Please explain clickies for me

Grimstad

Do you simply have to equip a clickie, or do you have to double click on it for it to work?

For example, I have a Shard Trinket of Greater Restoration. Will it absorb negative levels if I simply equip it, or do I have to double click on it?

Or, If I have a Voice of the Master clickie equipped, and the Shard Trinket of Greater Restoration on a hotbar, how would I use the Shard Trinket to absorb negative levels?

What are your best practices for making the most of clickies?

Thanks in advance

Pineapple

Clickies are kind of like scrolls but on items. They don't passively do anything but once you equip them you can click them from your hotbar to cast the spell/effect.

In this case if you have negative levels you can equip the trinket then click it again to cast greater restoration, removing all your negative levels.

There are items that will passively block/absorb negative levels but this isn't one of them.

DDO Gaming

Do you simply have to equip a clickie, or do you have to double click on it for it to work?

For example, I have a Shard Trinket of Greater Restoration. Will it absorb negative levels if I simply equip it, or do I have to double click on it?

Or, If I have a Voice of the Master clickie equipped, and the Shard Trinket of Greater Restoration on a hotbar, how would I use the Shard Trinket to absorb negative levels?

Thanks in advance
clickies work like spells except you also need to equip the item. After that you place the clickie on the shortcut bar and clickon on it

DDO Gaming

if you've never used a spell you need to drag/drop the spell onto the shortcut bar so you can click on it. DDO is great once everything is up and running but getting to that point...

vryxnr

Clickie = you click on it (with your mouse) to activate it. Most clickies require being equipped first.

Voice of the Master is not a clicky, as everything it does happens just by having it equipped. A clicky is something you equip, then click on to gain a bonus effect/cast a spell.

As mentioned, moving the item to your hotbar is how to do this. If it's not already equipped, clicking on it on the hotbar will equip it. Once it's equipped, clicking it on your hotbar will cast the spell/activate the ability, hence, clicky.

DDO Gaming

Clickie = you click on it (with your mouse) to activate it.
and once grimstad becomes an advanced gamer they can try binding keyboard keys to shortcut bars. there is nothing more wonderful than hitting a key on your numeric keypad and seeing the fireball fly :) (y)

dur

aka Cybersquirt
Don't mention the Jeweler's Toolkit vs Sentient Removal Tool - both work different. If you're really lucky, the "clickie" has information on how to work it.

PurpleSerpent

Monster Hunter of Moderate Renown

Thanks in advance
As others have mentioned above, you can activate the effect on a clicky either by dragging it to a hotbar, or double clicking it in your inventory. I will also contribute that it's not just clickies that can be added to your hotbar - you can also put any non-equippable item with an activated effect there, which is very useful for certain potions (particularly Potions of Remove Curse.)

Scrag

Clickies are the lifeblood of many characters.

Shield clickies, heroism clickies, heal clickies, (greater discorporation!!!), invis, you name it. Good stuff!

Just remember to equip your original equip after you swap to clickie.

saekee

long live ROGUE
Just remember to equip your original equip after you swap to clickie.
This! Key thing with clickies—1) equip; 2) click on them for activation; 3) equip item that they replaced in step#1. Hence on a shortcut bar with a clickie, you will have two items. For example, imagine you have the boots of expedited retreat from Korthos. All they do is help you run. Your regular boots have feather falling and Dex +3. So you have a shortcut bar with the dex featherfall boots, and next to it the expeditious retreat boots. You rapidly click on the expeditious boots essentially twice to activate the run boost, then the dex/ff boots to re-equip the regular ones.

All clickies share the same annoying cooldown

h46av8r

Clickies are great for classes that can't cast those spells themselves. On melee builds, I'll carry several copies of 3x clickie Shield, Protection from Evil, Jump, etc. On a related note, if you are in a guild, make sure to periodically check what the NPC Naura Beesbliss (in Three Finger Thads) is offering - she uncommonly sells clickies of level 1 spells including the ones I just listed. It seems like she refreshes her list every hour or so.

Jasparius

I love clickies on all my toons. Haste, Invis, Shield, Death Ward, Greater Hero, Stoneskin, Jump, Striding and probably many more I cant think of right now.

Grimstad

Great info, guys. Sometimes you have to ask the dumb question.

Tell me then, what's the difference between items where the green bar is at the bottom (such as Shard Trinket of Greater Restoration, and Visor of the Flesh Render Guards) and items where the green bar is at the top (such as Beholder Optic Nerves and Sacred Helm)?

Is one type passive while the other is a clickie, or are both clickies and the location of the green bar is meaningless?

PurpleSerpent

Monster Hunter of Moderate Renown
Great info, guys. Sometimes you have to ask the dumb question.

Tell me then, what's the difference between items where the green bar is at the bottom (such as Shard Trinket of Greater Restoration, and Visor of the Flesh Render Guards) and items where the green bar is at the top (such as Beholder Optic Nerves and Sacred Helm)?

Is one type passive while the other is a clickie, or are both clickies and the location of the green bar is meaningless?
If the green bar is at the top of the item's description box, the item isn't a clicky - it's an absorption item. Absorption items trigger passively while equipped in response to a certain negative effect (for Sacred Helm, that's a negative energy spell or Level Drain effect, whereas for Beholder Optic Nerves it's a Beholder eye beam.) The item will then automatically expend one of its charges to nullify the incoming effect.

The green bar at the top shows how many charges the item has, and how often it regenerates those charges, if at all. Clickies also have a charge bar, but it's at the bottom of the box next to the description of the effect the clicky has. I don't believe any items have both an absorption effect and a clicky effect.

Everbright

This! Key thing with clickies—1) equip; 2) click on them for activation; 3) equip item that they replaced in step#1. Hence on a shortcut bar with a clickie, you will have two items. For example, imagine you have the boots of expedited retreat from Korthos. All they do is help you run. Your regular boots have feather falling and Dex +3. So you have a shortcut bar with the dex featherfall boots, and next to it the expeditious retreat boots. You rapidly click on the expeditious boots essentially twice to activate the run boost, then the dex/ff boots to re-equip the regular ones.

All clickies share the same annoying cooldown

this, plus here's a method that works well for me on controller and keyboard
to make sure i re-equip my combat gear, i place it on an 'anchor hotbar' so i can quickly check / switch to it if needed.
(eg. modifier+start for main gearset bar, then d-pad up to next hotbar for clickies)

Clickies are great for classes that can't cast those spells themselves. On melee builds, I'll carry several copies of 3x clickie Shield, Protection from Evil, Jump, etc. On a related note, if you are in a guild, make sure to periodically check what the NPC Naura Beesbliss (in Three Finger Thads) is offering - she uncommonly sells clickies of level 1 spells including the ones I just listed. It seems like she refreshes her list every hour or so.

this is a great way to find 1x Invisibility clickies, and occasionally 3x Expeditious Retreat and 3x Feather Fall, along with 3x Shield clickies these can all be quite valuable.
on my ship i have a chest marked for 'Beesbliss Finds', stocked with the highest value gems for quick cash. i think the vendor's instance/stock resets a fair bit quicker though, more like 5 minutes last time i checked (at least a few months ago, quite possibly more)

Archest

the spell clickies are like wands.
equip then use.

if your clicky takes a spot and you ant to switch back after using
place them both in the hot bar.
the one your using in the slot will be highlighted
you can switch back and forth from the hot bar.

l_remmie

Clickies have their uses but they are a bit cumbersome. Don't use them for spells you can scroll, wand or potion. Saving a few gp is not worth it.

Shield clickies are worth it if you lack the umd for a wand.
The clickies with deathward or greater heroism are always great for anyone who can't cast those.

Almost all the offensive spell clickies or short duration clickies are not worth it unless you are wearing the item anyway.