Please explain like I'm stupid 2 questions

Altra

I'm currently running an arti, and I really need to know how to figure this out.

Question 1:
CL vs ML vs inscription materials

Say I have a scroll of Deadly Weapons that I want to inscribe.

It's CL 15
ML 13
But it takes level 6 inscription materials. (Not 7 or 8 or even 9)

Is there math I can do? (CL minus ML plus I dunno, tidal charts for New Zealand or something?)
I have tried, but I can't find a math answer that works for all.

Question 2:

We're running arounf the High Road, and pick up a quest that can only be done at night. Cool.
How do we figure out what (RL) time to go back and do it?
Is there a chart? (I assume based on GMT) or how do I figure this out.

Lazuli

You are not stupid, devs do hard to figure this. 5 mins so I can go to computer, and will explain it. I hate write on phone.

Phoenicis

Savage's Husband
The inscription level it takes to scribe a scroll is what level of spell it is, when looking at the spell tab what level will it show up at. GENERALLY for arties it's gonna be Half ML plus 1 if memory serves.

Day/night in the wilderness areas cycle, unfortunately I have never taken the time to sort out the timing. If I get one of those 'nighttime' optionals and it's not up right then I just move on.

Altra

Thanks, Phoenicis. How do I know what level the spell will show up at if I don't have it yet? That's what I'm trying to figure out.

Hobgoblin

Grumpy Old man
going by what phoenicis wrote... if it says 6 you multiply 6 * 2 then add one

but that math is off as thats 13

i have just memorized it as i know arti 6 spells are 15

popejubal

I'm currently running an arti, and I really need to know how to figure this out.

Question 1:

It's CL 15
ML 13

Is there math I can do? (CL minus ML plus I dunno, tidal charts for New Zealand or something?)

Question 2:

We're running arounf the High Road, and pick up a quest that can only be done at night. Cool.
How do we figure out what (RL) time to go back and do it?
Is there a chart? (I assume based on GMT) or how do I figure this out.

1) I just end up looking them up on the DDO wiki

2) It's night time in town and wilderness about 20 minutes every 3 hours. I like it because it's pretty, but there's no specific clock time that I know of.

Lazuli

Okay, let's see. What it says on the scrolls (CL) is also the minimum level at which the arti receives the spell. Thus, when it says arti CL 3 it means that arti receives it at level 3, and if it says art CL 12 it means that it receives it at level 12.

The rule that Phoenix says doesn't work very well. What you have to keep in mind is that the arti receives its spells every three levels starting at level 3. Thus, at level 1, 3, 6, 9, 12, 15. I think it is easier to count the three levels to know the spell level than anything else. Do you see a CL 15 scroll? That requires lv 6 mats. A CL 9 scroll? That requires lv 4 mats. It's a bit confusing, I know.

In my opinion the devs have complicated this a lot. They had to set the level of the spell in addition to the minimum CL to use it.

The second thing, there is no rule to know. That rare in High Road needs it to be dark night, and there is no other choice but to wait until it gets dark. And be careful, it's not it's night and you start to see the stars. No, it has to be dark night (you notice it because the sky becomes very dark, in addition to still having stars)

Last edited:

Lazuli

Thank you so much, Everyone.
I think I might be starting to get a handle on this game, and I've been playing less than 3 years!
It's a miracle 🤣
It's a complex game and things are not always well explained. There is also a lack of guides for beginners.

Players who are familiar with D&D 3ed have a good base to start with (although there are many different things, but having bases like this help a lot), but for those starting from scratch, uffffff, there are many concepts to learn.

But I like this complexity!

Tonquin has made some changes that have been needed for a long time, like ordering the mats in the vendors (thanks so much for that!), I think if we told him that adding a line to the scrolls with the true level of the spell would be useful to the new ones he would do it.

FaceDancer

Olde Wurm
You're not alone. I've always had trouble with spell inscribing. I usually keep a stock of different level inscribing materials on hand and do a bunch at a time to kinda "shotgun" everything. 😵‍💫

Lazuli

Wizards gain a spell level at off numers (1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13 ,15, 17...) until lv 17. Here the rule half+1 is good (although for me it is automatic after decades playing pnp).

Artis and alchs gain spell level every 3 levels after 3 until lv 15 (1, 3, 6, 9, 12, 15). For these 2 guys I prefer count the levels.

dur

aka Cybersquirt

Question 1:

It's CL 15
ML 13

This is my main beef with spell-casters all.. the stupid inscription materials we have to buy are stupid. So there's that. Since when did Casters need materials, other than scroll, to learn a spell? Feh!

Okay, let's see. What it says on the scrolls (CL) is also the minimum level at which the arti receives the spell. Thus, when it says arti CL 3 it means that arti receives it at level 3, and if it says art CL 12 it means that it receives it at level 12.

The rule that Phoenix says doesn't work very well. What you have to keep in mind is that the arti receives its spells every three levels starting at level 3. Thus, at level 1, 3, 6, 9, 12, 15. I think it is easier to count the three levels to know the spell level than anything else. Do you see a CL 15 scroll? That requires lv 6 mats. A CL 9 scroll? That requires lv 4 mats. It's a bit confusing, I know.

