwise useless.

Scarecrow is so slow dont bother, by the time it catch up fight's over.

Teal got a good knock down, the heroic version dosent have any self heal though, if only there is the blood pack clicky.

Feywild Muse has a nice sonic boom, its kind of slow also but is offset by the ranged spell, also it can also heal but as a bard once its out of gas thats it.

Frogo is good for traps, but sometimes it gets stuck trying to disable, i have never notice if it got sneak attack but it can tank quite well.

Elleri Thistledown is ok in fights, good for restoring your spell bar, diligently heals also. People still use it on epics to restore SP. (Note the plat version is useless.)

I'll tell you about your Darling when I bring her in the room ok? :sneaky:(y)

Gyuma Bei

Are any of the permanent gold seal hirelings any good? Ive found Teal from IOD to be good. At least he self regenerates HP and knocks mobs down. Anyone others for a level 32? Is the new rat rogue from Vecna Unleashed worth anything? Albereth Whelen, the regular lvl30 hire seems ok as a healer. Anyone better?
Frogo (Heroic version) is probably the best right now, especially if you're doing TR loops. His lockpicking, trap finding, and disable is high enough to do the early to mid teens (13-16 level). With buffs, he can do even better. Really good for getting those Quest XP bonuses. The Legendary version is of course better, but by the time you get to use him, you'll be TR-ing again.

Shield Guardian (both versions) do great as tanks. It can take a lot of punishment and heal itself while you strafe from a distance. However, like the Owl bear, if you go through a door too small for it, it can get stuck and mess with its limited A.I.

Teal is good for dedicated pack tactics (Druid and Dark Hunter Ranger), but can't heal itself, so ideally you have a separate hireling to back it up.

Elleri is useful, but there's no way to get her right now. The Starter Pack isn't available even through Steam.

h46av8r

Once you start running reaper no hireling is really going to help you much in combat (for long). But, as mentioned above lots of ancillary usefulness like Froggo for disabling traps for the bonus XP and Elieri for the spell point regen. I'll add the 5 min blur at level 5 you get from the Feywild muse is really nice at low level. And 15 min blur from Shield Guardian at level 15 if you don't want to figure out how to get that in your gearset.

Matuse

Frogo is amazing. Teal is pretty good. Elieri (if you have her) is super useful as a mana battery if nothing else.

The other gold seals are pretty meh. They can throw levers and stand on pressure pads, although that's a mechanic which hasn't been used in quite a while.

Misadventure

Killing everybody on Hardcore with pleasure.
Frogo is amazing. Teal is pretty good. Elieri (if you have her) is super useful as a mana battery if nothing else.

The other gold seals are pretty meh. They can throw levers and stand on pressure pads, although that's a mechanic which hasn't been used in quite a while.
Please dont set flags. 😜

Darling is really good at trap skills, but his armor appears to be made of tissue paper... Really helpful for solo leveling if you have no rogue/artificer levels.

FaceDancer

Olde Wurm
Severlin once upon a time suggested that hirelings would be able to level up and be maintained at some point. I suspect that won't happen but it could.... (don't hold your breath)

JustHavingFunBro

Frogo (Heroic version) is probably the best right now, especially if you're doing TR loops. His lockpicking, trap finding, and disable is high enough to do the early to mid teens (13-16 level). With buffs, he can do even better. Really good for getting those Quest XP bonuses. The Legendary version is of course better, but by the time you get to use him, you'll be TR-ing again.

Shield Guardian (both versions) do great as tanks. It can take a lot of punishment and heal itself while you strafe from a distance. However, like the Owl bear, if you go through a door too small for it, it can get stuck and mess with its limited A.I.

Teal is good for dedicated pack tactics (Druid and Dark Hunter Ranger), but can't heal itself, so ideally you have a separate hireling to back it up.

Elleri is useful, but there's no way to get her right now. The Starter Pack isn't available even through Steam.
Is there a way to get the hirelings? I haven't been able to find any in the store. I only have Darling.

Thanks.

Is there a way to get the hirelings? I haven't been able to find any in the store. I only have Darling.

Thanks.

the muses, shield guardians and frogos can be gotten if you purchase the xpack bundles still that offer them.

the older ones: scarecrow, owlbear, onyx panther, lionesses and elieri can not right now be purchased as their bundles are not offered in the current stores.

Gyuma Bei

Thanks.
Collector's Edition and Ultimate Fan Bundles of expansion packs have the hirelings: Shield Guardian is included in Sharn, Frogo with Saltmarsh, Satyr Muse in Feywild, and Teal Raptor in Isle of Dread.

Unfortunately, the older Expacks are not available and, thus, their associated Permanent Hirelings are not either (Scarecrow, Owlbear, Onyx Panther).

Onyxia2016

I will never understand why SSG does not offer the old expansion for purchase. There are many that were late to the party that would pay real money for them to get not only the hirelings but teleport clickies.

I misses the Ravenloft bundle. I got the content via the Treasure Trove bundle and the Vistani Tree and Asimar race through favor but I would still pay for the bundle as it was originally offered.

Seems like it would be easy money for SSG, as they would not have to do much to make it available again.

JustHavingFunBro

Collector's Edition and Ultimate Fan Bundles of expansion packs have the hirelings: Shield Guardian is included in Sharn, Frogo with Saltmarsh, Satyr Muse in Feywild, and Teal Raptor in Isle of Dread.

Unfortunately, the older Expacks are not available and, thus, their associated Permanent Hirelings are not either (Scarecrow, Owlbear, Onyx Panther).
Interesting. I own Feywikd, Sharn and Saltmarsh. I wonder if I am supposed to talk to someone to get my rewards.

edit: I guess I just bought regular edition. Is there no way to upgrade? I see it in the store. I guess no discount.

Last edited:

Br4d

I will never understand why SSG does not offer the old expansion for purchase. There are many that were late to the party that would pay real money for them to get not only the hirelings but teleport clickies.

I misses the Ravenloft bundle. I got the content via the Treasure Trove bundle and the Vistani Tree and Asimar race through favor but I would still pay for the bundle as it was originally offered.

Seems like it would be easy money for SSG, as they would not have to do much to make it available again.

There is a fascination with FOMO (currently in abeyance with double points and Otto's Boxes available at the same time) that I think does not take into account the player base at this time.

Many of us are older and moving into fixed incomes where spending pre-emptively just isn't going to happen most of the time. Some of us are younger Millennials who pinch pennies with the best penny pinchers and measure out our purchases very carefully. The free-spending boomers and older Millennials of 2014 do not exist any more and are unlikely to make a return.