In my opinion the devs have complicated this a lot. They had to set the level of the spell in addition to the minimum CL to use it.

The second thing, there is no rule to know. That rare in High Road needs it to be dark night, and there is no other choice but to wait until it gets dark. And be careful, it's not it's night and you start to see the stars. No, it has to be dark night (you notice it because the sky becomes very dark, in addition to still having stars)
+1000000 tod should be based on CPU clock.. least that's how Dungeon Keeper 2 did it..

Thank you so much, Everyone.
I think I might be starting to get a handle on this game, and I've been playing less than 3 years!
It's a miracle 🤣
I've been playing (casually) for durn near 20 n I still don't know 'most' of it o_O

dur

aka Cybersquirt
[..]

Tonquin has made some changes that have been needed for a long time, like ordering the mats in the vendors (thanks so much for that!), I think if we told him that adding a line to the scrolls with the true level of the spell would be useful to the new ones he would do it.
Say what now? And, if that's all it takes to make it simpler, I'm for it.

Lazuli

This is my main beef with spell-casters all.. the stupid inscription materials we have to buy are stupid. So there's that. Since when did Casters need materials, other than scroll, to learn a spell? Feh!
In pnp, in addition to the scroll or another spell book from which to copy the spell, special inks are needed, which are expensive (in 3.5 it was 100 gp/page and each spell level cost one page). These special inks are intended to imitate in DDO with the inscription materials, but in a bad way in my opinion.

I would like to change the inscription materials for an "arcane ink" with 10 or more uses (there could be inkwells with different numbers of doses), and to use as many doses of the ink as the spell level for that class. More faithful to pnp and less hassle for players.

But I proposed this many times and devs never listened to me. Of course, maybe Tonquin would be now receptive to the idea, he is the dev I have seen most open to QoL changes.

Note: when I talk about dosage I'm talking about the amount of ink used per spell level, I'm not sure what the correct word is in English to define that.

dur

aka Cybersquirt
Never played PnP, was too busy doing other things n hearing from imbeciles how it was "the Devil." *..but I know someone who has all, or most of the books. ..quit DnD games at 3.5, I guess, or digital took over n it's a v.large gaming world.

Balder's Gate was my big intro to DnD. Never needed naught but the scroll and the skill to read it.

Honestly, if they gonna use the "but PnP," I call BS. Why not make it as simple as 3.5 n pay plat? (and NOT effing AS!)

Last edited:

Lazuli

Never played PnP, was too busy doing other things n hearing from imbeciles how it was "the Devil." ..quit PC games at 3.5, I guess, or digital took over n it's a v.large gaming world.

Balder's Gate was my big intro to DnD. Never needed naught but the scroll and the skill to read it.

Honestly, if they gonna use the "but PnP," I call BS. Why not make it as simple as 3.5 n pay plat? (and NOT effing AS!)
When I say pnp I mean precisely that, 3.5. In 3.5 you don't use platinum to inscribe, you pay platinum for special inks that cost that money.

What I am saying is 100% 3.5. Many people when playing 3.5 at the table simply say "I'll discount 100 platinum to inscribe this lv 1 spell in my spellbook." It is simple speed to solve tasks that may not need to be role-played. But really what you're supposed to have done is use a special ink worth 100 gp.

Writing a New Spell into a Spellbook​

Once a wizard understands a new spell, she can record it into her spellbook.

Time​

The process takes 24 hours, regardless of the spell’s level.

Space in the Spellbook​

A spell takes up one page of the spellbook per spell level. Even a 0-level spell (cantrip) takes one page. A spellbook has one hundred pages.

Materials and Costs​

Materials for writing the spell cost 100 gp per page.

Note that a wizard does not have to pay these costs in time or gold for the spells she gains for free at each new level.
As you can see, in the SRD it says that materials are needed, in several parts of the 3.0/3.5 manual they mentioned special inks, which is logical. You don't need paper because you're copying it to your spellbook, so what do you need? Ink lol

What is needed to simplify the process for players?

- Components simplified into one (I prefer renamed to Arcane inwkwell, but name is not important) that comes in various sizes (small, medium and large). Veterans who have plat will be able to buy the large one, but a new player may not have plat to buy the large one, so it is good to have several sizes. (If you have played HC you will see how expensive it is to be a wizard when you don't have platinum accumulated lol) You spend as many doses as the spell level.

-That all scroll sellers sell this component. It's super irritating having to buy artificer spells at Cannith house and then go to the market to buy components. Or going down all the time to the lower floor in the portable hole.

The initial game was quite faithful to the pnp edition on which it was based, that's why they use inscription components, but it fails in that they have put a different component for each spell level. For God's sake, that's complicating things, a single component, you spend more of the component depending on the level of the spell. And it makes sense when you think that this component has to be an ink, and that each page is always worth the same, the only difference is that the higher the level of the spell, the more complex it is and the longer it is, and therefore it takes up more pages.

Last edited: